TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone could offer some tips on scenario based interviews? I have researched some sample questions and I am trying to get my head around them, but I'm not sure what answers are considered "good" and what structure should be followed?
    Sorry if my question doesn't make sense - it's my first AC I'm lowkey freaking out😥

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Just double checking, is NRF's summer vac scheme only available to penultimate year students? Not third years/graduates?
    Yep, that's right.

It's okay, though! You can still apply for their direct training contract (applications will start being accepted in May). Also, they seem to take a fair share of applicants through this route :)

Reactions: T202 and Rob93

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone could offer some tips on scenario based interviews? I have researched some sample questions and I am trying to get my head around them, but I'm not sure what answers are considered "good" and what structure should be followed?
    Sorry if my question doesn't make sense - it's my first AC I'm lowkey freaking out😥
    A good answer should have a structure that describes the scenario ➡️ walks the interviewer through your options ➡️ details the reasoning behind your choice ➡️ explains the impact of your decision-making.

It's normal to freak out before your first AC- it's a new process for you and there's a lot riding on it so that adds even more pressure. My best advice would be to try and take it one step, one task at a time so you don't build the AC up to be bigger than it is.

Try also to prepare minimally on the day of and do something you enjoy beforehand (a hobby, watching a movie, eating your favourite food etc) to set a positive tone for your AC.

Wishing you the very best! Do let us know how you get on- you've got this! 💪

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    A good answer should have a structure that describes the scenario ➡️ walks the interviewer through your options ➡️ details the reasoning behind your choice ➡️ explains the impact of your decision-making.

It's normal to freak out before your first AC- it's a new process for you and there's a lot riding on it so that adds even more pressure. My best advice would be to try and take it one step, one task at a time so you don't build the AC up to be bigger than it is.

Try also to prepare minimally on the day of and do something you enjoy beforehand (a hobby, watching a movie, eating your favourite food etc) to set a positive tone for your AC.

Wishing you the very best! Do let us know how you get on- you've got this! 💪
    Thank you so much - this is incredibly insightful and helpful!🥰

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Csm1

Standard Member
    Jul 19, 2021
    Hi! - Just wanted to let you know that you also need to complete the verbal reasoning test before 23:59 on 15 Jan 2022, after submitting your application for it to be considered

They send it to you automatically after application submission 🙂
    I have done it and it says test completed on the portal but I didn't get a confirmation email. Is this normal?

Reactions: djqb

JM1998

Esteemed Member
    Mar 26, 2021
    What are good questions to ask trainees at a trainee meet and greet in an assessment centre?
    I’d agree with what Jessica said, and from my experience they don’t tend to be assessed. So just think of some questions you really want to know the answer to that will help you decide whether this is ultimately a firm you’d want to build a career at.

I wouldn’t overthink it and try to ask anything technical to try and impress, just use it as an opportunity to find out things that you couldn’t otherwise. I’ve found that trainees tend to be very open and honest about their experiences too so it’s a great opportunity!

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    White and Case is one that I’m more confused about… They say they hire on a rolling basis so unless literally no one from this entire forum has applied I’m rather confused as to how no one has heard anything from them.
    I can safely say Grad Rec are v. busy collating feedback/preparing to make TC offers for those who did the WVS - such as myself. Word is those on the WVS will hear back mid week. I guess Grad Rec will focus on Spring/Summer VS applications after that!

captainhilts

Star Member
    Aug 22, 2021
    I don't think that's really quantifiable in a useful way. Average apps is probably like 10-20 per cycle, but I've done as few as 3 in my first cycle and have seen people do like 40 (built different). I know someone who did I think 3 - to the Magic Triangle PE firms - got 1 interview and nabbed the TC. That's probably an outlier but there's something to be said for intensity of focus.

Conversion from app to AC alone is variable but anecdotally I'd say that like 2 progressions per 10 apps is a pretty impressive conversion rate - Jessica or other TCLA staff might have a more nuanced view on this. 1 or nil per 10 is, unfortunately (not least for me) quite common, but there will also be candidates with golden profiles and a winning application strategy that have much higher conversion rates so it's v hard to generalise
    who are the magic triangle PE firms??

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.