Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have a list of rolling vac schemes? Would be really helpful if someone had the info so we can prioritise applications
This thread might be helpful:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would a WVS firm let me extend singing a training contract to do a VS in Spring? Would rather accept a TC from the SVS firm, but don't want to ask the WVS firm to swap to summer if it is something they would let me do. The SVS firm would not let me do a 'fast track' TC interview if I couldn't extend signing. Am final year Non-Law if that is a consideration
Possibly - but they have a right to decline this extension at the same time. They need to try and fill their roles.

Unless there is something in your summer VS offer document to say you can’t do this, you could potentially accept and then renege the earlier TC offer if they didn’t extend the offer period to you.

ms167bs

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Nov 17, 2021
Possibly - but they have a right to decline this extension at the same time. They need to try and fill their roles.

Unless there is something in your summer VS offer document to say you can’t do this, you could potentially accept and then renege the earlier TC offer if they didn’t extend the offer period to you.
Yeah my Spring VS offer says I can't accept a TC before starting, I may be safer to just ask to swap to summer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah my Spring VS offer says I can't accept a TC before starting, I may be safer to just ask to swap to summer
I'd speak to the WVS firm first or explain that is why you would want to move to summer (they could say no to that too though - especially if they think there is a risk of you reneging your summer scheme or if they feel they might waste a spot on you).

Reactions: ms167bs

ms167bs

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Nov 17, 2021
I'd speak to the WVS firm first or explain that is why you would want to move to summer (they could say no to that too though - especially if they think there is a risk of you reneging your summer scheme or if they feel they might waste a spot on you).
I think I'll speak to them tomorrow to see if this is something they usually do - thanks!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    Just got a PFO for White and Case open day 14 November. I remember selecting the 22 November one as a second choice though. Is it probably a PFO for the second open day as well? Has anyone heard back about the second open day?
    Oh I'm not sure - perhaps email to ask? I haven't heard back regarding either (I can't remember which I put as my first choice), so maybe thinking it might be a PFO for me? Has anyone else heard back about either?

HLL

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 26, 2021
    Oh I'm not sure - perhaps email to ask? I haven't heard back regarding either (I can't remember which I put as my first choice), so maybe thinking it might be a PFO for me? Has anyone else heard back about either?
    An earlier thread said they got accepted for the first open day some time earlier this week. If you haven't heard back about either it's probs not a bad news. Fingers crossed

Reactions: lik0401
    S

selfcarequeenzzz1

Hi - anyone got any advice on applying to WFW? I am stuck on this question.

'You are a trainee solicitor, working in the office and it is 6.30pm. You have an important personal appointment at 7pm. You are updating a document ready for a client meeting which will take place at 10am the next day. As this is a new client it is important that the firm impresses them and accuracy is key. You are waiting on some information from a third party before you can finalise the document. You have also received several emails from other fee-earners in the department asking you to help them on some urgent tasks. Your supervisor is working from home. What do you do?'

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My phone is not receiving calls at the moment - is it worth telling the firm im waiting to hear back from or do you think they will email if they can't get through to me on the phone?
    They will email if they cannot call you, but if you can access your voicemail you may want to change it to say that you cannot accept calls.

Reactions: justhangingout

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi - anyone got any advice on applying to WFW? I am stuck on this question.

'You are a trainee solicitor, working in the office and it is 6.30pm. You have an important personal appointment at 7pm. You are updating a document ready for a client meeting which will take place at 10am the next day. As this is a new client it is important that the firm impresses them and accuracy is key. You are waiting on some information from a third party before you can finalise the document. You have also received several emails from other fee-earners in the department asking you to help them on some urgent tasks. Your supervisor is working from home. What do you do?'

What are your initial thoughts?

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    I don’t think it necessarily “helps” but is good evidence to show - it’s shows you are a competitive candidate by securing a VS and also shows you are actively pursuing the career.
    Thanks for this. One thought came to mind: would it be appropriate to put the Summer VS in work experience, and simply say "I've accepted a SVS with X firm, commencing Date A to Date B." This way, I am not describing any work I would be doing, it is simply based on the fact I have accepted the VS as an incoming student?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.