TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    For the question “Please explain why you want to pursue a career as a commercial solicitor and why you would like to practice at Dechert”, is this asking why you want a long-term career at Dechert, rather than why you want to train at Dechert? Can I include reasons why I want to train at Dechert in my answer?
    I would qualify my ambitions in general with regards to Dechert and more specifically what their training can bring you. Example: because I strive to work on complex and cross jurisdictional (INSERT PRACTICE AREA) I know that training at Dechert would have me learning and working from the best professionals in (SAID PRACTICE AREA). Furthermore, (X PART OF TRAINING) would provide me with the skills to excel...

jess_does_law

Jan 10, 2022
    Hi - hope everyone is well! Was wondering if anyone had heard back from these firms yet RE *Open Days*? And if so, which ones and when? Or if you have any information about when we're likely to hear back.
    - White & Case
    - Kirkland & Ellis
    - Cooley
    - Dechert
    - Latham & Watkins
    Hi - I heard back from White & Case about their 14th Nov open day earlier this week. I know they have another one later in the month so might not have emailed out about that yet :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For anyone who has submitted the Mayer Brown application have you received a link to the test yet and if you have then how many days after submitting it did you receive the test. Thank you in advance.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I would qualify my ambitions in general with regards to Dechert and more specifically what their training can bring you. Example: because I strive to work on complex and cross jurisdictional (INSERT PRACTICE AREA) I know that training at Dechert would have me learning and working from the best professionals in (SAID PRACTICE AREA). Furthermore, (X PART OF TRAINING) would provide me with the skills to excel...
    That's really helpful - thank you!

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi guys,
    On the Willkie Farr application form, candidates are asked to "tell us about your achievements and positions of responsibility". The word limit for this question is 500 words - do you think candidates are expected to write this much (or, at least, near the word limit) - do you reckon it would disadvantage (or, on the other hand, possibly advantage) candidates to write something slightly shorter (in the region of, say, 300 words)?

@Jessica Booker

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Is there any point sending an application to Taylor Wessing summer VS? this week? the deadline is 1.12
    I'm no expert, but they've got a Cambridge open evening and online open day running next week, so I don't see why not! Would be strange to have events like that if there was no point applying anymore.

Reactions: sibs23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,
    On the Willkie Farr application form, candidates are asked to "tell us about your achievements and positions of responsibility". The word limit for this question is 500 words - do you think candidates are expected to write this much (or, at least, near the word limit) - do you reckon it would disadvantage (or, on the other hand, possibly advantage) candidates to write something slightly shorter (in the region of, say, 300 words)?

@Jessica Booker
    I would try to utilise at least 75% of the word count.

You can always use examples from your time at school/college/sixth form too - it doesn’t just have to be your achievements from the last year or time at university.

Reactions: AvniD and pfoapplicant

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    So I got the invite for simmons tests on the 3rd november and it said that I have 10 calendar days from tomorrow (4th november) to complete it. Does that mean I can complete it tomorrow? Just dont want to have to rush to complete it now as something has popped up and will be busy tonight now.

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    Yes, you can put future roles you have accepted in your application. You can't really describe them, and therefore it might not be appropriate to put them in work experience sections (often these stop you from putting in future dates anyway), so referencing future schemes in either motivational questions or extra information sections could be done instead.
    @Jessica Booker thanks for this. To go a step further, does this help with the application?

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 7, 2022
    Hi, I'm just wondering for the allen & overy question, 'Please identify an existing market development or future trend that will likely affect A&O clients and describe how this could provide the Firm with new opportunities to support its clients,' as I am applying for a UK VS, is it necessary to mention a development or trend that is occurring in the UK? And, can this development be the introduction of new legislation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I'm just wondering for the allen & overy question, 'Please identify an existing market development or future trend that will likely affect A&O clients and describe how this could provide the Firm with new opportunities to support its clients,' as I am applying for a UK VS, is it necessary to mention a development or trend that is occurring in the UK? And, can this development be the introduction of new legislation?
    I don’t think it needs to be something that is only happening in the U.K., but should be something that the firm’s U.K. lawyers would be interested in where it impacts their work/their clients/their business.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.