TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Can someone help me understand the difference/relationship between structured finance and securitisation? Struggling to understand if they mean the same thing or not....

I.Z89

Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2021
Really sorry this is my third time asking this but was just wondering if anyone has gotten a watson glaser invite for Hogan Lovells Lift Off?

I applied one day before the deadline a week ago and I still haven't got a WG invite and not sure if it's a glitch
I emailed grad rec and they said that the WG hasn’t been sent to Lift Off applicants yet :)

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Can someone help me understand the difference/relationship between structured finance and securitisation? Struggling to understand if they mean the same thing or not....
    This might be a bit much on the topic but speaks about the relationship and notably the difference. It is written by Steven L. Schwarcz a Duke Law School professor. I didn't read all of it but it briefly states:

"Securitization—or, as it is spelled in Europe, securitisation—refers to a category of financing transactions in which companies sell rights to payment under mortgage loans, accounts receivable, lease rentals, or other types of income-producing ―financial assets‖ to a trust or other special-purpose vehicle (an ―SPV,‖ sometimes interchangeably called a special-purpose entity or SPE). The goal is to separate these assets from the risks generally associated with the company. The company then can use these assets to raise funds in the capital markets at a lower cost than if the company, with its associated risks, had borrowed the funds.
    A threshold question is how securitization and structured finance differ, since the terms are often used interchangeably. In practice, most references to structured finance mean securitization. Structured finance can refer more broadly, however, to any transaction that utilizes special-purpose vehicles. Project finance, for example—in which the construction of powerplants, toll roads, and other income-generating public-interest projects is financed from loans which are repaid from the income so generated—is a type of structured finance transaction. Although more problematic, the special-purpose-vehicle transactions engaged in by Enron are also types of structured finance transactions."

Reactions: AvniD and bibss

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Structured finance is an umbrella term covering a wide range of products, like securitisation (which itself is an umbrella term) and syndicated loans. Structured finance is used when the scale of the borrower's financial needs cannot be met by traditional methods of financing (i.e., ordinary loans and bonds). For example, the finance needed to build an infrastructure (e.g., a port) in a country is far too large and risky for a single lender to provide, so multiple lenders are involved and financing is provided through a project finance structure (see attachment).

For more on structured finance:

Attachments

• structure_projectfinancing.png
      structure_projectfinancing.png
      10.7 KB · Views: 20
    Last edited:
    Reactions: bibss

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi all, if an employer says I need to send some documents by 10th November, does that include 10th November or should I send it on 9th November?
    I would assume your employer means by the end of business day on 10 November, which will typically be 5:00pm. However, as @kokothemagicdragon said, you should send those documents in as early as you can, rather than leave it to the last minute.

Reactions: Crystal86

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 7, 2022
    I was part of AS Aspire this year and they advised to focus on a smaller specific topic when you want to discuss a broader commercial topic like the energy crisis. For example instead of trying to talk about its impact on consumers as well as energy companies, your approach to talk about energy companies only is much better
    Ah this makes sense! Thank you for the help

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    This might be a bit much on the topic but speaks about the relationship and notably the difference. It is written by Steven L. Schwarcz a Duke Law School professor. I didn't read all of it but it briefly states:

"Securitization—or, as it is spelled in Europe, securitisation—refers to a category of financing transactions in which companies sell rights to payment under mortgage loans, accounts receivable, lease rentals, or other types of income-producing ―financial assets‖ to a trust or other special-purpose vehicle (an ―SPV,‖ sometimes interchangeably called a special-purpose entity or SPE). The goal is to separate these assets from the risks generally associated with the company. The company then can use these assets to raise funds in the capital markets at a lower cost than if the company, with its associated risks, had borrowed the funds.
    A threshold question is how securitization and structured finance differ, since the terms are often used interchangeably. In practice, most references to structured finance mean securitization. Structured finance can refer more broadly, however, to any transaction that utilizes special-purpose vehicles. Project finance, for example—in which the construction of powerplants, toll roads, and other income-generating public-interest projects is financed from loans which are repaid from the income so generated—is a type of structured finance transaction. Although more problematic, the special-purpose-vehicle transactions engaged in by Enron are also types of structured finance transactions."

Structured finance is an umbrella term covering a wide range of products, like securitisation (which itself is an umbrella term) and syndicated loans. Structured finance is used when the scale of the borrower's financial needs cannot be met by traditional methods of financing (i.e., ordinary loans and bonds). For example, the finance needed to build an infrastructure (e.g., a port) in a country is far too large and risky for a single lender to provide, so multiple lenders are involved and financing is provided through a project finance structure (see attachment).

For more on structured finance:
    Thank you so much to both!

dlaw2023

Oct 25, 2022
    Hi guys, just been in a meeting with one of my professors who used to be a partner at a magic circle firm. He's beat me down quite a bit by telling me that my 64% grade average for my second year means that I won't have much success at vac scheme/ training contract applications. What are everyone else's opinions/experiences? I have just been diagnosed with ADHD going into my final year but don't know if firms will care. Feeling really down about this whole thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.