AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi Avni,

I have a few follow up questions:
1. In relation to 'current issues', I am struggling to pick on. Any tips on the type of current issues I can pick? One of the current issues I have thought about is the growing inflation rate and interest rates. Do you have any tips on researching current issues?
2. When we talk about how current issues impact the law firm, must it always be positive?
3. Would it be good to link what the law firm did to overcome the issue?

Thank you!
@ALYH those are super relevant issues to talk about. My top tips for picking current issues is researching the right sources that are well-suited to aspiring solicitors, like the FT, Watson's Daily, the TCLA newsletter etc.

The impact you discuss abolsutely does not have postive, as @Jessica Booker said, and the focus has to be both on the impact and how the firm can mitigate it or draw opportunities from it.

If you can find the link from past stories, you can definitely mention it!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Is it ok to talk about politics in interviews? For example if I say I’m very interested in politics and am a member of a political party and attend meetings? Would they expect you to name the political party? Or will that just invite questions about why I haven’t chosen a career in politics?
I think the question is in what context would this be relevant to your application to the law firm- how does this show that you're the right person for the job? There may be concerns about why you haven't gone into politics if you don't draw a clear link between your active interest in politics and your motivations for a career in commercial law. If you're worried about namedropping political parties, you could simply state that you actively engage with politics and attend meetings of your chosen party, without going into specifics. But then again, remember that this discussion would need to be relevant to your application.

Reactions: lw2000

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I applied last monday! :) still waiting not sure if i should be worried of if they are just busy
    Nothing to worry about at all, a week for graduate recruitment is a short time (from what I have gathered), also I would expect they are up to their eyeballs with winter vac interviews atm!

Hold tight :)

Seabird15

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2021
    Davis Polk's website says the following: "We will be accepting applications for our summer 2023 vacation scheme from penultimate-year law undergraduates and law postgraduates between 1 December 2022 and 7 January 2023."

Am I right to read this as excluding graduates? Has anyone heard anything from grad rec or one of their events on this?
    Hi there,

I emailed them a week ago and have just got a response, appreciate you may have found your answer but this might help others :)

Grad Rec have said that final year law students and law graduates are not excluded from applying to Davis Polk so long as they can start a training contract in 2025 only. I didn't ask about non-law students or graduates but I think the same probably applies.

Reactions: samni and cherry777

imdeded

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2022
    Hi there,

I emailed them a week ago and have just got a response, appreciate you may have found your answer but this might help others :)

Grad Rec have said that final year law students and law graduates are not excluded from applying so long as they can start a training contract in 2025 only. I didn't ask about non-law students or graduates but I think the same probably applies.
    gradrec told my friend that non-law students/grads can't apply at all if that helps

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    Hi there,

Grad Rec have said that final year law students and law graduates are not excluded from applying to Davis Polk so long as they can start a training contract in 2025 only. I didn't ask about non-law students or graduates but I think the same probably applies.
    Hi, thanks for coming back on this! Really helpful to know :)

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Hey guys, was just wondering. If I was rejected for a firm’s open day, would that affect how they view my VS app/would it be an indicator they would likely reject me if I applied for their VS as well?

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 3, 2022
    Hi everyone, I am just looking for some advice and insight. I am a final year law student, and I feel like I have absolutely no hope of getting a vacation scheme, let alone a direct training contract by the time I graduate. Most of my friends have had positions of leadership like committee roles in university societies and stuff like that, whereas I have nothing. I'm going to list all of my "experiences", and please tell me what you think. While this may seem surprising (since I am literally a law student), I actually only just fully decided I wanted to be a solicitor this summer, so I haven't really had the chance to go out and get experiences and stuff. But anyway, as it stands, this is what I've got:
    • Worked as a receptionist in a local family law firm for over a year (2019-2020)
    • Mooted in my university mooting society for 2 years
    • Wrote articles for my university newspaper (which recently have included law related topics)
    • Played violin in an orchestra from 2016-2020
    • Worked as a waitress in a restaurant
    • Worked as a barista
    • Year abroad
    Since I am fully committed to becoming a solicitor now, I have signed up for commercial awareness workshops and open days etc. but I just don't think it's enough to get me a training contract at the moment. Will it be at all possible?
    I think it is possible as you can use your experiences in a way to demonstrate competencies that firms value but if doesn't come this year do not stress. I've been to 3 open days where trainee cohorts were 22-30 years old.

