TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

iratencies

Star Member
Jan 30, 2022
I'm in my second year. I got a 64 average first year [crim 47, const 64, roman law 61] -- not sure if I should bother applying to S&M because I'm hearing from a lot of people that they will basically only take you if you have a 68%+ and I'm scared applying to them will be a waste. Any advice?

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? How will they impact and why?

Is this question on questions that directly impact on the legal profession i.e. cybersecurity, fee-earner burnout, digital demands of clients etc?

Or could it be perceived to be current issues that are impacting upon the work that law firms complete i.e. inflation, ESG concerns etc?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? How will they impact and why?

Is this question on questions that directly impact on the legal profession i.e. cybersecurity, fee-earner burnout, digital demands of clients etc?

Or could it be perceived to be current issues that are impacting upon the work that law firms complete i.e. inflation, ESG concerns etc?
    I think it can be either of those categories.

• Love
    Reactions: sxw517

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Can I write about my passion for journalling as an answer to the question "Other than law, what is something you are passionate about?"
    I am passionate about it because: writing allows me to express my creativity; if I have a problem and write about it, it gives me clarity on the situation; and i love looking back at who I was years ago, and seeing how much I have improved.

There is another question asking about extra-curricular activities and interests so not sure whether it would be better for that. But I have already written about writing for the student newspaper and playing violin for that one. Just don't know where the line is drawn between an interest and passion.
    You can totally write about this! My only concern here is of 'journalling' being misunderstood by the reader as a daily activity, which may make it seem less like a passion. You could consider using 'writing' more generally or 'creative writing' instead?

As for distinguishing between a passion and interest, what do you think the difference for you is? And how can you convey this to the reader?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

Could be either, as Jessica said! The goal should be to draw the link between the issue and its impact on law firms and include more than just a surface level analysis of the same. While it is important, the example itself matters less than drawing out and evaluating this link.

• Love
    Reactions: sxw517

ALYH

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 17, 2021
    Could be either, as Jessica said! The goal should be to draw the link between the issue and its impact on law firms and include more than just a surface level analysis of the same. While it is important, the example itself matters less than drawing out and evaluating this link.
    Hi Avni,

I have a few follow up questions:
    1. In relation to 'current issues', I am struggling to pick on. Any tips on the type of current issues I can pick? One of the current issues I have thought about is the growing inflation rate and interest rates. Do you have any tips on researching current issues?
    2. When we talk about how current issues impact the law firm, must it always be positive?
    3. Would it be good to link what the law firm did to overcome the issue?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Avni,

I have a few follow up questions:
    1. In relation to 'current issues', I am struggling to pick on. Any tips on the type of current issues I can pick? One of the current issues I have thought about is the growing inflation rate and interest rates. Do you have any tips on researching current issues?
    2. When we talk about how current issues impact the law firm, must it always be positive?
    3. Would it be good to link what the law firm did to overcome the issue?

Thank you!
    Hi @ALYH - you don't have to focus on just the positives. I would consider it more in a SWOT analysis process to try and identify the good and bad. I wouldn't recommend focusing on how the law firm has overcome the issue - that suggests to me that the issue is not current (e.g. it is not impacting them right now). They may have taken some steps to try to deal with the issue, but you should ensure your answer reflects the current trend/situation.

For current trends, here are some articles that might help give you some starting points to consider:

Trends affecting the legal profession - Chambers Student Guide
    Three trends that will shape law firms in 2022 | The Law Society
    The Biggest Challenges Facing UK Law Firms In 2022 - The Legists

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD, MH, sxw517 and 1 other person
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.