TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Have realised I've made some spelling mistakes in my cover letter- is it bad to withdraw and submit again?
It isn't necessarily a solution to the problem. Some firms are likely to question why you have withdrawn and then reapplied and many application systems won't allow you to apply twice to the same vacancy.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Does anyone know what the Slaughter and May written exercise consists of? E.g. is it M&A based, how long do they give you to do it, and how many pages is the document? Would appreciate any help :)
    It's a business scenario (not necessarily M&A) and they give you an hour to do it on a fairly old laptop :p the document has a few pages, 6-8 if I remember correctly.

Reactions: G P

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    It doesn’t necessarily need to be a step by step account, but you should be explaining the key actions you took to accomplish the achievement. I don’t think you necessarily have to talk about the skills you used - these might be obvious from your actions. If they are not obvious, then it might be ok to explain the skills, but 9 times out of 10 I suspect these can be clearly inferred from your description anyway.
    Thank you!

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    How long generally does it take for Simmons to get back after app/SJT? (For Bristol VS)
    From my experience, if they plan to progress you to the next stage it doesn't take them long to get in touch. Usually between one and two weeks, at least in my case. However, I believe that they take longer to reject you.

Reactions: rose0904

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi guys, how do you read this question: Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.

I am not sure what they mean by extra-curricular activities because to me that would mean the same thing as interests in the question, but obviously not. I think this question is focusing solely on my non-work activities, but don't know how to differentiate between extra-curricular activities and leisure interests. @Jessica Booker please can you share your insight?

Reactions: AP2000

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, how do you read this question: Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.

I am not sure what they mean by extra-curricular activities because to me that would mean the same thing as interests in the question, but obviously not. I think this question is focusing solely on my non-work activities, but don't know how to differentiate between extra-curricular activities and leisure interests. @Jessica Booker please can you share your insight?
    I don’t think you have to differentiate for the purpose of this question. It is basically just asking you to detail what you do outside of work or education, and extra curricular activities and leisure interests jointly cover a broader range of activities than just one or the other.

Reactions: AvniD

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I don’t think you have to differentiate for the purpose of this question. It is basically just asking you to detail what you do outside of work or education, and extra curricular activities and leisure interests jointly cover a broader range of activities than just one or the other.
    Okay, that makes sense. Thanks, Jess!

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    @Jessica Booker

On the online application form for quite a few vacation schemes (including that of Simmons & Simmons), candidates are asked to give the "Year Commenced" under the "Secondary Education [14-16]" section; do candidates give the year they started the "14-16" period of their secondary education, or should they respond with the year they started their secondary education in general?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

On the online application form for quite a few vacation schemes (including that of Simmons & Simmons), candidates are asked to give the "Year Commenced" under the "Secondary Education [14-16]" section; do candidates give the year they started the "14-16" period of their secondary education, or should they respond with the year they started their secondary education in general?
    Is it asking you for a qualification with that entry? If so, then put the year you started that course.

If it is just asking you to list the school you attended and there is no qualification directly attached to the qualification (e.g. you put the qualification in later for another question), then put the year you started that school

Reactions: pfoapplicant
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.