TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Also, is anyone applying for Kirkland and Ellis? I think the firm seems amazing but I feel like my soul will genuinely be crushed if I do their 1600 word application and get rejected. 1600 is a lot for just one firm :(
Not personally applying, but my thought is that you should apply; if you genuinely really like the firm, that will shine through in your application. Also, 1600 is not crazy - I’ve written longer word counts, been rejected last year, and then got through this year for the same firm (with different questions equating to nearly 2000). I think that researching the firms takes the most time, so if you’ve done that, bash out some answers, then refine them each day/each week (depending on when the deadline is), then send it! The only reason I’d say maybe don’t apply is if the deadline is super soon, and you have more applications to complete that might be significantly easier (eg. more thoroughly researched, or already mostly written). Best of luck :)

pb15

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2021
I made such a mess of a VI I did for a Spring VC. I don't know why, I know that I prepared to the best of my ability, but when it started I just froze. It was like I just couldn't speak clearly. I didn't answer the questions correctly and I know I am getting rejected. I just don't know what to do now. Like I know how to prepare and I can do telephone interviews and other assessments, I have had plenty practice with VIs I just can't hack them :( I just feel stuck and am not sure what to do now
Ive definitely been in the same boat before, but what really has helped me is speaking to my photo booth on my laptop, or even just recording myself on my phone/ipad. you can watch them back and see how slow/fast you talk, if youre saying 'um' too much, etc. hopefully thats helpful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone,
I d like to seek clarification when answering the question “why this law firm?”. After attending a few events with some law firms, most say that we should show that we have researched the firm well enough.
When I approach the question “why this Law firm”, i tend to focus on a practice area i enjoy and state why i enjoy it. I also mention i am drawn to the law firm because of its training and i state why. But i feel when i mention the practice area or training aspect, it does not show that i have researched the firm well enough since these are points that can be found perhaps on their website or legal 500 or legal cheek even. Is there any advice on how i can show i have researched the firm well enough when approaching the “why this Law firm” question? Thanks a lot i appreciate it. if @Jessica Booker can add on some insights, i d also appreciate this very much. Thanks in advance!
That is sufficient research - you don’t have to come up with something unique or obscure. I would expect most research to be accessible to everyone. The individuality and impact comes from when you explain why that research is relevant to you.

Reactions: Momo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For the work experience section, an app asks "Please list your most recent employment history". How far back should I go when it says "most recent"? I have voluntary work experience back to 2013, and I usually go this far back. TIA. @Jessica Booker
If there is an unlimited amount of entries you can go this far back if you would like to.

• ℹ️
Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123
D

daisy_yawn

Also, is anyone applying for Kirkland and Ellis? I think the firm seems amazing but I feel like my soul will genuinely be crushed if I do their 1600 word application and get rejected. 1600 is a lot for just one firm :(
Cooley's is 1500 too :') if you like the firm, apply! Unless it's eating into time that you could be spending on a different application / studies / something more important, I'd say go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.