TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
sorry this may not be of much help, but what comes to mind are finance related careers, perhaps the banking and investment sector (i know this is also a really competitive area but there is no harm in researching and seeing what options are out there- i know the FCA even do summer internships), maybe working in-house for a company, a paralegal role in a commercial firm if you can, if not then maybe a more hands on business role like marketing or business development

these may not be the best options for you as only you know what is best suited to your interests and experiences but hopefully it's of some help :)

in the meantime, i really hope you hear good news soon, all the best!! :)
Thank you for this - it means a lot :) I've actually done a few years in the finance sector, however I've felt a tad bored if I'm honest - I'm hoping to move to law so I can essentially be at the centre of a deal, rather than just do the part of the deal that I'm told to be involved with, if that makes sense? And I invest in my own time, however I don't know if my maths is of the level to make a career out of it (there are already probably 100+ people on reddit who can complete the mathematics and analysis more comprehensively than I can!!).
With regards to paralegal work, I do not have any sort of law degree - I imagine this is, sadly, a bit of a barrier to me? I'll definitely take a look at BD though - I found the strategic element of this quite interesting during my VS last year!! And I hadn't thought of trying that separately to law! Thank you :)

• 🤝
Reactions: rosec

Sarah T

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 9, 2020
    Was hoping to bump this again. For reasons beyond my control, this cycle will have to be my last, and I really need a backup plan as things haven't been going well for me. Thanks

- Paralegalling
    - Tax
    - Financial Ombudsman and other ombudsmen roles and the National Audit Office.
    - Compliance roles in banking
    - Insurance Claims and Loss Adjuster
    - Business Management
    - Procurement or Commercial Roles
    - PR
    - Legal Recruitment ( in a law firm or in an agency)

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    Thank you for this - it means a lot :) I've actually done a few years in the finance sector, however I've felt a tad bored if I'm honest - I'm hoping to move to law so I can essentially be at the centre of a deal, rather than just do the part of the deal that I'm told to be involved with, if that makes sense? And I invest in my own time, however I don't know if my maths is of the level to make a career out of it (there are already probably 100+ people on reddit who can complete the mathematics and analysis more comprehensively than I can!!).
    With regards to paralegal work, I do not have any sort of law degree - I imagine this is, sadly, a bit of a barrier to me? I'll definitely take a look at BD though - I found the strategic element of this quite interesting during my VS last year!! And I hadn't thought of trying that separately to law! Thank you :)
    you're welcome!! :) that makes a lot of sense and it's great that you've actually experienced it and been able to come to the conclusion that it's not for you. also it's great to hear that you found BD interesting and may consider it separately. i think there's no harm in trying to apply for paralegal roles if you can, even if you don't have a law degree. it sounds like you have a good amount of experience and some exposure to business environments so you may be able to leverage your experience when applying for paralegal roles :)

aleo

Oct 31, 2022
    Was hoping to bump this again. For reasons beyond my control, this cycle will have to be my last, and I really need a backup plan as things haven't been going well for me. Thanks
    Several firms also have various legal operations roles they advertise to graduates (HSF is one), this might be something worth looking into if you still want to work in something related to the legal industry

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Have you considered talking to a career advisor? They could be helpful not just in finding what are viable back up plans but also for helping you figure out how to harness your experiences or take up more work experience that could help you succeed next cycle.

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Just did the W&C VI.

Some questions threw me off but felt as if I answered the questions well enough. I didn't repeat myself as I have done in the past and I also didn't freeze as I have previously.

Let's see what happens!

The only worrying thing was when I was doing the practice questions and reviewing my answers, the screen was somewhat blurry. I don't know if this has anything to do with my internet connection or if its the platform they use.

If anyone has done the W&C VI recently, can you let me know if your video for your practice answer was a little blurry?

You might have accidentally or automatically put on the blur function which is there for people who don't want to be distracted by seeing themselves on the screen, and if so don't worry they will see a clear picture

Reactions: Ali A

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Have you considered talking to a career advisor? They could be helpful not just in finding what are viable back up plans but also for helping you figure out how to harness your experiences or take up more work experience that could help you succeed next cycle.
    Yes, I've spoken to several careers advisors. A couple are ex-legal recruiters. They've all been 100% happy with my apps, and have been super shocked when I haven't got through the first stage of the process. I've also had friends who are associates look at my apps, and say they're significantly better than theirs were (and also suggested small changes to further improve). I'm think maybe the process is just even more competitive than it was 5-7 years ago. If anyone on here who has been super successful this cycle might be happy to take a look at my apps, I'd be so appreciative :)

milo

Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2022
    I've been invited to Baker's VI for their summer scheme and was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight into what I might be asked - are the questions motivation or competency based, or a mix between the two? Should I expect a commercial or even technical question? Has anyone done it that can remember a specific q they were asked? Many thanks!

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    also - I've recently applied to Simmons' Bristol vac scheme - this is my first application to a non-London scheme, and I was wondering whether the app process was different?

I have to do the VI within the next 10 days and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this, or with the tests? If you have any advice, please react to this or drop me a line! Much appreciated :)

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    They will do TC later - if you are spring they have said they will be prioritising that over summer as they need to run spring ACs in Feb. I would just sit tight as they are a team of two and I have applied to them in previous cycle they don’t ghost applicants.
    okay thank you, I appreciate your help - but now I'm even more confused as I did apply for Spring loooool 😅 Do you know if firms have some sort of waitlist? That's what it's feeling like lol

Reactions: Sarah T
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.