TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 3, 2022
Sadly I can’t help here, but I just want to say that you’re absolutely nailing this application cycle! Seen you post quite a bit about your successes, and I just want to say congratulations!
Thank you so much! I think I've just got insanely lucky... This is the first year even one of my applications has gotten past the first stage and I have only discovered this forum this year so milking people's advice for all I can get😅 . Turns out 4th application cycle the charm lol

hanz123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any advice on how to answer this question: How does AG (Addleshaw Goddard) stand out compared to other commercial firms?

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
I graduated in 2018 and my university never provided percentage for each year, or a percentage for my overall degree. My transcript just has my module breakdown and my 2:1 classification, and I called my university and they said they don't degree percentages.

Will it look bad if I don't put my overall degree percentage on an application when it asks?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I graduated in 2018 and my university never provided percentage for each year, or a percentage for my overall degree. My transcript just has my module breakdown and my 2:1 classification, and I called my university and they said they don't degree percentages.

Will it look bad if I don't put my overall degree percentage on an application when it asks?
Were you modules weighted into different forms of credits?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes I believe they were
You will need to be certain of this, but if you know the weighting (in the U.K. this is often 10, 20 and 40 credit modules that add up to 120 credits an academic year), you could calculate the average but make clear this is your calculation as the university doesn’t provide an average.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How long does Hogan Lovells grad recruitment team take before answering to a WG score request? I have sent them an email a couple of days ago asking for my score and they still haven't got back. Thanks!
I'd personally wait 7 working days before chasing up, especially at this time of year.

Reactions: lllaaawww098

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any advice on how to answer this question: How does AG (Addleshaw Goddard) stand out compared to other commercial firms?
The way I'd approach this is to identify certain factors that make AG stand out to you (offices, practices, TC structure, business strategy etc.) ➡️ identify competitors that match AG on these factors ➡️ compare AG to these firms based on these factors and identify their USP ➡️ write about how these USPs makes AG stand out.

Does this make sense?

Reactions: hanz123

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
For anyone who's filled out the White & Case application (or similar)...when the application ask if each work experince is SQE Qualifying Experience, are they asking if you've already had it signed off as QWE or is it asking whether the role would qualify as QWE?

I've had Document Review and Paralegal experience, but I've not done anything SQE related so haven't had anything signed as QWE. Do I need to click no?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anybody know if Baker McKenzie reimburse travel expenses for open days? ☺️
I would expect them to (especially given their focus on diversity) but there is no harm in asking the firm this directly. It will be a common question they get from candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.