TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison.jm

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2022
Last year I received their WG on the date that they stated as 'the final date you'd hear from us by', at like 9pm. They read every application very carefully, so I wouldn't expect a response before their stated date (assuming that hasn't passed yet).
they also cut quite a few jobs due to macro events so their trainee programme will be under close scrutiny I guess

Shi

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I made 11 applications this cycle and only 3 haven't rejected me yet. I will apply for another few direct TCs but I think I should consider planning for next year.

I am a final-year Law student in Lancaster and due to spending the majority of my studies remotely, I may not qualify for a graduate visa. Also, my scores are low 2:1 with mitigating circumstances. I think my options are to do a LLM or LPC.

Which one do you think will improve my prospects of getting a TC? I got an LLM offer from Bristol, should I get a master's while hoping I can secure a TC so that a law firm will fund my LPC/SQE?

For LPC, I think the advantage is that, if I can't get a TC in the next cycle as well, I can get a paralegal role. Lots of firms do require an LPC for paralegals.

@Jessica Booker @AvniD Grateful for your input on this!

• 🤝
Reactions: cyberjaz1116

owenjones99

Oct 2, 2022
I made 11 applications this cycle and only 3 haven't rejected me yet. I will apply for another few direct TCs but I think I should consider planning for next year.

I am a final-year Law student in Lancaster and due to spending the majority of my studies remotely, I may not qualify for a graduate visa. Also, my scores are low 2:1 with mitigating circumstances. I think my options are to do a LLM or LPC.

Which one do you think will improve my prospects of getting a TC? I got an LLM offer from Bristol, should I get a master's while hoping I can secure a TC so that a law firm will fund my LPC/SQE?

For LPC, I think the advantage is that, if I can't get a TC in the next cycle as well, I can get a paralegal role. Lots of firms do require an LPC for paralegals.

@Jessica Booker @AvniD Grateful for your input on this!
You will also have to consider that the majority of law firms now require future trainees (2024 onwards) to sit the SQE. If you do the LPC this year and then obtain a TC for 2025, you may also be required by the firm to sit the SQE2.

peterlaw

Jan 5, 2023
Can I ask when you applied to Mills & Reeve and when you did the test? Also expecting PFO but haven't heard anything :(
we were only supposed to hear back from this week, so it would suggest the opposite to me if you have not recieved a rejection. 'As our application deadline is not until 4 January 2023, you will next hear from us during week commencing 16 January 2023, when we will be in a position to let you know if you have met the shortlist for our in person assessment centres. These are planned to be taking place during weeks commencing 13 and 20 February 2023.'

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Does anyone have any feedback regarding the best premium courses to take? I have two weeks left on my free month of membership, and I'd love to make the most of it but also don't have tonnes of time. TIA :)
    Can't recommend "Developing your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More" enough! I've never found such a comprehensive guide to commercial concepts and they really helped me at the latter stages of applications this year (ACs and interviews).

It depends on what you need help with though. The Watson Glaser course is the best one I've ever done and really helped me improve my scores, but there is not much point taking it if you already get high scores in it.

If you are applying to firms which are strong in PE, the "Private Equity for Commercial Law" course is incredibly helpful and gives a deeper insight into PE work.

If you are applying to a firm with strengths in M&A, I recomment the "Mergers & Acquisitions for Commercial Law" course.

If you have any upcoming Case Study interviews/written tasks, I highly recommend "Practise Technical Law Firm Case Studies". This course even has a few additional case studies you could work on at the end.

The other courses are all excellent, but with only a limited amount of time, these are the courses I would focus on depending on your needs.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Can't recommend "Developing your Commercial Awareness: Understand the City, the Financial Markets & More" enough! I've never found such a comprehensive guide to commercial concepts and they really helped me at the latter stages of applications this year (ACs and interviews).

It depends on what you need help with though. The Watson Glaser course is the best one I've ever done and really helped me improve my scores, but there is not much point taking it if you already get high scores in it.

If you are applying to firms which are strong in PE, the "Private Equity for Commercial Law" course is incredibly helpful and gives a deeper insight into PE work.

If you are applying to a firm with strengths in M&A, I recomment the "Mergers & Acquisitions for Commercial Law" course.

If you have any upcoming Case Study interviews/written tasks, I highly recommend "Practise Technical Law Firm Case Studies". This course even has a few additional case studies you could work on at the end.

The other courses are all excellent, but with only a limited amount of time, these are the courses I would focus on depending on your needs.
    Amazing, thank you so much!

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Were there only two questions in the Bristows VI this time? Panicking a bit that I may have pressed the wrong button.

Other people in the forum also only had 2 questions for the Bristows VI, so I don't think you've done anything wrong. Congrats on getting to VI stage!
    Can confirm it was just two questions :)

Reactions: F99 and littlecat

solba

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 23, 2022
    Reactions: BonanzaBih_

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey guys, I'm filling in some application (not for a law firm) and the question is : ' please explain how you will manage your time with your studies and other commitments if you were successful in securing a place '
    What am I supposed to say in this? I know I have good time management skills but I can't write an answer on it.. I think saying something like 'i create a schedule and allot time to everything during the day' just seems too superficial and speculative?

Any advice please?
    You're on the right track! Think about how you will balance competing priorities and what system you will have in place to ensure that all your commitments are met (having a daily, weekly and monthly schedule/planner, for instance). Also, highlight communication with your supervisors as being essential to your ability to manage time.

Reactions: Bubbles
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.