Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker if we mention a deal in our applications, how recent should it be and does it matter if it's a deal that the London office did or any of the firm's offices?
The deal needs to be connected back to your interests/motivations. Therefore even if it wasn’t something the London office had done, it really needs explaining why this is relevant to your career in London with the firm.

Age of deal becomes less of an issue - I think anything in the last three years or so is fair, but it does depend on what the deal is. Some are once in a decade matters, while others will easily be superseded by more recent matters. I think it comes down to why you are referencing that deal over the other 100s you could use.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How long does HSF take to send our feedback report & an email on whether we met their benchmark after doing their online blended assessment? It's been nearly a day and I got nothing
It’s the weekend and a bank holiday. I wouldn’t expect anything until at least the next working day (tomorrow, or possibly even Wednesday).

Reactions: thinspaceship
C

Caroline1999

For Clyde and Co it states you can only apply ‘once per recruitment cycle’. I applied for a Summer vacation scheme back in January this year.

Am I still eligible to apply for a winter vacation scheme? Would that be a new recruitment cycle

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For Clyde and Co it states you can only apply ‘once per recruitment cycle’. I applied for a Summer vacation scheme back in January this year.

Am I still eligible to apply for a winter vacation scheme? Would that be a new recruitment cycle
As it’s typically for a new intake (and they typically work on an academic calendar year) I think this would be fine.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I am in the process of applying to a speed networking event and the question is "why should we choose you to attend this event?
Can I mention that I am interested in these firms and intend to apply? So, the event would offer me the opportunity to network with the firm's representatives, understand the trainee's role and overall draft a winning application. Should I also mention that my research shows that I am a good candidate for these firms?

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
I have some questions regarding academic grades (university) and applying to law firms with strict academic requirements:

Firstly, how should one define a high 2.1 quantitively speaking? I would be inclined to think 67-69.9%. If I do not fall into this category, should I even bother applying to law firms like Sidley Austin? I read that on Chambers Student that "Aspiring recruits need a high 2:1 degree with consistently good grades throughout".

@Jessica Booker @AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have some questions regarding academic grades (university) and applying to law firms with strict academic requirements:

Firstly, how should one define a high 2.1 quantitively speaking? I would be inclined to think 67-69.9%. If I do not fall into this category, should I even bother applying to law firms like Sidley Austin? I read that on Chambers Student that "Aspiring recruits need a high 2:1 degree with consistently good grades throughout".

@Jessica Booker @AvniD
To me this is anything over 65%. Probably worthwhile asking the firm directly though if you have a chance to attend a careers fair they are attending or you could ask via email.

Reactions: Dwight

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

@Jessica Booker @AvniD
I've always viewed a high 2:1 as being above 66% but this is probably best confirmed with the firm.

Reactions: Dwight

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I am in the process of applying to a speed networking event and the question is "why should we choose you to attend this event?
Can I mention that I am interested in these firms and intend to apply? So, the event would offer me the opportunity to network with the firm's representatives, understand the trainee's role and overall draft a winning application. Should I also mention that my research shows that I am a good candidate for these firms?
Hi @S87! You could mention all these things but it may be presumptive to say that your research shows that you're a good candidate for the firm and it may also be unnecessary to state for an application for a speed networking event, where the goal is to find out more about the firm and explore if it's a good fit for you and vice versa.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
@Jessica Booker @AvniD just wondered if either of you could advise?
How long has it been since you last applied and submitted your cover letter? If something like 6 months has passed then I would strongly advise you to look at parts of your cover letter that specifically dealt with your motivations for a career in law at the firm and see if there is scope to build on them. I'd also give the section on 'why you', if there is one, another good read to see if you can rephrase or redraft something. You could ask grad rec if your cover letter was considered by sending them the wording of the rejection email, but in the event that you don't have this confirmation, I'd suggest considering the above actions.

Last edited:

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Does anyone here know how the application process for Hogan Lovells works? I'm slightly confused as to which programme(s) I should be applying for.

I initially only considered applying for their London vac scheme but I'm also seeing that if you successfully gain a place on HL Lift-off, you automatically secure a place for a vac scheme assessment day? The application window/deadline for both the winter vac scheme and HL Learning Hub Lift-Off are about the same.

So should I apply for both HL Learning Hub AND a vac scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @AvniD just wondered if either of you could advise?
I think any application can always be refined from previous years based on the things you have subsequently done, the things you have learned since and even by critically evaluating your written style. The general themes might be similar but how it is presented could always be updated and refined.

rose888

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 19, 2021
hi, does anyone know how you can best demonstrate your research/motivations for applying to a firm if you have not been to any of their events/presentations before?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hi, does anyone know how you can best demonstrate your research/motivations for applying to a firm if you have not been to any of their events/presentations before?
Know their website inside out and have a good grip on their recent deals and firm news. Try to find a link somehow- maybe an article written by their Chairman/London Managing Partner, a YouTube video of a talk/conference the firm spearheaded or attended that resonated with you. And in the meantime, look out for any webinars or virtual events they may be doing that you could attend before submitting your app!

Reactions: rose888
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.