TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Has anyone re-applied to Jones Day after interviewing there and being unsuccessful? Their website says:
  1. Please note: 1. It is not our policy to reassess candidates who have previously interviewed or attended a placement scheme with us and been unsuccessful in their application. 2. Whilst we do not preclude candidates from re-applying if they have not previously interviewed with us, since our criteria for selecting candidates to attend our schemes remain the same year on year, if you have been unsuccessful one year, it would be unlikely that you would be successful a following year. However, if your profile has improved considerably since your last application and you would like to reapply, you should highlight why your profile has changed in any new application and covering letter.

I interviewed in 2019 and have improved since my interview, just wondering if this would be acceptable gap or whether you're essentially black listed from every applying again?

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Hi all, I am finishing off my application for Taylor Wessing (bit last minute I know). There is one question that has really stumped me and I would be grateful for some advice:

- We strive for excellence for our clients and people. What will drive you to deliver excellent client service? (250)

Its not necessarily the content I'm struggling with, its more how to structure the response. I think its asking about what my motivations are for providing services to clients? In which case, would it be best to mention two or three key motivational points. Would I link these to my own experiences or back to the firm? both? honestly so confused 🤣

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Hi all, I have VI's and AC's and I am preparing the 'tell me about yourself' question but I am not sure how to structure it or how much detail I should include. Does anyone have any advice?

Would a simple, I am doing this degree, I achieved x grade, I am currently doing X job(s) be enough.

Reactions: CC03 and GXA123

asf49955

Dec 29, 2021
    Hi all, I am finishing off my application for Taylor Wessing (bit last minute I know). There is one question that has really stumped me and I would be grateful for some advice:

- We strive for excellence for our clients and people. What will drive you to deliver excellent client service? (250)

Its not necessarily the content I'm struggling with, its more how to structure the response. I think its asking about what my motivations are for providing services to clients? In which case, would it be best to mention two or three key motivational points. Would I link these to my own experiences or back to the firm? both? honestly so confused 🤣
    I believe it's non-rolling, although some here in the forum has received the apt-test.
    Submitted mine in mid-December but I regret for my structuring. Sincerely I should put more emphasis on my motivation particularly on serving client, what I have done and why I liked it, instead of having too much baffling info on what the firm does or is famous for.

• 🤝
    Reactions: anon123456789

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021

I really struggled with this question haha! I think it’s completely up to you, for example, if you liked serving clients in the past for a specific reason you could reference this, however you may also explain that something the firm does interests you and will inspire you to go the extra mile for clients.

I assume it is open to however you interpret it!

• 🤝
    Reactions: anon123456789

Iqra

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 2, 2020
    A mix of competency/strength-based and motivational questions + commercial awareness (e.g. news story, recent deal). We talked for 30-35 minutes, they were super nice and the conversation went smoothly. Overall, a very positive experience! :)
    Best of luck with this, hope you receive positive news soon! How many questions did they ask during that 35-minute period? I'm just trying to see how long I should spend on each answer.

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    I believe it's non-rolling, although some here in the forum has received the apt-test.
    Submitted mine in mid-December but I regret for my structuring. Sincerely I should put more emphasis on my motivation particularly on serving client, what I have done and why I liked it, instead of having too much baffling info on what the firm does or is famous for.

I really struggled with this question haha! I think it’s completely up to you, for example, if you liked serving clients in the past for a specific reason you could reference this, however you may also explain that something the firm does interests you and will inspire you to go the extra mile for clients.

I assume it is open to however you interpret it!
    Thank you both! I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled with it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Hi guys - I just have a couple of queries about the wording of questions on the Macfarlanes and Sidley Austin VS apps:

1. I presume being asked to talk about one's "extra-curricular interests" is aimed towards hobbies like enjoying computer programming in my spare time, being a member of a band, playing sport, etc - rather than extra-curricular activities which could not be easily described as interests (like being a member of a university pro bono committee)?

2. The Sidley Austin app gives candidates 250 words to talk about "what qualities make a successful lawyer" - do you reckon that candidates should link these qualities back to themselves, or back to the work that a lawyer would typically do (or would either suffice?)
    1) I’d expect it to include activities or responsibilities - basically anything you spend your extra time on

2) there is no need to connect it to your experiences. It is just asking you to show you understand the realities of the job

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! I am freaking out a bit as I have just realised that in one of my applications I used "practises" to refer to practices/practice areas. I am not a native English speaker, so I tend to be quite anxious about making any spelling or grammar mistakes and always double-check. I don't know how this happened... Is this a mistake that natives notice straightaway, or do I have any chance of having my application progressed to the next round?
    A native speaker in a law firm will notice the mistake - but it isn’t necessarily an absolute reason why an application would be unsuccessful.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.