TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civ457

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2022
if a firm's application deadline is non-rolling, do they read the applications in the order that they were submitted in? or does it really not make any difference if you submit now as opposed to the deadline?

RB2022

Valued Member
Sep 28, 2022
The status of my application for DLA Piper (Summer Internship) now says 'Updated - 17 Nov' but I haven't received any email from them. The withdraw and view/edit buttons are still there. What should I expect? Will they contact me once the deadline has passed or perhaps before then? They are also rolling and I applied on the 19th of September, with my WG completed on the 23rd.

Jake Mustard

Nov 10, 2022
Has anyone heard from Covington post-interview? Someone from my group assessment has gotten a place on the scheme but I still haven't heard anything either way. Is it common for them to just not contact people who don't make it?

WAL007

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 19, 2022
The status of my application for DLA Piper (Summer Internship) now says 'Updated - 17 Nov' but I haven't received any email from them. The withdraw and view/edit buttons are still there. What should I expect? Will they contact me once the deadline has passed or perhaps before then? They are also rolling and I applied on the 19th of September, with my WG completed on the 23rd.
Same. I think they have begun reviewing apps

DTB

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice for A&O and Mayer Brown’s tests? I have applications ready to send for both firms, but I don’t want to send these until I’ve done a bit of preparation for the respective tests (as I think they’re both automatically sent). Thanks
    Hi! Did you manage to take the tests? I am on the same boat!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    if a firm's application deadline is non-rolling, do they read the applications in the order that they were submitted in? or does it really not make any difference if you submit now as opposed to the deadline?
    They could do but there could be a whole host of ways they could review the applications, some of which could be very random.

Reactions: Civ457

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi everyone,

With an application form like Gibson Dunn's, where candidates are expected to write a cover letter in a text box (rather than. say, attaching it as a Word or PDF file), would it be right to assume that it would be unnecessary to include either:

1. A sentence at the start of the cover letter (between "Dear Graduate Recruitment" and the first substantive paragraph) introducing myself, and mentioning what stage of my studies I am at
    2. A sentence towards the end of the cover letter (between the final substantive paragraph and "Yours faithfully") saying something like "Thank you for taking the time to read my application. I look forward to hearing from you".

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

With an application form like Gibson Dunn's, where candidates are expected to write a cover letter in a text box (rather than. say, attaching it as a Word or PDF file), would it be right to assume that it would be unnecessary to include either:

1. A sentence at the start of the cover letter (between "Dear Graduate Recruitment" and the first substantive paragraph) introducing myself, and mentioning what stage of my studies I am at
    2. A sentence towards the end of the cover letter (between the final substantive paragraph and "Yours faithfully") saying something like "Thank you for taking the time to read my application. I look forward to hearing from you".

@Jessica Booker
    I don’t think it is necessary to do this, but many people include such details.

Reactions: AvniD

avaelle42

Star Member
    Dec 15, 2021
    does anyone have experience with having two clashing winter vac scheme offers and asking one firm if you can be moved to a summer scheme? not sure if this is something i should ask for or if this would even be a possibility. sorry if question has been asked before!

NbyN

Standard Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    does anyone have experience with having two clashing winter vac scheme offers and asking one firm if you can be moved to a summer scheme? not sure if this is something i should ask for or if this would even be a possibility. sorry if question has been asked before!
    I have the same this winter and I managed to have one of the firms move it to summer- give grad rec a call, it can’t hurt to ask!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It happens a lot. The firms will be used to having these type of questions.

Be also prepared to ask for a direct TC process instead.

Or for the firm to decline either option and to say you have to accept/decline the offer.

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hi all!

does anyone have advice on Kirkland's VI? I spent a really long time on the app and dont want to fail on VI! Im worried about being thrown off. How does one prepare for VI's when they can ask anything?

KBLAW

Star Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Hi all!

does anyone have advice on Kirkland's VI? I spent a really long time on the app and dont want to fail on VI! Im worried about being thrown off. How does one prepare for VI's when they can ask anything?
    I completed it last year. They asked two questions which were Why Kirkland? and What skills do you need to be a good commercial lawyer? You had 15 seconds to prepare for each and 90 seconds to answer. Hope this helps!

• Love
    Reactions: DTB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.