TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomar

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2022
@wagman1233 IMHO this is a bad example that @daisy_yawn has provided.

Why? Because Elon controls a majority of the voting block through a special type of share and you could argue his "expertise" is why he is in full control. Although there is a board in place at Tesla, it is Elon's vision and he really sees the business better than anyone else.

In my mind, a more salient and recent example is the Disney board not keeping Bob Chapek (not to be confused wit Bob Iger) in check.

Iger stepped down as CEO a while ago, and Chapek got put in as CEO to replace Iger. Chapek then goes and makes comments about Florida's Dont Say Gay law, which resulted in Disney losing their special tax exemption in Florida.

Disney stock price tanked as a result - because now it has to pay tax in that region - and Chapek steps down.

Iger is now back as CEO to clean the mess up and appease investors.

Ultimately, the board wore this one. They did not keep Chapke in check. There should have been a sophisticated PR/GR strategy, and it is a failure in corporate governance/ESG policy.

Hope that helps.

Read more about it here: https://www.ft.com/content/3479f9a1-0b74-43ca-8a53-e3bb1792cdd2

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
So much respect for everyone on this thread. Honestly don’t know how you all do it.
Yesterday was one of those days. Two PFOs, busy all day but felt like nothing achieved, dealing with difficult individuals for the renovations…
As someone just coming to terms with being neurodiverse and pushing to get help for it, I’m still struggling with major highs and major lows emotionally. That in itself is even more frustrating because, logically, I know it doesn’t matter and my time will come, so then I get cross that I feel so upset about it. But my word those feelings are intense. The feeling of being a total failure, that I’ll never be good enough and how stupid I was to think I’d be considered in the first place.
I hope you don’t mind me sharing this. I’m a ‘heart of my sleeve’ kinda girl and needed to share with those who might understand, but also say how much respect I’ve got for all of you who have the resilience to plough on cycle after cycle. You rock!

Does anyone know any private 1-2-1 mentors who can help with the whole app process? I’m going down the route of TCLA and Aspiring Solicitors (although a previous bad experience there makes me nervous) but I wonder if I’d benefit from an alternative method of support.

Any help would be wonderful. So overwhelmed and struggling right now. Wish more than anything I didn’t get in such a pickle and that this shadow called ADHD had been identified and dealt with years ago. 😢

Niloufar Nateghi

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2019
@wagman1233 IMHO this is a bad example that @daisy_yawn has provided.

Why? Because Elon controls a majority of the voting block through a special type of share and you could argue his "expertise" is why he is in full control. Although there is a board in place at Tesla, it is Elon's vision and he really sees the business better than anyone else.

In my mind, a more salient and recent example is the Disney board not keeping Bob Chapek (not to be confused wit Bob Iger) in check.

Iger stepped down as CEO a while ago, and Chapek got put in as CEO to replace Iger. Chapek then goes and makes comments about Florida's Dont Say Gay law, which resulted in Disney losing their special tax exemption in Florida.

Disney stock price tanked as a result - because now it has to pay tax in that region - and Chapek steps down.

Iger is now back as CEO to clean the mess up and appease investors.

Ultimately, the board wore this one. They did not keep Chapke in check. There should have been a sophisticated PR/GR strategy, and it is a failure in corporate governance/ESG policy.

Hope that helps.

Read more about it here: https://www.ft.com/content/3479f9a1-0b74-43ca-8a53-e3bb1792cdd2
thank you!!

Autotunedbird

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2021
So much respect for everyone on this thread. Honestly don’t know how you all do it.
Yesterday was one of those days. Two PFOs, busy all day but felt like nothing achieved, dealing with difficult individuals for the renovations…
As someone just coming to terms with being neurodiverse and pushing to get help for it, I’m still struggling with major highs and major lows emotionally. That in itself is even more frustrating because, logically, I know it doesn’t matter and my time will come, so then I get cross that I feel so upset about it. But my word those feelings are intense. The feeling of being a total failure, that I’ll never be good enough and how stupid I was to think I’d be considered in the first place.
I hope you don’t mind me sharing this. I’m a ‘heart of my sleeve’ kinda girl and needed to share with those who might understand, but also say how much respect I’ve got for all of you who have the resilience to plough on cycle after cycle. You rock!

Does anyone know any private 1-2-1 mentors who can help with the whole app process? I’m going down the route of TCLA and Aspiring Solicitors (although a previous bad experience there makes me nervous) but I wonder if I’d benefit from an alternative method of support.

Any help would be wonderful. So overwhelmed and struggling right now. Wish more than anything I didn’t get in such a pickle and that this shadow called ADHD had been identified and dealt with years ago. 😢

I feel that! Girl, your feelings are valid and this is such a highly competitive profession that every single person has felt your exact emotions at least once. It happens to the best of us. All I can say is be patient with yourself, be kind, have compassion and understand what is meant for you, is reserved for you. You just have to take breaks when you need to and get right back on it. I also have ADHD and I have my own struggle with it - we're mostly friends now after years of hating each other.

