TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2022
There won’t be one - if they some how got really unlucky and no one was good enough on their vacation schemes, they would just recruit more external/direct applicants.

With roughly 80 trainees to recruit each year, and especially once you factor in people declining their TC offer for other firms, if you are a good fit for Slaughters you’ll be made an offer - it’s one of those firms where you don’t need to fixate on the competiton, you just have to focus on presenting yourself to the best of your abilities.
Do you know how many direct TC offers they make?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
There won’t be one - if they some how got really unlucky and no one was good enough on their vacation schemes, they would just recruit more external/direct applicants.

With roughly 80 trainees to recruit each year, and especially once you factor in people declining their TC offer for other firms, if you are a good fit for Slaughters you’ll be made an offer - it’s one of those firms where you don’t need to fixate on the competiton, you just have to focus on presenting yourself to the best of your abilities.
The converse of this has been worrying me. I seem to have significantly more success with US firms with small intakes - likely because this way of working suits me more. However, the VS to TC conversion rates seem to be 25%-33% ish. When there are too many candidates who fit the firm well, complete work of an excellent quality, and are generally very personable, how does the firm decide who to give a TC offer to? I missed out last year despite being told I was good enough for an offer, and I also got on really well with everyone. Thanks ☺️

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
is there a reason that most, if not all firms dont have any schemes in august? They are all competing for the same talent and bunch their schemes so much?
A guess would be that it takes time to give offers, get them signed (+ references etc), and then also time to onboard for law school (eg. Candidates might need to start in September 2023).

Reactions: CorpLawyer00

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
is there a reason that most, if not all firms dont have any schemes in august? They are all competing for the same talent and bunch their schemes so much?
Worst time of year.

All the lawyers are on holiday/there isn’t much work/the grad recruitment team are preparing to onboard new trainees starting in September

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The converse of this has been worrying me. I seem to have significantly more success with US firms with small intakes - likely because this way of working suits me more. However, the VS to TC conversion rates seem to be 25%-33% ish. When there are too many candidates who fit the firm well, complete work of an excellent quality, and are generally very personable, how does the firm decide who to give a TC offer to? I missed out last year despite being told I was good enough for an offer, and I also got on really well with everyone. Thanks ☺️
They give the TCs to the candidates they thought were the strongest performers/best fit for the firm. That can mean turning down people who were good enough, but comparatively not as strong as other vac schemers.

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2022
They give the TCs to the candidates they thought were the strongest performers/best fit for the firm. That can mean turning down people who were good enough, but comparatively not as strong as other vac schemers.
Would you say then, it’s harder to get an offer through direct TC because they will keep places open for vac scheme holders? Or is it really just making up the group of 80/90 on a case by case basis?

adrian_nlh

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2023
hey I have been offered an interview at travers smith! If anyone has any guidance AT ALL I would so massively appreciate it- ive not done any yet and have no clue what to expect! Thanks so much!
I am not interested in Trav but I know two people who interviewed with them. Apparently, it is very unpredictable, and you should be prepared to think on your feet on top of standard questions like 'why commercial law'. However, it is more conversational than a lot of other firms' interviews. Some interviews have a more philosophical angle, some a more commercial angle. Just don't let them throw you off balance.

Reactions: axbg and rosec

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have a link to the list of strength-based questions and the commercial knowledge question examples on this forum?
You can find a list of various interview questions here:

Reactions: User260802

Phoebe Turner

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 16, 2020

Hi Jessica, I’m trying to avoid focusing on it but do you think Linklaters is one of these firms too? I saw on chambers that 70% of vac schemers become trainees, I thought it was higher but I don’t know how many turn down offers ofc

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I’m trying to avoid focusing on it but do you think Linklaters is one of these firms too? I saw on chambers that 70% of vac schemers become trainees, I thought it was higher but I don’t know how many turn down offers ofc
Linklaters have around 100 trainees a year and 100 internship opportunities.

Not everyone is going to meet the standard the firm expects, some people are not going to be right for the firm/the firm isn’t right for them, and some people will decline offers for other firms. So 70% of trainees having been vac schemers is actually very healthy figure.

Reactions: lawapplicant
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.