TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
It’s not that if you know the firm’s name, it’s more whether you are naming an individual by their name - eg Miss Jessica Booker. Then it’s “yours sincerely” if it is Dear Graduate Recruitment or Dear Sir/Madam, then it’s “yours faithfully”.
Thank you! @Jessica Booker What If I was addressing it to a law firm though so for example Dear Clyde&Co, ?

scruffy1

Nov 12, 2021
well.... not sure that telephone interview with Skadden could have gone any worse if I'd been planning on bombing it
long pauses, topics I clearly knew nothing about, and then not thinking out loud at all - urgh!! and just zero response or indication from the interviewer either way, I would have been laughing if I were him 🤣
Sorry to hear that! Was it the structure that threw you off?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ashurst TC offer post Winter VS ! So happy
Amazing news - congratulations!

Rebel Wilson Party GIF by How to be Single

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Has anyone got any ideas for sectors firms should expand to, I am thinking specifically to hSF (who appear to have everything already), but any general ideas would be appreciated! :)

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Starting to think this “rolling/non-rolling” stuff doesn’t actually matter…
    It really depends on the firm what non-rolling means so you would have to double check with grad rec. Some firms who are 'non-rolling' still screen on a rolling basis, meaning you will get moved through the process before the deadline i.e. sent psychometric testing and be invited to VI but will not offer any ACs until after the deadline. Some interpret non-rolling strictly and won't even look at your application until after the deadline has passed.

Saying that, you can apply on the final day of a rolling deadline and still make it to AC so it all really just rests on the quality of your application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone got any ideas for sectors firms should expand to, I am thinking specifically to hSF (who appear to have everything already), but any general ideas would be appreciated! :)
    It doesn't necessarily have to be something completely new.

Rather than thinking of the whole sector, are there any market trends or developments that might mean one area within it has opportunities to expand? For instance, Real Estate as a whole might not be expanding, but opportunities for certain types of real estate (warehouses/data centres) might. Having specific knowledge/experience of a sub-sector can often really help attract new clients.

Also consider whether new markets are opening up due to trade regulations/restrictions changing. If the UK has agreed new trade deals off the back of Brexit or has changed something to get more investment into the country, could that lead to more business being done in the UK? If so, is that an opportunity to expand a practice that already exists where more opportunities could present themselves? Might you decide to hire more dual-qualified lawyers or partner with lawyers in other countries to help build that expertise?

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Hey guys,

I submitted an application to Freshfields, but I made a mistake and I do not know to what extent that mistake will play a role in the outcome of my application.

In a work experience entry, my first sentence was I rotated across the immigration and property departments. I talked so much about my work in the property department, but did not talk about my work in the immigration department. This was my final work experience entry in the form.

How will graduate recruitment consider this mistake.

Thanks,
    Rijul

Last edited:

Lawyered22

Oct 19, 2020
    It really depends on the firm what non-rolling means so you would have to double check with grad rec. Some firms who are 'non-rolling' still screen on a rolling basis, meaning you will get moved through the process before the deadline i.e. sent psychometric testing and be invited to VI but will not offer any ACs until after the deadline. Some interpret non-rolling strictly and won't even look at your application until after the deadline has passed.

Saying that, you can apply on the final day of a rolling deadline and still make it to AC so it all really just rests on the quality of your application.
    Yeah exactly… it doesn’t really matter

• ℹ️
    Reactions: anon123456789
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.