For mentorship, try to get your application in for GROW mentorship, HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it, their deadline is tomorrow.

Can't emphasise enough the importance of a mentor, you need that outside person to see what you can't see and guide you.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022

Hey, thanks for sharing. You may want to sign up to these mentoring schemes:

https://www.growmentoring.org/mentors the deadline is this Sunday night!
https://thestudentlawyer.com/the-student-lawyer-mentorship-scheme/ deadline is 28th Feb.

Edit: https://neurodiversityinlaw.co.uk/membership/ this looks promising also!

Best of luck @Tattyasha !

Last edited:

NickyAndo

Premium Member
Jun 22, 2022

I completely understand where you're coming from and how you feel. As someone who is now 28 and has not secured a TC, I am constantly thinking about how much of a failure I am. Despite having 6 years of paralegal experience in an international construction firm where I did tasks which trainees do daily and even solicitors, have worked with a number of law firms I have applied to, completed the LPC while working and have a law degree I still can't get to where I want to be. It's been PFO after PFO for me and for a lot of firms that I have applied to, I can't even get past the application stage! I am so grateful to TCLA for giving us this forum and resources because it would be even worse without them! 😂 Just know that you're not alone and we somehow have to keep being positive and not compare ourselves to others, which is something I struggle with. I firmly believe that our time will come but we have to keep going and do the best that we can. We all have different journeys and we have to remember that. As cheesy as it sounds, one of my favourite things to say to myself is what Dory says in Finding Nemo: Just Keep Swimming! Sending you so much support and positivity and I hope that everything works out for you! ❤️

Bubbles

Legendary Member
Jan 19, 2022
(sorry for the long post)

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could offer any advice on how I can keep on top of commercial news?
I've always struggled with this area, I look at a news website like FT and get overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff that's on there and never know where and what to read.
I've realised that listening to news briefings while walking to my lectures is more helpful for me, but they are at the end of the day just briefings. For example, I just read the above post about the Disney CEO shuffle - I knew that Bob Chapek had been appointed CEO (because I listened to a news briefing), but I didn't know about anything that had happened after that

How do I effectively ensure that I have deeper knowledge of this stuff?

BonanzaBih_

Esteemed Member
Jan 17, 2023
(sorry for the long post)

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could offer any advice on how I can keep on top of commercial news?
I've always struggled with this area, I look at a news website like FT and get overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff that's on there and never know where and what to read.
I've realised that listening to news briefings while walking to my lectures is more helpful for me, but they are at the end of the day just briefings. For example, I just read the above post about the Disney CEO shuffle - I knew that Bob Chapek had been appointed CEO (because I listened to a news briefing), but I didn't know about anything that had happened after that

How do I effectively ensure that I have deeper knowledge of this stuff?
I feel what has helped me is picking 2-3 issues and following that. I for example am really interested in project finance in Africa so I look for articles and updates in that sector and follow the news and this can be applied for any current issue that interests you. Hope this helps!!

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
I feel that! Girl, your feelings are valid and this is such a highly competitive profession that every single person has felt your exact emotions at least once. It happens to the best of us. All I can say is be patient with yourself, be kind, have compassion and understand what is meant for you, is reserved for you. You just have to take breaks when you need to and get right back on it. I also have ADHD and I have my own struggle with it - we're mostly friends now after years of hating each other.

For mentorship, try to get your application in for GROW mentorship, HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it, their deadline is tomorrow.

Can't emphasise enough the importance of a mentor, you need that outside person to see what you can't see and guide you.
Hey, thanks for sharing. You may want to sign up to these mentoring schemes:

https://www.growmentoring.org/mentors the deadline is this Sunday night!
https://thestudentlawyer.com/the-student-lawyer-mentorship-scheme/ deadline is 28th Feb.

Edit: https://neurodiversityinlaw.co.uk/membership/ this looks promising also!

Best of luck @Tattyasha !
I completely understand where you're coming from and how you feel. As someone who is now 28 and has not secured a TC, I am constantly thinking about how much of a failure I am. Despite having 6 years of paralegal experience in an international construction firm where I did tasks which trainees do daily and even solicitors, have worked with a number of law firms I have applied to, completed the LPC while working and have a law degree I still can't get to where I want to be. It's been PFO after PFO for me and for a lot of firms that I have applied to, I can't even get past the application stage! I am so grateful to TCLA for giving us this forum and resources because it would be even worse without them! 😂 Just know that you're not alone and we somehow have to keep being positive and not compare ourselves to others, which is something I struggle with. I firmly believe that our time will come but we have to keep going and do the best that we can. We all have different journeys and we have to remember that. As cheesy as it sounds, one of my favourite things to say to myself is what Dory says in Finding Nemo: Just Keep Swimming! Sending you so much support and positivity and I hope that everything works out for you! ❤️
Thank you so, so much you guys. I actually don’t know where I’d be without having this wonderful support network. Please, if you ever need to vent like I have, feel free to message me anytime. I’ll always be here to listen and comfort where I can xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.