TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Not received any interview offers yet, should I be concerned?
I haven’t either, so I hope not! When I applied last year, I received my first AC invite at the beginning of January, and then received one in late January and one in early March.
Many firms have multiple stages between initial application and final interview/AC, and it doesn't seem uncommon to have a few weeks/months between stages.

(Edit: For a reference point, both of the January invites were for applications that I sent in November :) )

Reactions: MG1996

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
In a video interview when you have 1 minute to answer for why this firm should you only include 1 point or can you discuss 2 points.

i would discuss 2 - and practice doing so beforehand. really work on cutting out the fluff during your practice (as Chloe once told me) and i think you’ll be golden.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Hi I’m just really after some advice.

I really feel at a loss with what I’m doing wrong with my applications. I’ve sent out about 7 applications, starting with winter vacation schemes a few months ago and now some summer, but I have been rejected from everything. I cannot get past the application stage. I passed the benchmark for HSF, and I got invited to Gowling’s online test, so I passed the written portion - just to then just get rejected by both with no indication as to why. I have a first-class from a Russel group, and although I’m non-law I secured a role in a law firm so I also have law experience. I was on committees and sports teams at university and have had transferable work experience for like 7 years now. I attended webinars from the firms and the open days that I can.
I’d hope I’d come across quite well on paper, but it seems not.

I know it’s a super long process but I’m worried I’m going to exhaust all my efforts this year and not even get out of the application stages. Does anyone have tips on getting out of the application stage or similar stories to share? Just feeling defeated after another rejection
I felt very similar to this, just a couple of weeks ago. I received some feedback on my ‘why law’ answer, worked on this, and improved it. I have since made it through 2 application review stages, and have not yet received another rejection (having received ~10 post-app before this advice). If you have any friends who have offers/are trainees etc, ask them for advice if you can. If not, people on this website are amazing - asking for someone to review an answer and give brutal + honest feedback is very helpful. For me, it was ‘why law’, but for you, it could be another type of question, for example, a hobbies question, or a commercial awareness question. There are lots of future trainees/trainees on here, and they would not still be hanging around to help if they did not want to help!

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
How long does it take to receive the NRF arctic shores feedback report? I completed mine an hour ago and haven't received anything, whereas others have mentioned receiving it instantly.

N_16

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 11, 2022
Does anyone know if Davis Polk & Wardwell accept applications from non-law students? On their website it says 'We will be accepting applications for our summer 2023 vacation scheme from penultimate-year law undergraduates and law postgraduates' - I just thought it was slightly unusual as most firms also specify non-law so just wondered if anyone knew more about this? Thanks!

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
Does anyone know if Davis Polk & Wardwell accept applications from non-law students? On their website it says 'We will be accepting applications for our summer 2023 vacation scheme from penultimate-year law undergraduates and law postgraduates' - I just thought it was slightly unusual as most firms also specify non-law so just wondered if anyone knew more about this? Thanks!
They don't accept applications from non-law students. This was confirmed to me by grad rec.

Reactions: cyberjaz1116 and Adrian_S
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.