TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Word, tbh I sometimes wonder if it would even make much difference to the quality of some firms final intake if they randomly binned 50% of applications at first instance . Lots seem to have an absurd number of 1st class grads from top unis with lots of extra curricular
    Every single person I know in my Uni (top Russel Group) that got a TC offer from Slaughter and A&O all had 1st class degrees (many non-law). Literally none got less than that from the ones I know. I'm not even bothering to apply with my high 2:1. Not worth the waste of time to get rejected

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    I’m feeling the same - received offers to multiple events including in-person events, networked A LOT with people from my uni who are now training there, and had associates there tell me that I seem like the perfect candidate. I also think it was my best written application so far, yet I’ve received next stage invites from firms who seem equally as competitive, but for whom I was only 99% happy with my application before sending. Honestly quite upset and a bit confused. Just trying to move on by focusing on the other opportunities that I have been given. Really best of luck with your other applications :)
    you too, it's really stressful and time-consuming :( on top of uni/work it's honestly borderline inhumane how much we are expected to give for a sliver of a chance at even being considered.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Every single person I know in my Uni (top Russel Group) that got a TC offer from Slaughter and A&O all had 1st class degrees (many non-law). Literally none got less than that from the ones I know. I'm not even bothering to apply with my high 2:1. Not worth the waste of time to get rejected
    Yep insane competition. I know of a couple people who got MC TCS with 2:1 but I’d say the vast majority (at least that I know) got a first or are on SOLID track to get one.

Reactions: yasmars

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    yeah I know, it's just always frustrating when you spend hours on something (and even travel for it) but oh well

1100 applications for 14 places is bound to be a trainwreck for most lol
    I would echo this. They are probably only interviewing less than 50 people too, so around 1 in 20-25 people will get an interview.

That is probably less than the people that have attended their open days/careers events etc.

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    For A&O, a high 2:1 or 1st is not the determining factor. I only had a mid 2:1 and still managed to get an AC at A&O on the strength of my application answers and relevant extracurriculars (legal tech related). Don't rule yourself out so quickly!

WindowsUpdate

• Sep 28, 2022
    Genuinely curious - how does Skadden decide if you 'score' high enough? I was extended offers to both their Open Day and Insight Evening and I referred to both in my application (and used the tips from them to apply). How do I make it to both of those but don't even get a TI for the Vac Scheme - what even is the point in extending me offers for the events then?

Spent so long on the application fml (inclusive of attending both events and traveling to London to attend in person)
    I often wonder the same, I didn't get into the 1st insight evening and the reason was the same: "didn't score high enough", but the application was basic with just a short cover letter (and maybe undergrad academics, can't remember). Do they just give a subjective rating out of a 100 or something.
    Even more confusing since I was invited to the 2nd evening after 🤷‍♂️ IF everything is objectively good with an application, I think some of it legit comes down to who reads it and in what mood they are in

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Yep insane competition. I know of a couple people who got MC TCS with 2:1 but I’d say the vast majority (at least that I know) got a first or are on SOLID track to get one.
    Freshfields seems to be open to anyone that satisfies the 2.1 requirement. But I'm literally certain about Slaughter at this point - nobody I know that got a TC offer has below a First class honours degree from my uni (and a lot of people got offers this and last year)

Reactions: yasmars

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 28, 2021
    @FutureLawyer99 I'd email graduate recruitment for some clarification on what they mean by research-based case study and if they could elaborate a bit on it but if you don't get the information you're looking for, I'd try to not obsess over the term/structure they've used and instead focus on what they're looking to test you on.

Generally, the point of a case study is to 1) see if you're able to process information swiftly 2) present your findings in a structured and logical manner and 3) justify your reasoning behind the solutions you suggest and/or your ability to decide when to pivot to another solution if you're presented with new information/challenged.

These points are best mastered through practice so try a few scenarios or use do a mock interview here at TCLA or if you're at uni, with your careers counsellor, or with whomever you trust and I think you should be just fine. Wishing you the best!
    Thank you so much for this information. I’ve booked a mock interview with TCLA and my careers counsellor. So, hopefully that might stand me in good stead for the assessment centre. Thank you so much!

@AvniD I’ve decided to take on board your suggestion of emailing the graduate recruitment team. I have attached the content of the email at the bottom. Could you please tell me whether this is the appropriate wording?

'As part of the assessment centre invite email, it stated that one of the tasks would be an ‘individual research-based case study task’. Is it possible to please gain further elaboration on what this task means and, more broadly, what this task would entail?’

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I don’t think this is necessarily reflective of all trainees - it may just but a reflection of the people you know.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    you too, it's really stressful and time-consuming :( on top of uni/work it's honestly borderline inhumane how much we are expected to give for a sliver of a chance at even being considered.
    tbh I’m not sure what I’d prefer I agree the app process is some major BS however if competition is willing to put in the time then u can’t rlly complain. I prefer this to the selection process being who’s father works at the firm and the app questions prevent it from just being based wholly on ur grace so

Reactions: spamelinazoid

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Freshfields seems to be open to anyone that satisfies the 2.1 requirement. But I'm literally certain about Slaughter at this point - nobody I know that got a TC offer has below a First class honours degree from my uni (and a lot of people got offers this and last year)
    I know people without firsts who have got into Slaughters (and even recently).

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    I often wonder the same, I didn't get into the 1st insight evening and the reason was the same: "didn't score high enough", but the application was basic with just a short cover letter (and maybe undergrad academics, can't remember). Do they just give a subjective rating out of a 100 or something.
    Even more confusing since I was invited to the 2nd evening after 🤷‍♂️ IF everything is objectively good with an application, I think some of it legit comes down to who reads it and in what mood they are in
    yep...

which is why not even making it to TI is confusuing. TI is basically just an extension of the application. How does one satisfy their requirements to attend 2 events with them (which they even reimbursed me for, so they literally wasted money on me), but somehow that doesnt transalte into at least a TI invite?

alas, one must go on. fml

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    That is interesting! I was invited to the 1st insight evening but had to do so upon badgering (ahem reminding) grad rec about my application. I genuinely thought everyone who applied was extended an invitation. But maybe that is me being a bit naive haha 😆

Arch1234

Jan 5, 2023
    This isn't quite true - I have quite a few Linkedin connections at S&M who have 2.1 degrees, and I'm currently on track for a 2.1 and have an interview for a TC there. In any case, if they offer a TC to a 2nd year following a Vac scheme, they wouldn't even have their degree results yet. I think we should all be cautious of speculating these kind of things - It could deter someone from applying who has a real shot.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    That is interesting! I was invited to the 1st insight evening but had to do so upon badgering (ahem reminding) grad rec about my application. I genuinely thought everyone who applied was extended an invitation. But maybe that is me being a bit naive haha 😆
    the events were around 45-50 people, so quite limited and selective - the open day was around 100 from memory so maybe that was more 'everyone who applies gets in'

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretrainee202X
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.