Speaking as someone who is now 2 years out from university and still not secured a TC, do not panic! If you don't get one this year (and I'm still sure you could!!) get yourself some good paralegal experience at a good firm and you will find the application process much easier (this year has been more successful than any other year I've applied).

Hope this helps but breathe and don't panic! (This is advice to me too) .

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    Hi everyone, I am just looking for some advice and insight. I am a final year law student, and I feel like I have absolutely no hope of getting a vacation scheme, let alone a direct training contract by the time I graduate. Most of my friends have had positions of leadership like committee roles in university societies and stuff like that, whereas I have nothing. I'm going to list all of my "experiences", and please tell me what you think. While this may seem surprising (since I am literally a law student), I actually only just fully decided I wanted to be a solicitor this summer, so I haven't really had the chance to go out and get experiences and stuff. But anyway, as it stands, this is what I've got:
    • Worked as a receptionist in a local family law firm for over a year (2019-2020)
      Mooted in my university mooting society for 2 years
      Wrote articles for my university newspaper (which recently have included law related topics)
      Played violin in an orchestra from 2016-2020
      Worked as a waitress in a restaurant
      Worked as a barista
      Year abroad
    Since I am fully committed to becoming a solicitor now, I have signed up for commercial awareness workshops and open days etc. but I just don't think it's enough to get me a training contract at the moment. Will it be at all possible?

Hi,

I'm probably not the best example as I graduated a few years ago, but I was in the same position as you in my final year (except I finally figure out the process in April with one month left to go lol). Don't put yourself down, if I could go back and talk to final year me, I'd tell her that it's still possible to get legal experience and gain other transferable skills whilst chasing the Vs or TC! Delay is not denial!!

Firstly, change your mindset! It's November and Spring and Summer Vac Scheme applications are still open. A lot of Direct TCs haven't even opened yet (although some firms recommend doing their Vac Schemes if you don't have legal work experience). Take the time to research firms of interest, build on your commercial awareness etc. Feel free to put a post on the TC journey thread on the forum to hold yourself accountable! (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/forums/my-training-contract-journey.81/)

Secondly, just because your experience isn't the same as others, doesn't mean it's any less valuable. In terms of your experiences, don't count them out, you have an impressive range of experiences that prove you will have the skills firm desire. At a glance:

• Worked as a receptionist in a local family law firm for over a year (2019-2020) - Experience that exposed you to the legal industry. What tasks did you do here that you may need to do as a trainee?
    • Mooted in my university mooting society for 2 years - You probably gained skills that will help you in a dispute resolution seat! Plus doing it as an extracurricular proves your commitment!
    • Wrote articles for my university newspaper (which recently have included law related topics) - Demonstrated commerical awareness here and probably attention to detail! Did you have deadlines? Did you balance this with other commitments? You probably displayed good time-management skills!
    • Played violin in an orchestra from 2016-2020 - This shows you have creativity and other passions, as well as being able to learn new skills and work in a team!
    • Worked as a waitress in a restaurant - Shows you are good at working under pressure, attention to detail when remembering orders, being personable when talking to people which translates to good client relationship skills, did you have to show flexibility or deal with difficult customers? This is great too!
    • Worked as a barista - As above
    • Year abroad - Were you, working or studying? If you're planning to apply to global firms, this proves you are willing to try new/unfamiliar things and can be used to demonstrate your global outlook! Did you try to pick up a local language to help you get around?
    I typed a lot, but I'm sure you get the point. This forum is amazing with lots of resources and people willing to help. Don't count yourself out before you've started! Best of luck 💞

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 7, 2022
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if I'm reapplying for a firm I had applied to the year prior, and it has the exact same application process (a cover letter), is it best for me to change my cover letter completely? I'm just aware a lot of my experiences/motivations will be the same. For context, I got to interview stage last year. Any help would be appreciated!

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    I think it is possible as you can use your experiences in a way to demonstrate competencies that firms value but if doesn't come this year do not stress. I've been to 3 open days where trainee cohorts were 22-30 years old.

Speaking as someone who is now 2 years out from university and still not secured a TC, do not panic! If you don't get one this year (and I'm still sure you could!!) get yourself some good paralegal experience at a good firm and you will find the application process much easier (this year has been more successful than any other year I've applied).

Hope this helps but breathe and don't panic! (This is advice to me too) .
    Thank you so much, that's so helpful 🙌

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.