TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Have you checked your online portal and your spam?
    I got the invite to the GBA straight away after applying. I am pretty sure it is automated.
    They give you 2 weeks to complete it.

If you dont find the link on your portal or the e-mail with the link, I suggest you contact them.
    Thank you very much for this.

I have not received anything so sent them an email.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Is it still worth applying to Addleshaw Goddard for a VS, given they seem to recruit on a rolling basis, or should I save my application for a direct TC? (nb. I have not started my application yet, as I have only recently discovered the firm, but they seem to fit what I am looking for very well!)

Reactions: hanz123

EVjuji

Valued Member
    Nov 29, 2019
    Is it still worth applying to Addleshaw Goddard for a VS, given they seem to recruit on a rolling basis, or should I save my application for a direct TC? (nb. I have not started my application yet, as I have only recently discovered the firm, but they seem to fit what I am looking for very well!)
    Yes! Please do apply

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you happen to know what the application questions are? Thanks :)
    Each question is 2000 characters with spaces.

How do you feel your skills and attributes would suit a legal career at AG?

What makes AG stand out from other commercial law firms?

Tell us about a recent business deal in the press that has captured your interest? How might this impact AG and our clients?

Given the Government’s commitment to be Net Zero by 2050, please provide three suggestions on how commercial law firms like AG can support and contributes towards this goal?

Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, just wondering what getting the 19th percentile for a watson glaser test score is considered? My understanding is that it is pretty bad
    I have known firms to have a lower benchmark than this - lowest I have heard/seen is the 17th percentile

A percentile doesn't necessarily explain a lot, unfortunately. All it says is how you compare against the norm group you have been assessed against. But this norm group could be anything from the general population through to partners within the firm - so if you were assessed again the latter, I would expect your percentile ranking to be lower than if you were assessed against the former.

Normally I would say that a pass mark for a WG percentile ranking is usually between the 30th and 65th percentile though.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cyberjaz1116 and Adrian_S

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Each question is 2000 characters with spaces.

How do you feel your skills and attributes would suit a legal career at AG?

What makes AG stand out from other commercial law firms?

Tell us about a recent business deal in the press that has captured your interest? How might this impact AG and our clients?

Given the Government’s commitment to be Net Zero by 2050, please provide three suggestions on how commercial law firms like AG can support and contributes towards this goal?

Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?
    Thank you so much!

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Hi, just wondering what getting the 19th percentile for a watson glaser test score is considered? My understanding is that it is pretty bad
    It really depends on the firm and the norm group they score you against - see Jess' post here.

Normally, firms have a percentile threshold (which they usually don't disclose). Some firms might factor in your WG score alongside your application; others simply require you to meet that threshold in order for them to read your application, but don't otherwise consider the score.

However - your best bet is to ask the firm in question how they use the WG to assess you. Be mindful that they may not be able to give you more detail, especially where your application is reviewed holistically - each factor can be weighed differently/case-by-case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.