TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Your Masters grade is impressive but unlikely to make up for a low 2:1 at your undergrad as it is not a minimum requirement for firms, which is why you have to make sure that you're being super transparent about your mitigating circumstances, even if it may make you uncomfortable to share them. It's an important piece of context without which the true picture of your academic record will be unascertainable and firms may reject you on this basis.
Hi Avni, do you mind if I DM you? I'd appreciate being able to discuss this away from the forum if possible.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
the timer on my RS VI was quite low on the screen and so because I didn't want to look down too often/look like I was reading, I mistimed a few questions very slightly and it cut me off literally a word or two before the end of my answer... there were 9 and this happened on roughly 3. Does this often lead to automatic disqualification? I hope my tone indicated I was rounding off and I finished most answers in time and feel all were reasonably strong and structured. how common is this? Ive never run out of time before in VI questions always finished within 5-10 seconds of the cut off! @AvniD @Jessica Booker and anyone else with insight please help! thank you 🙏
Very hard to say how firms will perceive this but if you're saying that you were rounding you answers off anyway, I feel like it should be okay. I completed one of my answers super early and just stared at the camera for like 15 seconds or so because I had NO IDEA what else to do and still got through so there's hope, trust me 😅

Reactions: LawEnthus and Uvaia

jennycarter1

Standard Member
Premium Member
Apr 9, 2022
Any chance that Latham is still sending out VI invites at this stage or should I expect PFO for spring?
How long was it between the first VI batch and the second? This may give me slight hope lol
I think they already had two VI batches no? I'm also still waiting on it and have my hopes up but am pretty sure that it's going to be a PFO :(((

therealellewoods

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 20, 2022
    Hm that's what I was thinking. I was rejected from Sidley, and I accepted that it was because of this. (I also didn't explain my zero, oops!)

But for places like Latham, White & Case, and Skadden, I was hoping to at least be considered (and I did explain my zero to them, as well as a few other dodgy modules). Maybe my application wasn't strong enough in other ways, but imo they've been my strongest in terms of the written questions.

Does anyone know if sending in evidence from my college nurse would help my case, regarding the mitigating circumstances? Or if firms generally accept what is written in the mitigating circumstances box as gospel.
    Hi, I thought I’d just give my insight on this.
    I averaged around 65% in my undergrad and 64% in first year and got a VS with Sidley and have been given interviews with other US firms so definitley don’t let your grades discourage you. You don’t need a 1st or even necessarily a high 2.1.

In terms the masters - I can’t speak for all US firms but I attended a Shearman & Sterling talk where grad rec said they don’t really consider masters etc ie it won’t make someone more competitive because (not word for word) but it would basixally be unfair. Masters are expensive and not everyone can afford to do them (I couldn’t have afforded to do one even as an alum at my own uni). So it would I suppose be a bit elitist to compare a 2.1 and a 1st masters with just a 2.1 as it potentially gives more leeway to people with better financial circumstances.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Hi, I thought I’d just give my insight on this.
    I averaged around 65% in my undergrad and 64% in first year and got a VS with Sidley and have been given interviews with other US firms so definitley don’t let your grades discourage you. You don’t need a 1st or even necessarily a high 2.1.

In terms the masters - I can’t speak for all US firms but I attended a Shearman & Sterling talk where grad rec said they don’t really consider masters etc ie it won’t make someone more competitive because (not word for word) but it would basixally be unfair. Masters are expensive and not everyone can afford to do them (I couldn’t have afforded to do one even as an alum at my own uni). So it would I suppose be a bit elitist to compare a 2.1 and a 1st masters with just a 2.1 as it potentially gives more leeway to people with better financial circumstances.
    Thank you so much for your insight! Regarding the masters, it was integrated with my undergraduate degree, but it was stand-alone in that it was all I did during my 4th year (and received a separate grade for the year). I'm essentially trying to explain that I did very well at GCSE and A-level, had a blip during my undergraduate finals due to a few separate mitigating circumstances, but then came back strongly with my masters grade. And also, it was all funded by student finance etc (also why I have not been able to complete the PGDL!).

If you don't mind my asking, which US firms have you managed to secure interviews with? Thank you!

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 3, 2022
    Hm that's what I was thinking. I was rejected from Sidley, and I accepted that it was because of this. (I also didn't explain my zero, oops!)

But for places like Latham, White & Case, and Skadden, I was hoping to at least be considered (and I did explain my zero to them, as well as a few other dodgy modules). Maybe my application wasn't strong enough in other ways, but imo they've been my strongest in terms of the written questions.

Does anyone know if sending in evidence from my college nurse would help my case, regarding the mitigating circumstances? Or if firms generally accept what is written in the mitigating circumstances box as gospel.

I can drop my two cents for W&C- I got a mid 2:2 in my first year, a low 2:1 in my second year and a high 2:1 in my final year and I managed to secure a vac scheme w W&C. I definitely think they're one of the firms that don't care (as much) about grades- they were a lot more interested in my side hobbies and hustles and didn't seem to blink at my grades!

Additionally, I actually do feel like my masters in which I received a 1st helped too, if not just to demonstrate my understanding (now) of law in areas important/ significant to the firms! Then you can drop your masters grades into interviews etc (where relevant). I think so much about it is just selling all of those points that differentiate you!

Potentially it could be the application? I took inspiration from a cover letter that had secured a vac scheme previously and that made all the difference in getting me further in the process, it appears that their application can be quite formulaic and sometimes you just need pointers on what kind of formula firms want :).

*speaking just of my own experience* !

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Does Mayer Brown ever release test results? How do we know how we’ve done in the first round? That situational strengths part was quite challenging! Anybody know how long they take to get back after tests too?

lawstudent22

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2022
    Does Mayer Brown ever release test results? How do we know how we’ve done in the first round? That situational strengths part was quite challenging! Anybody know how long they take to get back after tests too?

I completed the tests on December 15th and got a report on December 17th with my top three strengths and telling me how I performed in the verbal reasoning test. Haven't heard anything since though!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.