TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Just realised I have a missed call from no caller id from 40 mins ago but won’t let me call back, anyone know whether most firms call back?
    Either they will call back or drop you an email saying they called and asking for your availabilities! Both instances have happened to me :)
    If you missed it because it was schedule, drop them an email with an apology and explanation for why you missed it.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    Got this from Sidley:

"Thank you for your application for our winter vacation scheme.

Unfortunately the number of interview slots are limited and we're not able to consider your application for the scheme.

However, your application impressed us and we would like to consider you for our spring/summer 2023 vacation schemes. We will be in touch in January to confirm if you have been selected for an interview."

Hoping they actually follow through and invite for interview!

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022
    Hogan Lovells WVS PFO

That's 2/2 PFOs so far, and this is my first proper cycle. Any early words of advice, everyone?

I am determined to prove transferable skills as a wannabe career changer and think I can do that convincingly, but I find myself struggling with confidence when it comes to areas I am convinced other applicants will have me beat in, e.g. understanding of the industry, tangible evidence to answer the "why commercial law" question with, etc.

Open to any kind of advice from what I consider the pool of experts here! 😁

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I am generally feeling a bit down about the process at the moment. I am unsure whether I will pass an application review stage again. Last year was my first cycle - I applied to a small number of firms, and I had a good conversion rate of apps to ACs.
    This year, I have felt a lot better about my applications as I have sent them off - very tailored to the firm, and I feel as though I have shown myself in the best light possible. However, I have already received 5 rejections post-app.

For a bit of background, I am non-law, graduated a few years ago, and only decided on law just under a year ago having tried a few different fields.

I guess I would just like some advice. Recently, especially this last week where I have had 3 rejections, I have felt like giving up. A career as a solicitor is my dream, but I am worried it will stay as just a dream, and not become reality. I do not know whether I should rethink and choose a more realistic path, or keep pushing in the hope that I might eventually get something.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022
    I am generally feeling a bit down about the process at the moment. I am unsure whether I will pass an application review stage again. Last year was my first cycle - I applied to a small number of firms, and I had a good conversion rate of apps to ACs.
    This year, I have felt a lot better about my applications as I have sent them off - very tailored to the firm, and I feel as though I have shown myself in the best light possible. However, I have already received 5 rejections post-app.

For a bit of background, I am non-law, graduated a few years ago, and only decided on law just under a year ago having tried a few different fields.

I guess I would just like some advice. Recently, especially this last week where I have had 3 rejections, I have felt like giving up. A career as a solicitor is my dream, but I am worried it will stay as just a dream, and not become reality. I do not know whether I should rethink and choose a more realistic path, or keep pushing in the hope that I might eventually get something.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Replying to stay in the loop as I have asked something similar! I tried messaging you privately, maybe message me? Not that I have any advice, but maybe we can compare how we're going about approaching things as non-law grads

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hogan Lovells WVS PFO

That's 2/2 PFOs so far, and this is my first proper cycle. Any early words of advice, everyone?

I am determined to prove transferable skills as a wannabe career changer and think I can do that convincingly, but I find myself struggling with confidence when it comes to areas I am convinced other applicants will have me beat in, e.g. understanding of the industry, tangible evidence to answer the "why commercial law" question with, etc.

Open to any kind of advice from what I consider the pool of experts here! 😁
    It's not a matter of if you will get a TC, but when. Take a breath and critically look at where you could be falling down. You've got this. It's only your first proper cycle so don't feel disheartened. You also have the rest of the year to make applications - it's only November at the moment! I've collated a bunch of things you can think about below. Other people, please feel free to jump in with further suggestions.

Attitude and Personal Belief
    As a career changer you are amazing. You have so many skills that you can bring from your previous career forward. Also, it means that you are not making this decision lightly! You have really thought about why you want to do law. Do your best to try and cover the areas you are unsure about, but remember that most people are unsure. Nobody who is an aspiring lawyer has ever been a lawyer before, so how can they be 100% certain about whether law is right for them? You're in the same boat as a lot of people and leaning on people when you are finding things tough (as you have just done in the forum) is absolutely the right thing to be doing!

Application Strategy
    Have I got an application strategy for the firms that I am targeting?
    Why am I targeting these firms?
    Am I giving myself enough time to complete the applications?

Written Stage
    If you are struggling at the written stage, is there anyone who could look over your written application and suggest improvements?
    Are you targeting this to the firm and to yourself?
    Top tip: If you say something the firm already knows (e.g. they are sector specific), how can you tell that, and why does that specifically interest you (e.g. you have experience in sector they are experts in)?
    Have you met anyone who has given you a unique insight into the firm, or who has confirmed that the firm really is what it says it is (e.g. have they experienced a culture of collaboration?). Maybe you have met them at a law fair/event or talked to them on LinkedIn.

Networking
    Try to talk to people at the firms you want to train at. What insights can they give you about the application process?
    Could you find out about any work that current employees are doing/have done?
    Do people at the firm have a view about the culture/work life etc.?
    Could somebody help you with your personal development?

Commercial Awareness
    Is this something you are comfortable with?
    Do you understand the jargon and what it means for businesses?
    Can you relate commercial awareness concepts to news stories?
    If you are applying to firms with strengths in certain practices (e.g. M&A) do you have a fundamental understanding of those practices and the terminolgy used within them? Do you know the considerations that law firms make?
    If you are able to, I really recommend doing the TCLA Commercial Awareness courses. They are amazing.

Interviews
    Do you know what your competencies are?
    Do you have several examples of different competencies?
    Are you presenting a confident appearance?
    Is your commercial awareness up to date?
    Are you able to hold your nerve when asked difficult questions?
    Can you justify your reasons for an answer?
    Have you throroughly read through your application and anticipated difficult questions resulting from this?
    Have you practiced with a mentor/friend/recording yourself?

Group Exercises
    Are you speaking too much or blending into the background?
    Are you supporting the aims of the group?
    Are you being inclusive?

Written Work
    Is this structured?
    Have you covered the main points?
    Have you concluded?
    Is the work gramatically error-free?
    Have you chosen the right style of writing for the right audience?

This is off the top of my head and I hope it helps as a starting point. You have got this. Again, if anyone else has further ideas, please do chime in.

Good luck!

D

daisy_yawn

I have an interview coming up next week for a firm that has a 'forage virtual experience', would it be frowned upon by the firm to have not completed said experience?
    I hadn't done the Jones Day one and I got the vac scheme so don't think so! They didn't even ask about it in the interview.

• Love
    Reactions: sxw517
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.