TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Okay, this isn't the nicest way to see it obviously. BUT, this commenter is not wrong. Just because you did an open day/ insight scheme with a firm does not mean that you should automatically be granted a vacation scheme. That would literally be legal nepotism lol. You have people who do full vacation schemes and are still rejected from a TC.

You are not owed anything just because you did an application and travelled to London. There are international students who travel CONTINENTS and do the SAME schemes so your point is redundant.

If you truly want to get in just because you did a scheme in the past, apply to CC. They let people who did forage internships have a 3x higher chance of getting in compared to everyone else.

My point is: what the commenter said was kinda rude but, you're not owed anything just because you've done a long application process or open day.
    not true about CC. they got those stats by looking at application data retrospectively to realise that people who did their forage internships tend to be more successful. lots of confounding factors there so not necessarily a direct causal relationship. people who have done CC’s forage also likely invested more time researching CC and creating a better, more tailored application overall.

This would probably also apply to all firms. more earlier engagement with a particular firm will likely increase your chances of securing a TC at the firm but doesn’t guarantee that you will.

sdsou

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 31, 2021
    A question for anyone with overseas legal work experience: some application forms asks whether work experience is SQE Qualifying Work Experience. I do not have a certificate stating so, although I could possibly get one from that employer if required later. However, by nature of the work done, it would count as QWE. Should I check 'yes' or 'no' when the form asks whether the work is QWE?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    A question for anyone with overseas legal work experience: some application forms asks whether work experience is SQE Qualifying Work Experience. I do not have a certificate stating so, although I could possibly get one from that employer if required later. However, by nature of the work done, it would count as QWE. Should I check 'yes' or 'no' when the form asks whether the work is QWE?

Thank you!
    If the work experience hasn’t been signed off as qualifying work experience or you haven’t checked with the previous employer that they will sign it off or not (whether in the U.K. or not), I would put no.

divaination

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    just some insight into CC - they don't have vac schemes anymore but they have virtual forage internships. those aren't factored into the offer decision but they help you gain sector specific knowledge which is just as valuable tbh.

what you *can* do is attend flagship events that need to be applied to like ACCEPT or INTERFACE. i was probably the only one to attend both and during the events they say they prioritise at least a little bit more the applications that have said they attended such events cuz CC 'invested' in those people. but the strange thing is that a lot of the people I met at those events are not their target demographic (non penultimate year law students and graduates sometimes) - so it's a good way for people from the non target demographic to demonstrate their interest and commitment in CC.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If you get 2 minutes to answer a VI question and if your answer is 1 minute and 30 seconds is that seem as bad and will that affect how your VI answer is marked by graduate recruitment.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    If you get 2 minutes to answer a VI question and if your answer is 1 minute and 30 seconds is that seem as bad and will that affect how your VI answer is marked by graduate recruitment.
    is this for clyde & co? Im not gonna lie, for a couple of those questions I think it would have been unnatural to speak for 2 mins because there simply was not enough to say. For one I spoke for 1 min, another 1 min 30 and the rest 2 mins. I do not see it as a problem because I got my point across.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    No good on you. But yesterday, I received feedback and learnt that for every answer there must be some sort of ending. When we answer competency-based questions we usually end by saying "as result", from my understanding, there should be an ending even when we answer general questions. I hope your VI goes well, I know how hard you work!

D

Deleted member 24543

doubt so!!! if anything they're looking for succinct answers so if you managed to sum it all up in 1.5 minutes that's impressive imo! i for one have a habit of rambling so...

D

Deleted member 24543

No good on you. But yesterday, I received feedback and learnt that for every answer there must be some sort of ending. When we answer competency-based questions we usually end by saying "as result", from my understanding, there should be an ending even when we answer general questions. I hope your VI goes well, I know how hard you work!
    So a short conclusion for each question to tie it all in?

Reactions: S87 and Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    is this for clyde & co? Im not gonna lie, for a couple of those questions I think it would have been unnatural to speak for 2 mins because there simply was not enough to say. For one I spoke for 1 min, another 1 min 30 and the rest 2 mins. I do not see it as a problem because I got my point across.
    Thank you for this and yes it is for Clyde and Co.
    Thank you for this. This is actually a good point thank you very much for this.
    doubt so!!! if anything they're looking for succinct answers so if you managed to sum it all up in 1.5 minutes that's impressive imo! i for one have a habit of rambling so...
    Thank you for this and I agree but was just worried that if it is a short answer they might deduct point for not using all the time.
    Thank you very much for this it is really assuring nd have been practising and my answers have been 1.5 minutes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.