TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

starman

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    has anyone heard anything from the a&o WS recently??
    No, actually I passed their SJT around 5/09, and I haven't heard anything ever since. I think they're waiting for more applications to make AC-invitation decisions. Some people have posted PFOs above though.

Reactions: Netta

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi guys, any tips or resources for smashing the WG? (I have typically struggled w this application component) I have three days until the LL Watson Glaser test link expires. If I have to purchase some practice tests, I would also appreciate a recommendation of the best websites/company.
    Linking my best tips here! All the best 😊

Reactions: time2work

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi guys - when the application form asks candidates to copy and paste their covering letters, is this an indicator that they want candidates to include their (and the law firm's) address in the textbox? NB: When I copied and pasted my own letter, the formatting of the address was completely messed up on the CVMail form, with each line of the address being on the same line.

Also, does it matter what order candidates use to write their "why law", "why this firm", "why me" paragraphs on their cover letter?

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys - when the application form asks candidates to copy and paste their covering letters, is this an indicator that they want candidates to include their (and the law firm's) address in the textbox? NB: When I copied and pasted my own letter, the formatting of the address was completely messed up on the CVMail form, with each line of the address being on the same line.

Also, does it matter what order candidates use to write their "why law", "why this firm", "why me" paragraphs on their cover letter?

@Jessica Booker
    I don’t think you need to copy in addresses etc. just have an appropriate start (eg Dear Joe Bloggs) and an appropriate sign off.

It doesn’t matter which order those subjects are dealt with in a cover letter.

Reactions: pfoapplicant

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Wasn't sure where to put this question, but: do London lawyers of US law firms get paid in $? I am simply wanting to analyse how the weakening pound will affect this. If it is $, then surely that means they are paid more for doing the same work.

Last edited:

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Wasn't sure where to put this question, but: do London lawyers of US law firms get paid in $? I am simply wanting to analyse how the weakening pound will affect this. If it is $, then surely that means they are paid more for doing the same work.
    Depends on the firm and the pay structure. Those that do fix at an exchange rate for a period of time that is then reviewed every 3/6 months. But it is why a few US firms have seen an increase in salaries. Especially those that pay cravath scale in london - but again not all do.

Reactions: Dwight

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Depends on the firm and the pay structure. Those that do fix at an exchange rate for a period of time that is then reviewed every 3/6 months. But it is why a few US firms have seen an increase in salaries. Especially those that pay cravath scale in london - but again not all do.
    So some US law firms pay salaries using $ but at a fixed rate, which is reviewed every now and then.

Other US law firms use the carvath scale - isn't this $ pay depending on the year of graduation, so seniority basically? Salaries, however, do become discretionary based on performance and thus the use of bonuses?

And other US law firms pay salaries using £.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As a graduate, is it better to apply to finalists & graduates only vacation schemes if those are available, or does it not matter? Anything to take into account? Thanks.
    It really doesn’t matter - I’d apply to whatever programme works best for you for your timescales and other commitments.

Reactions: LLM2022

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    So some US law firms pay salaries using $ but at a fixed rate, which is reviewed every now and then.

Other US law firms use the carvath scale - isn't this $ pay depending on the year of graduation, so seniority basically? Salaries, however, do become discretionary based on performance and thus the use of bonuses?

And other US law firms pay salaries using £.
    Not quite. Everyone will be paid in £ but this this will be converted from the $. So in a cravath paying firm in london example an NQ will be paid $215k but this will be converted to £ in some way, often the reviewed rate it’s rarely freely attached to the market exchange rate - anyone that has that structure is doing well right now!

Salaries based on seniority aren’t unique to US firms, most law firms will see salaries increase with each year of experience. And then again maybe a little more flexibility with bands based on performance or bonus.

Other firms will have an entirely different salary structure for UK offices than the US.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Dwight

refy

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    Is it too late to apply for the Links winter vac scheme given that it's rolling? Or should I withdraw and apply to the summer one instead?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.