TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

readylawyer1

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 16, 2021
For the K&E application, I wanted to write the question on a recent news story on something that relates to antitrust/competition law, however, I am conscious that the firm's focus is PE and previous successful applications I read have focused their news story on something PE-related. Antitrust is an area I am really interested in so I would be really happy with being asked about this in an interview. Am I putting myself at a disadvantage by writing about antitrust?

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Hi I’m just really after some advice.

I really feel at a loss with what I’m doing wrong with my applications. I’ve sent out about 7 applications, starting with winter vacation schemes a few months ago and now some summer, but I have been rejected from everything. I cannot get past the application stage. I passed the benchmark for HSF, and I got invited to Gowling’s online test, so I passed the written portion - just to then just get rejected by both with no indication as to why. I have a first-class from a Russel group, and although I’m non-law I secured a role in a law firm so I also have law experience. I was on committees and sports teams at university and have had transferable work experience for like 7 years now. I attended webinars from the firms and the open days that I can.
    I’d hope I’d come across quite well on paper, but it seems not.

I know it’s a super long process but I’m worried I’m going to exhaust all my efforts this year and not even get out of the application stages. Does anyone have tips on getting out of the application stage or similar stories to share? Just feeling defeated after another rejection
    Ahh honestly wanted to write the same thing. For me I feel like I’ve done better my first cycle last year than now, which is really frustrating me, especially as I’m writing about my new experiences and trying to better my answers but it feels like it’s not enough. It’s especially exhausting since each application takes me so much time. Even with open days I got a lot of rejections. Can’t say I’ve got much advice, but just wanted to say we that I relate to you and we both got this 💪

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022
    Ahh honestly wanted to write the same thing. For me I feel like I’ve done better my first cycle last year than now, which is really frustrating me, especially as I’m writing about my new experiences and trying to better my answers but it feels like it’s not enough. It’s especially exhausting since each application takes me so much time. Even with open days I got a lot of rejections. Can’t say I’ve got much advice, but just wanted to say we that I relate to you and we both got this 💪
    If you don't mind me asking, how many applications have you submitted this year? I hope you'll all receive some good news soon 🙏

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Is anyone else feeling extremely de-motivated after being rejected by every firm so far... I don't know what I'm doing wrong and just feel really broken..

I think many of us know this feeling all too well. After a somewhat mediocre first application cycle, I realised that it's important to find people who can offer encouragement and motivation. I've made good friends on this forum who've helped me pick myself up and dust myself off (instead of simply feeling insecure about my abilities). If I can help or offer any support, send me a DM. Let's chat and see how we can strategise for future apps :)

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Hi, is it advisable to apply for a vac scheme for a particular firm even though I have not attended any event with that particular firm? Thanks in advance

Yes! Absolutely! There were firms that I didn't get to meet in any significant way during legal fairs or events, but who I nevertheless researched thoroughly before applying. That research really came out in my written applications and got me through to the next stage. If you can show that you've researched the firm and convincingly demonstrate your interest in them, it's worth applying!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.