TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLD

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 6, 2021
Yes me! I did the test yesterday afternoon and still no report.
I completed mine on the 6th and got an email today. I got no confirmation email after I did the test and no report. The email I got today just said I reached the benchmark and my application is now under review.
Give them a few days and don't worry too much. Someone told me they got their result 4 days after they did the test. ☺️

Reactions: LegalPersona

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Hi! I'm sorry if this has already been asked. But I was wondering if anyone has tips regarding the DLA Piper App QS? I feel like I'm struggling with 1) what they really mean with business news story? Like can it be any news that's about a business or something specific that they are looking for and 2) how to actually structure and answer this? Do we first mention which business news story, explain what happened and why we chose that one?
Hey - I think this application question seems to throw people off the most (especially as this is their only question, or it was when I applied!). I did the summer vacation scheme with the firm in 2020, and to help with this I would suggest:
1) any news about business - but something relevant. By that I mean something that you are interested in (and can show that interest) and something that is relevant to the job role that you are applying to (what is the impact of this story? how will it affect the firm? your career? the future legal market?)
2) for my answer I gave a brief synopsis of the story (aka a headline - 2 or 3 sentences). Then I explained why I was interested in the story giving 2 reasons and linking this to both my experience and the firm. My news story directly impacted the firm as it was taking place in a country where the firm was advising the government, which I included.

This is what worked for me, but I think they are much more interested in how you explain your interest in the story, and what you took from the news, rather than your ability to explain the story itself.

• 🏆
Reactions: CC03 and Lawfulx

Lawfulx

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Hey - I think this application question seems to throw people off the most (especially as this is their only question, or it was when I applied!). I did the summer vacation scheme with the firm in 2020, and to help with this I would suggest:
1) any news about business - but something relevant. By that I mean something that you are interested in (and can show that interest) and something that is relevant to the job role that you are applying to (what is the impact of this story? how will it affect the firm? your career? the future legal market?)
2) for my answer I gave a brief synopsis of the story (aka a headline - 2 or 3 sentences). Then I explained why I was interested in the story giving 2 reasons and linking this to both my experience and the firm. My news story directly impacted the firm as it was taking place in a country where the firm was advising the government, which I included.

This is what worked for me, but I think they are much more interested in how you explain your interest in the story, and what you took from the news, rather than your ability to explain the story itself.
Thank you! Really helpful

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 18, 2020
Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone knows when the exact deadline for Linklaters' Summer VS? It says 10th December on the website but does not specify if it's 00:00 or 23:59.....

Just asking because I'm in the middle of exam season atm and would really prefer to do the assessment after my exam on the 10th! Thanks!!

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Hi guys. Bit of a niche question but I feel so much more confident with a beard! Would most firms care if on a video interview I had a beard or is it a clean shaven only kind of deal?
I wouldn't worry about having a beard, in the view of diversity etc I am sure that there have been individuals with facial hair before. I would just ensure that it is tidy and groomed as opposed to the 'electrocution look' that my husband seems to favour with his beard!

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Updated today?! That could be good news!!
Well, I just would like an answer either way 🙃
What stage are you at? Have you received the WG or the email stating you’ll hear back early this week?
Sorry, forgot to specify it’s pre-WG. I got the ‘profile of interest’ email last Friday.

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Applied to CC 2024 TC and it hasn't been updated since Nov 15. I got confirmation I have passed the WGT on Sept 27 so it's been a long wait for me! Anyone else on the same boat?

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    Wait can anyone tell me about the CC application process? So if a candidate has a chance of being listed for an assessment day, it will show 'your profile is of interest' in the application portal?

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 8, 2021
    Applied to CC 2024 TC and it hasn't been updated since Nov 15. I got confirmation I have passed the WGT on Sept 27 so it's been a long wait for me! Anyone else on the same boat?

I passed the WGT on 15 Oct so in the same boat but I think I'm correct in saying the deadline is midnight tonight so they should start reviewing after then? Also does anyone know if our WGT score is taken into account along with our application when progressing us to the AC?

Reactions: xtinew

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    The only thing I've heard from Reed Smith so far is that my application is still under review and they'll be in touch closer to the app deadline, which is the 10th of December.

Thats strange! I applied 18th November, received the SJT 24th, VI invite 29th.

Still yet to receive an actual date or time for the interview though, judging by this forum neither has anyone else that passed SJT!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.