TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law Student

Distinguished Member
Dec 20, 2022
Congratulations to everyone receiving offers! I just received two post-AC rejections in the course of three days, don't know how much resilience and drive and other trainee abilities I have left in me
You still got so far in the process! You should be proud of yourself

What tips would you give to people attending assessment centres that you wish you knew?

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023

What tips would you give to people attending assessment centres that you wish you knew?
One piece of advice I'd give for interviews with HR/grad rec/partners is that when you're prepping, avoid over-prepping answers such that they're more or less scripted - usually they will ask a variation of the question that you prepared for and you wanna make sure you directly answer that they asked and go with the flow rather than trying to remember what you prepared. Also that it's okay to take a second after the question is asked before jumping in so you can collect your thoughts first.

LawSir101

Mar 1, 2023

One piece of advice I'd give for interviews with HR/grad rec/partners is that when you're prepping, avoid over-prepping answers such that they're more or less scripted - usually they will ask a variation of the question that you prepared for and you wanna make sure you directly answer that they asked and go with the flow rather than trying to remember what you prepared. Also that it's okay to take a second after the question is asked before jumping in so you can collect your thoughts first.
To add to this and all the helpful tips spread across TCLA, here's slightly bleaker advice: be prepared to say stupid things and not let them domino your overall performance. In my experience with ACs, I have wondered, beyond a healthy amount, what others think of things I have said, so much so to deter my performance. Though you are being judged, it is done chiefly fairly and transparently.

At my last AC, the other candidates insulted me (the only POC on the day) right before me - resulting in my collapse, inability to speak up and consequent PFO. I wish I could go back and tell myself that their opinions did not matter, but insults don't mix well with nerves. Remember to enjoy yourself on the day, pretend you already work there, and remind yourself of trickier situations you've got through - if you've got to AC, you are clearly doing something right and it just boils down to the presentation of your abilities on the day. Good luck!

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2022
This! It’s okay to take a minute or even ask them to rephrase the question - it shows you’re really thinking through your answer and aren’t just impulsively answering :)

Reactions: Law Student

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    😳😳😍😍🥰❤️🔥🔥🔥😍😍😳 Goodwin Summer Vac Scheme Offer 😩😩😩😩🥰😱💦💦💕♥️😳🔥😩😩😱😩✝️🐿️❤️🥰😱😱💦💕💕💦🔥🔥😱🔥😩🔥💦🔥💦🔥💦🔥😱🔥🥵🥵🥵🥵😩😳😳

[interviewed last Friday]
    YAYYYYYY🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊🎊
    CONGRATULATION!!!!

• Love
    Reactions: Adrian_S

AlCapone

Star Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    Can anyone shed some light on how long firms usually take to get back to you between final interview and VS outcome??? (confirmation call / rejection email) had the interview a week ago today and literally can't focus on anything else.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.