TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022
    What do you do to find out your Hogan Lovells WG score? I got my rejection earlier today so would like to find out
    I had a dodgy internet connection the day I took mine so I emailed to check they'd received it.

They replied within a couple of days with confirmation and my score, so I'd say just email grad recruitment and ask.

Reactions: B A

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    I am generally feeling a bit down about the process at the moment. I am unsure whether I will pass an application review stage again. Last year was my first cycle - I applied to a small number of firms, and I had a good conversion rate of apps to ACs.
    This year, I have felt a lot better about my applications as I have sent them off - very tailored to the firm, and I feel as though I have shown myself in the best light possible. However, I have already received 5 rejections post-app.

For a bit of background, I am non-law, graduated a few years ago, and only decided on law just under a year ago having tried a few different fields.

I guess I would just like some advice. Recently, especially this last week where I have had 3 rejections, I have felt like giving up. A career as a solicitor is my dream, but I am worried it will stay as just a dream, and not become reality. I do not know whether I should rethink and choose a more realistic path, or keep pushing in the hope that I might eventually get something.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Hey! I wanted to respond to your message because I have also felt similar things to you. I also managed to do well post-app last year and fear that I won't get anymore ACs or even past the app stage this year (I've never had a vac scheme after 2 years of apps btw)! But we have to remember that it is still so early on in the process. I relate to you with the rejection scenario, but I've always found that after a few rejections, a storm of opportunities will flood through! It's just so early on and we are all bound to experience rejection.

If you managed to get past the app stage last year, you can do it this year! As the process goes on, we only get better in our skillset and soon enough you'll be making your way through to ACs :) It's just hard, but one day it'll be our turn to celebrate.

If you want to talk about things more, feel free to DM me :)

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Hey! I wanted to respond to your message because I have also felt similar things to you. I also managed to do well post-app last year and fear that I won't get anymore ACs or even past the app stage this year (I've never had a vac scheme after 2 years of apps btw)! But we have to remember that it is still so early on in the process. I relate to you with the rejection scenario, but I've always found that after a few rejections, a storm of opportunities will flood through! It's just so early on and we are all bound to experience rejection.

If you managed to get past the app stage last year, you can do it this year! As the process goes on, we only get better in our skillset and soon enough you'll be making your way through to ACs :) It's just hard, but one day it'll be our turn to celebrate.

If you want to talk about things more, feel free to DM me :)
    Thank you so much - will message you :)

taetae

Star Member
    Apr 12, 2021
    Hi guys, I just got invited for an AC for the HSF Winter vac scheme. This the first AC I will ever sit and I'm extremely worried. I'm not good at interviews and my mind just blanks out during interviews or I rush myself when answering questions.

Any advice/tips will be extremely helpful!

Also if anyone has already completed a HSF AC I'd be grateful if we could talk!

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    I was wondering if someone can clarify law firms' international structure?

I'm aware that if firms use a Swiss Verein structure, each office's profit pool and partnership is kept separate. e.g. Hogan Lovells, Baker McKenzie, NRF, Dentons etc

And I know some other firms have opted for a single global partnership instead (also one profit pool globally) e.g. Latham, White & Case, BCLP, Ashurst

But what model do UK firms like A&O, Freshfields, Linklaters, Clifford Chance use in their international expansion? Is it also one global partnership and one profit pool by default?

Also does anyone know after Herbert Smith and Freehills merged, did they opt for a full financial integration model like Ashurst? Or is their profit pool and partnership still kept separate?

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 28, 2021
    @Jessica Booker Has there been any answers for this? I'm in the exact same boat, went to submit my 200 word answers and now all 4 questions are asking for 500 words? Don't want to write an extra 1200 words if it's an error on the application form :/
    Is this for the Summer Vacation Scheme? If so, when I applied just a month or so ago, it was 200 words per question?

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 7, 2022
    Hi, I am preparing an answer for a question about a commercial topic that has interested you. Is it okay to talk about topical issues, I was thinking about discussing the energy crisis and its impact on energy companies, but I was unsure if this was too obvious of an answer. Is it okay to talk about popular topics if discussed well/with a different angle?

Phoebe Turner

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 16, 2020
    Hi, I am preparing an answer for a question about a commercial topic that has interested you. Is it okay to talk about topical issues, I was thinking about discussing the energy crisis and its impact on energy companies, but I was unsure if this was too obvious of an answer. Is it okay to talk about popular topics if discussed well/with a different angle?
    I was part of AS Aspire this year and they advised to focus on a smaller specific topic when you want to discuss a broader commercial topic like the energy crisis. For example instead of trying to talk about its impact on consumers as well as energy companies, your approach to talk about energy companies only is much better

Reactions: Jessica Booker

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    For Taylor Wessing’s work experience section, does anyone know if we can repeat skills for different experiences? I want to use attention to detail (as one of my three skills) for two separate jobs, and would write about different aspects of this. Thanks

Lily1234

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2022
    Feel free to drop me a message if you need help with TS, did the summer VS this year🫶🏾
    Travers WVS interview invite! Would massively appreciate any insight/hints/tips if anyone has already had experience with them this/last app cycle!
    Feel free to ask any questions! I did the summer scheme and now a future trainee there. Good luck!

Reactions: Bestkid98 and WN20
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.