TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
Jan 25, 2021
Hi, any clue about how to answer Baker McKenzie's first VS question: "Tell us about something that 'excites' or 'inspires' you."

I have topics that I am 'interested' in. But what does excite or inspire mean? Does it mean something that makes such inspired to work?

Further, does it have to be a 'topic' or can it be an activity or a hobby too?

@Jessica Booker please help!

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hi, any clue about how to answer Baker McKenzie's first VS question: "Tell us about something that 'excites' or 'inspires' you."

I have topics that I am 'interested' in. But what does excite or inspire mean? Does it mean something that makes such inspired to work?

I have seen previous apps of people talking about both a hobby and a topic, I believe it is completely up to you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It can be an activity or hobby - but make sure if that is the case that it is something you can talk about (eg not just a passing hobby). You should also ensure you don’t try to use the answer to demonstrate your skill set through that hobby (this is not what the question is wanting from you).

My advice is just choose something you are passionate about.

Reactions: AvniD and GXA123

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    In an interview, when answering a question on a 'firm's deal of interest', do you think it's fine to answer about a deal worked on by European teams (not London), even though i'm applying for the London office? The London team have strength in the area of this deal though, and it's one of genuine interest that I could talk about.. Any thoughts welcome!

quitestressed

Standard Member
    Nov 19, 2021
    When writing a cover letter which is addressed to the graduate recruitment team, do you use yours sincerely or yours faithfully to sign off? I get that YF is for when you don't know their name, but not sure which is best in this instance? TIA!!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    When writing a cover letter which is addressed to the graduate recruitment team, do you use yours sincerely or yours faithfully to sign off? I get that YF is for when you don't know their name, but not sure which is best in this instance? TIA!!
    Yours sincerely is always a safe option in my experience.

Reactions: quitestressed

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    In an interview, when answering a question on a 'firm's deal of interest', do you think it's fine to answer about a deal worked on by European teams (not London), even though i'm applying for the London office? The London team have strength in the area of this deal though, and it's one of genuine interest that I could talk about.. Any thoughts welcome!
    Maybe consider bringing in other examples, including one of the London team's deals, in the same area to elaborate on/support why this particular deal stood out to you and interested you. It could help do away with some of the doubt that may accompany leaving out the London office from your answer!

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Yours sincerely is always a safe option in my experience.
    Yours sincerely = name.
    Yours faithfully = no name.

Law professor suggestion

lw2000

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2021
    For NRF spring scheme application, it has space for two references but only one of them has a * next to it, does that mean that only one (the academic one) is necessary and the other is optional?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think that is fine, especially if there are some ties to London (eg it might lead to work in London with the client/as you have said the team in London has strengths in this area).

Reactions: AvniD and syw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As you don’t know the person’s actual name (eg the person is unknown) it should be yours faithfully.

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    I submitted my application to Reed Smith on Wednesday and understand there should be an automated SST. I have not received the link or be told where to take the test. Is this normal or if I should speak to GR about it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.