TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For morrison Forester it says: "If you are currently a law student, you should apply in the penultimate year of your degree. Non-law students should apply in the final year of your degree."

Does this mean as a final year law student I can't apply? The "should" is ambiguous
I would take the "should" as non-ambiguous. To me, that is pretty definite.

Reactions: AvniD and ssolicitorz

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    How should I answer 'Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?' on an application form?
    Personally, this is one of my favourite questions on an application form and luckily its one of those that you can use the same answer for multiple applications (provided you answer the question directly as obviously they differ from firm to firm). They are a really good opportunity to add any info you think helps you stand out that has not naturally followed from the questions on the rest of the application.

I usually take the opportunity to talk about my love of cooking and blogging here, depending on your word count. Do make sure you are keeping things concise and evidenced as often when you are talking about personal interests and hobbies you have the tendency to ramble (I definitely do!).

Alternatively, if you feel you have already covered everything I don't think it puts you at any disadvantage if you choose not to add anything. There is no need to repeat or add anything that isn't relevant. @Jessica Booker mentions this here .

• 🏆
    Reactions: iget277 and AvniD

SebKru10

Star Member
    Apr 15, 2021
    I have the Dentons telephone interview tomorrow, would anyone be kind enough to shed some light on it?
    A mix of competency/strength-based and motivational questions + commercial awareness (e.g. news story, recent deal). We talked for 30-35 minutes, they were super nice and the conversation went smoothly. Overall, a very positive experience! :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: GXA123

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays! For those of you who have already submitted applications, what are some of your tips for not constantly refreshing your email/worrying/stressing over nothing?

I'm trying to just focus on my next applications and wait patiently but it's proving extremely difficult 😅

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays! For those of you who have already submitted applications, what are some of your tips for not constantly refreshing your email/worrying/stressing over nothing?

I'm trying to just focus on my next applications and wait patiently but it's proving extremely difficult 😅
    I am SO guilty of this so don't worry, you're not alone. I really dont have specific advice as I'm in the same position, but I have said to myself that once I have submitted the application I am currently working on, I am going to take a break and focus on other things (ie my masters!) for a few weeks and come back to them mid-jan.
    The process is really gruelling so if you can afford to take a break then do!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and AP2000

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021

For myself, I usually remind myself that I have done my best to submit the applications and that there are a lot of things that we cannot control. So it is better to focus on other applications, so as to maximise my chances to get that one 'YES'.

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    For myself, I usually remind myself that I have done my best to submit the applications and that there are a lot of things that we cannot control. So it is better to focus on other applications, so as to maximise my chances to get that one 'YES'.
    I am SO guilty of this so don't worry, you're not alone. I really dont have specific advice as I'm in the same position, but I have said to myself that once I have submitted the application I am currently working on, I am going to take a break and focus on other things (ie my masters!) for a few weeks and come back to them mid-jan.
    The process is really gruelling so if you can afford to take a break then do!
    Thank you both! @machingkiubrian1234 that's a great approach to have- I'll try and have that mentality. @c-lear , good luck with your masters! It's really good to know I'm not alone in this :)

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    How long after sending an application does Hogan Lovells send a Watson Glaser invite? And if it's been a week since application submission, should I email the grad recruitment team?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.