TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapao88

Nov 17, 2021
Hi all! I'm a recent non-law graduate (graduated this year) with no VCs or Open Days for anything so far as I'm just now trying to break through to law. A question before I submit the VC app to NRF:

I'm not overly confident about my work experience and cover letter combination as although you can submit a cover letter, work experience needs to all fit within 2 limited text boxes and then there's a 200 word max supplement text box for "anything else".

The thing is, I've done a lot of volunteering, society work, extracurriculars, let alone having part-time work right now as a waitress which is technically my current job but obviously not as related to law as other experiences I could list (such as a month working as a paralegal in a small London immigration firm last year, and shadowing a boutique commercial solicitor). Does volunteering even count as 'work' experience if I did it for free, and society stuff?

Additionally, in the Cover Letter I think I want to explain why I want to work with NRF which is related to my interest in IP Law and life sciences, and how I've lived in many different countries so the global scale of their transactions is particularly appealing etc. So... my Q's are:

- Should/can I put volunteering as work?
- Is it advisable to not mention anything from the 'work experience' sections in the cover letter to expand my reach?
- In the "anything else" textbox... bulletpoint-style?

Bonus question, mitigating circumstances... I am just explicitly listing "X happened to me and also Y the month after" instead of talking about how I persevered against the odds, or whatever. That's what you're supposed to do, right?

Thank you so much in advance! I don't know if this is allowed (if this isn't allowed I retract the second part of this) but if anyone wants to talk privately about NRF apps and things I'm free to do so as well :)

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
Hi all! I'm a recent non-law graduate (graduated this year) with no VCs or Open Days for anything so far as I'm just now trying to break through to law. A question before I submit the VC app to NRF:

I'm not overly confident about my work experience and cover letter combination as although you can submit a cover letter, work experience needs to all fit within 2 limited text boxes and then there's a 200 word max supplement text box for "anything else".

The thing is, I've done a lot of volunteering, society work, extracurriculars, let alone having part-time work right now as a waitress which is technically my current job but obviously not as related to law as other experiences I could list (such as a month working as a paralegal in a small London immigration firm last year, and shadowing a boutique commercial solicitor). Does volunteering even count as 'work' experience if I did it for free, and society stuff?

Additionally, in the Cover Letter I think I want to explain why I want to work with NRF which is related to my interest in IP Law and life sciences, and how I've lived in many different countries so the global scale of their transactions is particularly appealing etc. So... my Q's are:

- Is it advisable to not mention anything from the 'work experience' sections in the cover letter to expand my reach?

Bonus question, mitigating circumstances... I am just explicitly listing "X happened to me and also Y the month after" instead of talking about how I persevered against the odds, or whatever. That's what you're supposed to do, right?

Thank you so much in advance! I don't know if this is allowed (if this isn't allowed I retract the second part of this) but if anyone wants to talk privately about NRF apps and things I'm free to do so as well :)
Hi, best of luck with everything!! Here's my take on your qs:

1. Yes definitely mention your volunteering. All work experience is worth mentioning and I'm sure you got some "transferable skills" out of it
2. I believe the vibe is only mention it in your cover letter if you're going to expand on it and talk about why its relevant to whatever you're writing - don't just chuck it in the cover letter as a repeat of the work experience section
3. I think bullet points are fine but I'm not 100% sure

Bonus q - yep just tell them the circumstances and how it affected you. No need to do a perseverance spiel.

Hope that's helpful! Good luck

Reactions: James Carrabino

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Hi @kapao88

I would stress that many non-law applicants will have a similar profile to you at your stage of academics. Just because you don't have any open days or VS now doesn't mean you won't in the next six months!

I would not include your society experiences in work experience - these are typically classed as extracurriculars rather than work experience. Volunteer roles are a grey area and could fall into either work experience or extracurriculars - it tends to be much more what the role was that may determine its category rather than the definition of volunteer.

I would avoid any repetition across the application, so if you cover something in a work experience section, I wouldn't cover the same experiences in a cover letter. However, you could talk about your responsibilities in your work experience section and then what you enjoyed about the work or how it has shaped your career motivations in your cover letter - this would mean you are not repeating detail as the purpose of each section is different.

For mitigating circumstances, focus on very brief factual elements on how the circumstances impacted your abilities. E.g. did they mean you missed lectures or did they mean you could not attend an exam? Someone could have the same circumstances but it could impact them in very different ways. Try to be specific with timeframes and how they impacted more so than the detail of what the circumstances were.

Hope this helps, but let me know if you have any questions or need clarity on any of the above points!

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hey, I completely get how you’re feeling! It’s really hard to think positively when you get bad news but you have to keep going. For some context, I did one unsuccessful vac scheme AC, one successful vac scheme AC (but no TC offer), one unsuccessful direct TC AC and finally one successful direct TC AC which I have accepted!
Hey, thanks for the response mate and congrats on the TC offers!

Reactions: sm2020

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
The rejection is a killer I completely get where you're coming from. You just have to keep trying and going to events etc until something sticks! In terms of advice, get as much feedback from the places you had ACs at as you can - then you can focus in on what to improve for your next one. There are some v useful resources on here too for stuff like case studies so make the most of those. It can seem pretty bleak sometimes but getting to the AC stage is impressive in its own right so try and keep trucking. And for context I failed 3 ACs before I got a vac scheme. Best of luck
Appreciate the kind words, thank you! and congrats on getting there in the end!

Reactions: tc.la.vs
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.