TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
for a scheme I have been offered is it okay to email and ask whether or not the dates impact chances of success at all, i.e do the firm hand out offers on the first scheme before the second has even commenced? and what percentage of those on the scheme receive offers?

The first question is because I have been offered a choice between schemes

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
for a scheme I have been offered is it okay to email and ask whether or not the dates impact chances of success at all, i.e do the firm hand out offers on the first scheme before the second has even commenced? and what percentage of those on the scheme receive offers?

The first question is because I have been offered a choice between schemes
Even if it did impact your chances (it really wont though), they are not going to tell you that.

There isn’t a percentage of people who are offered though. They will hire who they want to hire - it could be coincidence that they are from one scheme more heavily than the next, just because they were the right candidates (and they won’t know if that is the case until the schemes have concluded).

Choose the scheme date that works best for you.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Even if it did impact your chances (it really wont though), they are not going to tell you that.

There isn’t a percentage of people who are offered though. They will hire who they want to hire - it could be coincidence that they are from one scheme more heavily than the next, just because they were the right candidates (and they won’t know if that is the case until the schemes have concluded).

Choose the scheme date that works best for you.
thanks so much for this! in regards to the second question (asking what percentage typically receive offers YOY, is that an okay question to ask? I was made the offer verbally and told if I had any questions at all about the scheme to not hesitate and email

I know what you mentioned about not to get fixated on the details but I am choosing between schemes and obviously want to provide myself with the best chance of securing a TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thanks so much for this! in regards to the second question (asking what percentage typically receive offers YOY, is that an okay question to ask? I was made the offer verbally and told if I had any questions at all about the scheme to not hesitate and email

I know what you mentioned about not to get fixated on the details but I am choosing between schemes and obviously want to provide myself with the best chance of securing a TC.
I don’t see the point in asking it - it doesn’t tell you anything about what your chances of securing a vacation scheme, just what a collective group of other people’s chances were based on their individual circumstances. There is no reason to ask this to try and help you pick which scheme within a firm to choose from.

Reactions: lawapplicant

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
I don’t see the point in asking it - it doesn’t tell you anything about what your chances of securing a vacation scheme, just what a collective group of other people’s chances were based on their individual circumstances. There is no reason to ask this to try and help you pick which scheme within a firm to choose from.
I meant schemes given by different firms - I.e clashing dates and trying to maximise chances

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I meant schemes given by different firms - I.e clashing dates and trying to maximise chances
I still don’t think this is a good measure. Just because it was a certain percentage, doesn’t mean it will be this year.

It also doesn’t factor in renege rates (a firm with a 100% acceptance rate is going to make fewer offers than a firm with a 70% acceptance rate).

I’d go with the firm that is a better fit for you rather than deciding on these type of figures.

But if you want to get your head around this, you’d probably be able to do a good attempt of the calculations yourself by just looking at the VS to TC ratio.

Reactions: CorpLawyer00

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
I've been rejected from a number of firms and it's left me feeling very demotivated and unsure about what to do next year (I'm a final year undergraduate).

I know training contract applications are still open, would these be worth applying to or are you at a significant disadvantage if trying to apply for a TC without a VS? Surely doesn't bode well if I'm unable to get a VS when applying for a TC either.
I received two direct TC offers without a VS on my app. Just leverage your current experience and any other legal experience in your app, and make sure you can show a demonstrable interest in commercial law (events, online internships). There’s no harm in applying - I made one of those apps just after my final year

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Does anyone know re Ashurst direct TC whether you have to/is favourable to network with the firm or attend events before applying? The thing is that I have been to enough events and done schemes before to the point where I feel some events are not the best use of my time, not to mention that I know enough about law firms to know that Ashurst is a firm I would like to train at, so can I send an app for direct tc without networking with the firm or completing their virtual programme?

@Jessica Booker - what is your take on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.