Status
Not open for further replies.

lmurph

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2022
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a reason as to why firms asked if you have previously applied to a position and what is the reason for asking ? (also would I need to tick a box if I applied for something say 2 years ago ?

Thanks!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Sorry if this is a stupid doubt, but what exactly is the difference between skills and attributes? Apart from the literal meaning, how can one reflect the two differently in an answer? 🙈
Skills relate directly to your work- communication, organisation, teamwork etc.
Attributes directly relate to your nature/character/personality- creative, resilient, intuitive, sensitive etc.

• 🤝
Reactions: born&raised

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
On the Travers Smith application form, as well as being asked to write a cover letter, candidates are asked the following questions:

1. Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests
2. Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere

No word count is given. How much do you think would be a sensible amount to write for each question (for instance, would 250 words be okay)?
@Jessica Booker

Hi guys - apologies in advance for asking, but does anyone have any ideas re this? I'd be immensely grateful to hear from anyone!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a reason as to why firms asked if you have previously applied to a position and what is the reason for asking ? (also would I need to tick a box if I applied for something say 2 years ago ?

Thanks!
Because it’s the easiest way to check in an age of GDPR where they don’t hold your data forever (like they used to).

You should declare it even if it was two years ago. Any previous applications (no matter how long ago they were) should be declared.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Hi, Just to let people know who I know is accepting/rejecting so far.

I applied for A&O on the 29th, august, passed the SJT on the 30th and was rejected on the 11th of September.
I applied for Willkie on the 6th September and got VI invite today.

Kind of sad that A&O do not give feedback tho ):

Reactions: GOI983

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021

I applied for A&O on the 29th, august, passed the SJT on the 30th and was rejected on the 11th of September.

Did you get a rejection email from A&O?

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021

Congratulations on your VI for Willkie. Would you mind sharing the application questions? Thanks :)

Melvin Ng

Sep 22, 2020
    On the Travers Smith application form, as well as being asked to write a cover letter, candidates are asked the following questions:

1. Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests
    2. Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere

No word count is given. How much do you think would be a sensible amount to write for each question (for instance, would 250 words be okay)?
    Hello, i am applying to travers smith but am not sure what is the difference between those 2 sections? Would really appreciate any help here, thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, i am applying to travers smith but am not sure what is the difference between those 2 sections? Would really appreciate any help here, thanks!
    The first is more the activities you do for your own interests, while the second is more the specific achievements and positions of responsibility you have held. There might be some cross over - for instance you could love playing netball and reference that in the first question, while you could have held a captaincy of a netball team and that would be in the second answer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For deadlines that are rolling basis, when should I aim to apply by?
    Is it too late to apply to A&O winter VC?
    Definitely not too late to apply for A&O winter’s scheme - most people won’t have applied yet - most will apply once they are back at university and the firm is doing campus events etc.

My general rule of thumb is to try and apply in the first two thirds of an application window. I am not sure when A&O opened (I think it was a few weeks ago) but given you have a month to the deadline, that general rule would give you another 10 days or so to apply (although you could still apply on the last day of deadlines - I don’t think it’s ever too late to apply, this two-thirds rule is just something to aim for).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica.

I would really appreciate a response regarding this. I applied for A&O on the 26th and passed the SJT the next day. To my knowledge, some people have already been rejected whilst also passing the SJT despite applying after me. Is that a good sign or a bad sign for me? I'm really not sure and would appreciate your view.
    I don't think it means anything, unfortunately. There are a whole host of reasons why someone may hear back quicker than you - I would just sit it out for a couple of more weeks, and follow up in early October if you haven't heard back by then.

Reactions: AvniD

CF12345

Distinguished Member
    Dec 6, 2020
    does this question apply if you have done the GDL?
    If you studied / are studying law, do you have a minimum of 2.1 in your contract and tort modules? If you only have a 2.1 or higher in one. please answer no. *

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.