TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hey, does anyone know how a firm's strength in mid-market M&A bears in actual practice? What is the main difference between mid-market and high-end M&A? Any help would be v appreciated!!
    Hey, so I asked this question to a partner at a vac scheme last year and got a response along these lines: not too many differences in terms of process aside from the value of the deal (there are specific boundaries that can be found by googling).

More subtly, in terms of the actual work, the partner found mid-market deals to be more varied and the higher-end ones to follow more of a predictable process. So he was able to be more 'creative' in the mid-market whereas high-end work tended to much more process-driven in his experience.

With high-end deals, he also commented that it was often a case of just getting the deal done with little disruption along the way as those clients tend to know what they're doing, whereas this may not always be the case with the mid-market.

I would caveat this by saying that the partner was speaking from his own experience, so may not always be true.

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    I have an AC on Thursday and I'm super nervous about the commercial awareness side of the whole thing, mainly because it was the reason I failed on an AC last year. Obviously I can't become 100% commercially aware within 4 days but does anyone have any advice about things I can do to try and improve over the next few days? Particularly any resources for current affairs etc that break things down more simply

avaelle42

Star Member
    Dec 15, 2021
    I have an AC on Thursday and I'm super nervous about the commercial awareness side of the whole thing, mainly because it was the reason I failed on an AC last year. Obviously I can't become 100% commercially aware within 4 days but does anyone have any advice about things I can do to try and improve over the next few days? Particularly any resources for current affairs etc that break things down more simply
    i find littlelaw rly helpful and if u can get ur hands on Christopher stoakes book and have a read its also super helpful - im going through it now, good luck !

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    I am not sure if you know these but for more general commercial awareness I really like the corporate conduit - https://corporate-conduit.com/
    Also, the things I like using are Watson's daily - I think I watson's yearly is coming out. Also, comaware https://comaware.net/ It provides short concise weekly summaries.

More specifically - to gain more legal awareness just see what law firms are writing about in their thought leadership. These are the things that I do and find helpful - but I haven't been tested yet ( i have my first AC's this week) so take my recommendations with a massive pinch of salt !

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    i find littlelaw rly helpful and if u can get ur hands on Christopher stoakes book and have a read its also super helpful - im going through it now, good luck !
    I am not sure if you know these but for more general commercial awareness I really like the corporate conduit - https://corporate-conduit.com/
    Also, the things I like using are Watson's daily - I think I watson's yearly is coming out. Also, comaware https://comaware.net/ It provides short concise weekly summaries.

More specifically - to gain more legal awareness just see what law firms are writing about in their thought leadership. These are the things that I do and find helpful - but I haven't been tested yet ( i have my first AC's this week) so take my recommendations with a massive pinch of salt !
    Thank you both so much, I'll have a look at those resources asap!

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020
    I would break it down into general awareness of affairs, news, what's going on. But also your understanding of business, how they make money, what they're concerned about. Too many people think if they digest the FT they're 'commercially aware' but it's going a bit deeper

Last edited:

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    I would break it down into general awareness of affairs, news, what's going on. But also your understanding of business, how they make money, what they're concerned about. Too many people if they digest the FT they're 'commercially aware' but it's going a bit deeper
    Thank you for the advice! Think sometimes it can all be a bit overwhelming

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What do you guys think about legal & compliance roles in finance firms? Would you say it is easy to go from such a role and into a training contract?
    I don’t think it makes it easy, but I think it gives you a range of transferable skills and knowledge to leverage in the recruitment process.

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    Corporate Conduit is pretty good for sure! They also have this function where you can study and learn the basics of M&A through flashcards which I've found super helpful for technical terms

• Love
    Reactions: AvniD and rose0904

Amanpreet Kaur

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hey, so I asked this question to a partner at a vac scheme last year and got a response along these lines: not too many differences in terms of process aside from the value of the deal (there are specific boundaries that can be found by googling).

More subtly, in terms of the actual work, the partner found mid-market deals to be more varied and the higher-end ones to follow more of a predictable process. So he was able to be more 'creative' in the mid-market whereas high-end work tended to much more process-driven in his experience.

With high-end deals, he also commented that it was often a case of just getting the deal done with little disruption along the way as those clients tend to know what they're doing, whereas this may not always be the case with the mid-market.

I would caveat this by saying that the partner was speaking from his own experience, so may not always be true.

Thank you so much!! I really trawled google and couldn't find anything, this is extremely helpful

• 🤝
    Reactions: Kubed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What are good questions to ask trainees at a trainee meet and greet in an assessment centre?

Focus on what you want to learn more about the firm that cannot be found out from their website/brochure but that trainees can answer - this is typically more around their personal experiences as a trainee, but also their opinions of the firm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.