Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This may seem like a silly question, but how do GR go about selecting people to interview in terms of order? Do they split law/non-law? I've noticed that I tend to get invites quite late compared to people who've applied earlier, even when I've applied for early rolling deadlines, and I'm non-law?
There is unfortunately no set approach to this. It could be just down to luck - in many of the teams I worked in, applications got given in batches to different people in the recruitment team and some people screened their applications earlier just due to their workflow. In other cases, previous assessments could create some form of prioritisation (e.g. if you scored higher in a pyschometric test of video interview, you might be brought through earlier than other people). In other cases, there can be sometimes a "hold" category with the candidates who are scoring well but maybe are more borderline, and firms will want to see how that candidate compares to other candidates who apply later in the cycle.

I really wouldn't overthink this as there are too many reasons why someone could hear back before you even if they applied after you did. It's not necessarily a sign of who you are as an applicant. It could literally come down to the person who is responsible for reviewing your application being off sick.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
I applied to Hogan Lovells Lift Off but haven't received a watson glaser invite. For those who applied to the winter scheme, did you receive the watson glaser shortly after submitting your app?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Can you ask HL for your WG score if you haven't yet heard back with either an interview or rejection post-app? I took my WG a few weeks ago now. I would like to know how I scored before I take my next WG for a different firm.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone, I am just looking for some advice and insight. I am a final year law student, and I feel like I have absolutely no hope of getting a vacation scheme, let alone a direct training contract by the time I graduate. Most of my friends have had positions of leadership like committee roles in university societies and stuff like that, whereas I have nothing. I'm going to list all of my "experiences", and please tell me what you think. While this may seem surprising (since I am literally a law student), I actually only just fully decided I wanted to be a solicitor this summer, so I haven't really had the chance to go out and get experiences and stuff. But anyway, as it stands, this is what I've got:
  • Worked as a receptionist in a local family law firm for over a year (2019-2020)
  • Mooted in my university mooting society for 2 years
  • Wrote articles for my university newspaper (which recently have included law related topics)
  • Played violin in an orchestra from 2016-2020
  • Worked as a waitress in a restaurant
  • Worked as a barista
  • Year abroad
Since I am fully committed to becoming a solicitor now, I have signed up for commercial awareness workshops and open days etc. but I just don't think it's enough to get me a training contract at the moment. Will it be at all possible?
Could not agree more with what @traineedreamer and @alishaalexandra1 said above šŸ™Œ All your experiences are incredibly valid and transferable and more than enough to make you a great candidate for a TC if you show the firm why these experiences are valuable, how they make you stand out and how they make you fit to be a part of the firm as a trainee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.