TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Has anyone contacted Bird and Bird's Grad Rec to find out when we'll hear outcomes from the WG for the Spring Vac Scheme? Over 3 weeks and counting to find out about an online test result is verging on ludicrous, especially when the email stated that we should expect to hear 'shortly afterwards'.
This is not very long to be honest. Most firms look at a Watson Glaser result holistically together with the rest of your application so it is not simply a matter of waiting 3 weeks to find out about an online test result

Reactions: OB

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    No this one was for Summer. I am not a final year student/graduate so not eligible for Spring, only Summer. They recruit on a rolling basis so it is likely that many will hear before or after others.

And yes no worries. I submitted my app in mid October, and was sent the WG in early December. The apps are reviewed before a WG is sent out. I hope that helps!
    That is weird because they were not rolling for spring.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I'm pretty new to all of this but I wondered if anyone had any advice/insight to give? I'm an undergraduate medical student but I've been considering a career in the commercial law for some time. It's the first year I've decided to submit any vac scheme applications but 'm really struggling to get past the initial application screening stage. I've received rejections from all the firms I've applied to so far all at the application/SJT stage. I haven't completed any legal work placements or insight days but lots of voluntary/medical related work experience. I'm wondering if being a medical student is putting off graduate recruiters because I haven't shown very longstanding commitment/interest in commercial law. I've been trying to develop my commercial awareness but I just wondered how recruiters look at students making such radical career changes or if there was anything people would recommend to really demonstrate a commitment or interest in this very competitive sector!
    Hey, I'm a fellow medical student and applying for the first time too!
    In terms of the application form, being a medic shouldn't hinder you at all. Draw on your experiences to showcase your skills and focus on the reasons why you are attracted to a career in commercial law.
    The only thing I would highlight is with the SJT, don't respond with your medical SJT hat. Bring up a list of each firm's values or traits they look for and respond with those in mind. In med, the answer will always be the one that promotes patient safety, even if your action might be inefficient or shows lack of initiative or lack of confidence. With the law SJTs, these other characteristics may be more important.
    @freya___ how many firms have you applied to? The fact you are a medical student should not work against you, but most candidates will be primarily facing rejections regardless of their degree - so my first piece of advice is to apply to as many firms as possible.

Within the firms you do apply to, however, I would recommend targeting firms with strong life sciences practices. I don't know if this is something you are interested in? Even if it is not, I still think that you could use this as your way in by talking about how your medical degree has inspired your interest in pharma regulation etc.

Chambers and Partners has the following firms in Band 1 for UK Life Sciences: Arnold & Porter, Bristows, Covington & Burling, Hogan Lovells, Allen & Overy and Bird & Bird. I think these could be a good starting point - I am not saying that you will definitely get interviews at these firms, because so many factors come into play and they may not currently need new life sciences lawyers. Nevertheless, I do think that trying to work out which firms might suit you is in general a good idea!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    For the white & case application form there is a question about detailing events you have attended. Does anyone know if they prefer you to list all the events or just choose a few to discuss?
    I would put all the events unless there are way too many and some are much less important than others

Reactions: futuretraineecity
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.