TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuccessfulSolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2023
Just completed my VI with W&C (my 4th VI of this cycle) and I'm getting more frustrated at how badly they're going.

I feel well prepared, research the firm and try and smile/be natural, but they always seem to go wrong. I get flustered, trip over my words, check the timer and have 5 seconds to make a point and regardless of whether the question is good or not, I never have time to articulate what I'm saying.

It's becoming really demotivating as I put plenty of time into researching and writing applications, but getting to a VI is almost pointless at this stage as I just cannot for the life of me get past one.

Any tips? (and sorry for such a negative post :( )
How is it your 4th this cycle? You can apply to W&C once in an academic year…

The best thing to do is practice talking aloud and memorise potential answers to questions. Also speak clearly, stare directly at the camera and don’t worry about stuttering, just get the word out eventually.
The key is being confident in yourself no matter what!

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
How is it your 4th this cycle? You can apply to W&C once in an academic year…

The best thing to do is practice talking aloud and memorise potential answers to questions. Also speak clearly, stare directly at the camera and don’t worry about stuttering, just get the word out eventually.
The key is being confident in yourself no matter what!
They said its their 4th VI in this cycle, meaning they had other VI's with other firms, I assume.

Reactions: Maham

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi I am looking for some advice. I have just received an AC from a firm I really like. However, I have already accepted a VS from another firm which also was a target firm for me. The two VS clash. I am wondering if I can ask this firm to make this an AC for a Direct TC or would that request get rejected alongside my AC invite altogether. This firm does usually have a healthy intake from Direct TCs
They are not going to pull your AC - at worst they will just say you have to decline the invitation.

There is no harm in at least seeing/asking whether you can be considered for another opportunity, whether that be alternative vacation scheme or a direct TC process. The worst they can say is no, and then you have to work out whether to proceed with the VS interview or withdraw your candidacy.

You could of course also renege on your current VS offer to accept this opportunity (if you were successful at securing a VS with this second firm).

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Is it likely that if I asked, for instance, a trainee on Linkedin at a particular firm they would be willing to do mock interviews for free?
I’m going to be candid here but no. It’s not likely. It’s a lot to ask of someone you don’t know. Especially when in reality they are getting nothing in return. Also mock interviews take a lot of prep for the interviewer as they are expected to give feedback and trainees themselves probably aren’t used to conducting interviews from that perspective. Trainees are busy trying to learn a new job - themselves effectively on a 2 year job interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Do you have any advice on how to get interview practice? I know TCLA offers a mock service but it's quite pricey for me. Do you have any resources / knowledge of organisations that offer free mock interview services?
Your university careers service may offer this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it likely that if I asked, for instance, a trainee on Linkedin at a particular firm they would be willing to do mock interviews for free?
Even if they are, they may not be the best person to ask. Yes, they can apply their own experiences but they don’t necessarily know how the give you feedback/what a law firm is looking for in candidates. It may be no different to asking a friend from uni to give you a mock interview.

peachlemonade

Standard Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2023
Orrick PFO after WG.

But on a separate note, I'm kind of in despair about all my applications atm. I emailed Hogan about my WG score since I got rejected after it & turns out my WG score was in the 95th percentile. I also spent hours and hours on my written sections because I really wanted to get the Hogan VS, I really don't know what else I could've done. These apps are so tough

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
I assume I can commute into London? How often would I have an in person thing for SQE?
can I enrol onto a postgrad course along side it, get the postgrad loan, and just neglect the postgrad?
@Jessica Booker regarding what I said about postgrad course, is this something that would be possible to do? Also, am I correct in saying that if I secure a TC, I am not supposed to apply for VS again. However, is that different when applying to a direct TC? I'm thinking if I am successful in getting a TC this year, I can accept that as like an insurance, and then apply for direct TC's at 'better' (higher paying) firms? Then rescind the original offer if successful.

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Orrick PFO after WG.

But on a separate note, I'm kind of in despair about all my applications atm. I emailed Hogan about my WG score since I got rejected after it & turns out my WG score was in the 95th percentile. I also spent hours and hours on my written sections because I really wanted to get the Hogan VS, I really don't know what else I could've done. These apps are so tough

Heya, I'm sorry to hear about that

But honestly you're clearly amazing and have so many attributes to be proud of! Whether you get rejected or not doesn't change that

I got countlesssss rejections this cycle, one even rejected me within 5 minutes! It happens but you know what, that's OK

Have you considered doing some more direct tc applications? you genuinely got this and what is meant for you will come, and it will be better than you ever hoped for

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.