TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanthaBracey

TLT Graduate Recruitment
  • Sep 14, 2022
    Yeah to me it’s just bad news. I’ve stuck it out with a few firms I’m really interested in but they can’t even bother to see me personally? Why would I want to work for that firm? I don’t think it’s at all indicative of what the person is like. I’ve done loads of public speaking, debating and other things so don’t consider myself awkward or bad verbally but I find it so hard to look at the camera whilst talking to no one and seem normal, it’s very unnatural to not pick up on social queues from someone else or have gaps in your speech where somebody interjects or asks a follow up question.

another thing is that it’s so easy for people to game the process by asking a friend what the questions were so it’s even more unfair.

A much fairer assessment of a candidate in my opinion are their grades, extra curriculars, achievements and psychometric tests results. An interview with a real person is much more indicative of how a candidate will interact with a client.

It just seems like a cop out from a lot of firms tbh so trying to avoid VI firms.

edit: what you said about seeing this a lot is so true. I know it’s only anecdotal but some of the smartest students I know with the best grades are also avoiding VI firms. So whatever arguments there are about “finding talent from a wider pool” there seems to be an argument with at least some merit that some of the best candidates are no longer targeting those firms.
    Hi!

Just to confirm that we don't have a video interview anymore! We stopped this as part of our assessment process back in 2019-2020. Please do feel free to apply to our direct Training Contract applications if you are interested in TLT!

As a side note - please can I check where you've seen that we still include a VI and I will make sure to get this updated.
    Thanks!

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Hi!

Just to confirm that we don't have a video interview anymore! We stopped this as part of our assessment process back in 2019-2020. Please do feel free to apply to our direct Training Contract applications if you are interested in TLT!

As a side note - please can I check where you've seen that we still include a VI and I will make sure to get this updated.
    Thanks!
    Really sorry - i deleted the message where I said you had a VI. https://www.tlt.com/careers/trainees/trainee-insights-and-events/applying-for-a-training-contract/ there is a reference to it here which I think could be sort of misleading.
    Thank you

Hi!

Thanks!

Ngl you need to update this or I would have applied if I knew you'd scrapped them

They said at the insight scheme in summer that they had VI too.

boomer

Jan 14, 2023
    A firm wants two work referees. I have one who I'm currently working for, so I'll give their details. The second is one I haven't spoken to for a few months, so I am unsure if I can put them down right now (as I don't have permission). Can I leave one blank for now, and add details if the firm wants to contact my referees? The deadline is tomorrow, and I don't know if I'll get a reply before then. @Jessica Booker
    I would put them down and send them an email explaining the deadline and saying you hope they don’t mind and asking if it would be ok if firms require it in the future. I wouldn’t leave it blank

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker can you confirm or deny if they see our practice answers…
    Unlikely in most situations - it may be the case they can in some instances, but generally I haven't been able to see them previously.

Even if they can see them, I really don't think they will bother watching them - they won't have the time to do so.

SK02

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 11, 2021
    Hi guys, can anyone suggest how to approach this question -:

What makes you particularly suited to a career at Trowers & Hamlins compared to other applicants?

Ps: the deadline is today so any quick recommendations would be appreciated.

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Does anyone have advice for not checking/refreshing your emails over a million times a day?

I can't help but refresh my emails every time I am on my phone, especially with 12 applications out there in the Metaverse.

It has become really draining.

Every time I get an email, I get excited that a law firm has replied but in reality, it's Just Eat and Deliveroo discount codes.

Please help :(

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Does anyone have advice for not checking/refreshing your emails over a million times a day?

I can't help but refresh my emails every time I am on my phone, especially with 12 applications out there in the Metaverse.

Every time I get an email, I get excited that a law firm has replied but in reality, it's Just Eat and Deliveroo discount codes.

Re thinking a firm has replied and then realising it's spam, you could make a separate folder and direct all the law firm correspondence there?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, can anyone suggest how to approach this question -:

What makes you particularly suited to a career at Trowers & Hamlins compared to other applicants?

Ps: the deadline is today so any quick recommendations would be appreciated.
    You’ll need to think about your individual strengths, whether they be qualities, values or motivations and then link these to the specifics of what the firm can offer you, whether it be the opportunity of the training contract or the environment in which you will complete it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Turn off notifications entirely for any period of time you don’t need an update from anyone.

I worked out I had over a 1,000 notifications from my phone and laptop in one day last week and that is a bonkers amount of time to be distracted every time one pops up (worked out it must be at least an hour and a half lost each day), so I have started to put my phone on “do not disturb” and I not check my email at planned times of the day.

It’s slow progress but feel it is definitely helping.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022

Turn off notifications entirely for any period of time you don’t need an update from anyone.

I worked out I had over a 1,000 notifications from my phone and laptop in one day last week and that is a bonkers amount of time to be distracted every time one pops up (worked out it must be at least an hour and a half lost each day), so I have started to put my phone on “do not disturb” and I not check my email at planned times of the day.

It’s slow progress but feel it is definitely helping.
    I also do this. I will then tell myself that I'll complete my admin when I'm on the train at the end of the day, or if I'm WFH, I'll just set out some time to go through my emails and messages while also listening to a podcast or something. It's so much easier to mark emails that you need to action when they're all in a big group (especially as they'll likely have had multiple updates by the time you read them!).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.