TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah T

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 9, 2020
    Completed my tests 28th or 29th November, got the strengths report on 30th November, not heard back yet… I don’t think anyone has heard back!
    I was just at an event with Mayer Brown they said that they are just starting to screen following the tests so they will start working their way through. The priority will be spring vac applicants atm.

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    Does anyone know whether it’s a good or bad sign that interviewers keep pushing you, like keep ask further questions on your answers? Also if in an interview if you answer incorrectly, got a bit of hint, then reply correctly, will that be a big problem?

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 28, 2021
    Does anyone know whether it’s a good or bad sign that interviewers keep pushing you, like keep ask further questions on your answers? Also if in an interview if you answer incorrectly, got a bit of hint, then reply correctly, will that be a big problem?
    Not in my experience? A lot of interviews are designed to push you and see whether you can handle the pressure and go deeper into your answers. It’s inevitable that you might get some questions not wholly correct but it’s how you deal with it and your thought process. That’s just my opinion of it anyway :)

hanz123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 16, 2022
    anyone else feeling quite stressed about this whole process? most of my firms haven’t gotten back to me yet, and it’s really challenging to fight the urge to consistently check emails/email graduate recruitment. obviously my main priority is my degree, but it’s definitely terrifying to consider what happens if i do not secure a vacation scheme and convert it into a training contract.
    Can relate to this, it's so stressful.

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    I did a few partner interviews previously on legal case studies rather than commercial and that analytical element is what I really enjoyed.

From my perspective, the purpose of pushing you is to test your thinking. And I know that whatever answer I give, it will be scrutinised by someone who might be an expert in the area. They want to see if you can defend your point and come up with a reply on the spot that is well-considered. That can be really tricky if you're not used to debating or mooting (especially at the international level) but I personally find it quite refreshing to have my perspective challenged from time to time :)

Think of this exercise as a "game" in seeing who can come up with the most balanced and persuasive argument instead of the partner or associate trying to knock your argument down. This helps calm my nerves a lot!

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    I can never help but be offended when I get a feedback report for a silly online assessment telling me I have low skill or competency in xyz, because I know I don’t - I tend to avoid firms that do these because it just feels so insane to judge based on this kind of thing??
    Honestly feels like the buzzfeed personality tests I used to do when I was in school where they told me what gossip girl I was from my food choices

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.