TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

corplaw578

Hello - I just got an offer for a vac scheme!! Extremely thrilled about it.

Do you think it would be worthwhile highlighting this to the other firms I have applied to? For context I’ve only applied to US firms. Would they view it positively? For one of the firms they use vantage so you can’t add this as an update but would have to liaise with Grad rec!
Thank you so much!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hello - I just got an offer for a vac scheme!! Extremely thrilled about it.

Do you think it would be worthwhile highlighting this to the other firms I have applied to? For context I’ve only applied to US firms. Would they view it positively? For one of the firms they use vantage so you can’t add this as an update but would have to liaise with Grad rec!
Thank you so much!

I've done so for a few of applications, and it didn't seem to hurt. @Jessica Booker has often said that, even if you don't list it in your work experience section, you can always highlight that you will be participating in the scheme in your written answers to questions or cover statement. Hope it helps you get through with other firms :)

• 🤝
Reactions: corplaw578

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Could someone please pm me if you have any advice? I experienced a LOT of ageism on a vac scheme I did recently including at one point people going around the table asking us to say our age out loud and at another two points someone asking me my age. It made me feel super uncomfortable even though I’m still early 20s and the firm ended up only giving offers to ‘safer’ very very noticeably younger candidates. I am worried that it’s too late for me to be a trainee. I know others on here have posted about still pushing through despite being in late 20s /30s but how much of a battle is it? How do I find out before getting myself in these situations which firms truly do not discriminate? There were AMAZING candidates at the scheme and in my eyes they performed way better than the younger (not aggressive or louder, just more mature and more dedicated to start working) and they didn’t get offers :(

Additionally, not a single offer was made to any candidates with aspire/rare/other social mobility schemes. I heard that law firms fill up vac schemes with diverse candidates then do not bother with TC offers. I’m upset because I’ve put that I’m with Aspire on most of my applications and now I am worried I won’t be taken seriously as a candidate.
Personally I don’t think my age made it any more of a battle than it already is! For context I was 28 when I received my TC offers last summer following two VSs. I was not the only person that age on the schemes and other trainees were that age or older! There is a real misconception that everyone that gets a TC is a second year law student. They aren’t.

I’m also what one would consider socially mobile having grown up on a council estate, lived in a homeless hostel from 16-18 and the first generation of my family to go to university. I’m also chronically ill/disabled. It is possible. Yes it is hard but it’s hard for everyone, well most people, there is the rare person that does one app and gets an offer.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Could someone please pm me if you have any advice? I experienced a LOT of ageism on a vac scheme I did recently including at one point people going around the table asking us to say our age out loud and at another two points someone asking me my age. It made me feel super uncomfortable even though I’m still early 20s and the firm ended up only giving offers to ‘safer’ very very noticeably younger candidates. I am worried that it’s too late for me to be a trainee. I know others on here have posted about still pushing through despite being in late 20s /30s but how much of a battle is it? How do I find out before getting myself in these situations which firms truly do not discriminate? There were AMAZING candidates at the scheme and in my eyes they performed way better than the younger (not aggressive or louder, just more mature and more dedicated to start working) and they didn’t get offers :(

Additionally, not a single offer was made to any candidates with aspire/rare/other social mobility schemes. I heard that law firms fill up vac schemes with diverse candidates then do not bother with TC offers. I’m upset because I’ve put that I’m with Aspire on most of my applications and now I am worried I won’t be taken seriously as a candidate.

No, it's definitely not too late! Please don't let this experience get in your way of applying to other firms. First, I suspect that you're still much younger than the average trainee (for context, the average NQ age for males is 30.1 and the average age for females is 29.4 (and remember, these are *averages*)). Second, as someone in my 30s who is friends with trainees in their 30s and 40s, it's very much possible to get a TC (yes, even at your dream firm). Finally, law firms recognise that people who've worked in non-law fields can bring extremely valuable insights and experiences to their training contracts.

Ultimately, don't self-select yourself out of this process

200w.gif

Last edited:

Sachin Chandra

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2020
No, it's definitely not too late! Please don't let this experience get in your way of applying to other firms. First, I suspect that you're still much younger than the average trainee (for context, the average NQ age for males is 30.1 and the average age for females is 29.4 (and remember, these are *averages*)). Second, as someone in my 30s who is friends with trainees in their 30s and 40s, it's very much possible to get a TC (yes, even at your dream firm). Finally, law firms recognise that people who've worked in non-law fields can bring extremely valuable insights and experiences to their training contracts.

Ultimately, don't self-select yourself out of this process

View attachment 4680
I completely agree. I've read that once you get into a firm then age doesn't matter, and it doesn't even matter to get in. If you think about it the corporate law ladder goes: trainee > associate > senior associate/counsel > partner.

There are 30 year old partners who will then hold that position until, lets say 70 years old. There will be 30 year old trainees that make partnership at 40 years old. There isn't a huge amount of diversity in the job rankings so it just doesn't matter about age. It's about you, your brand, your self-belief and confidence in your ability, as well as being a good guy/girl

yasmars

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021

I’m really intrigued to know which firm this is so I can avoid applying there.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021

Spill the firm's name...

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
    Jan 15, 2023
    I completely agree. I've read that once you get into a firm then age doesn't matter, and it doesn't even matter to get in. If you think about it the corporate law ladder goes: trainee > associate > senior associate/counsel > partner.

There are 30 year old partners who will then hold that position until, lets say 70 years old. There will be 30 year old trainees that make partnership at 40 years old. There isn't a huge amount of diversity in the job rankings so it just doesn't matter about age. It's about you, your brand, your self-belief and confidence in your ability, as well as being a good guy/girl
    That’s a relief as I’m practically an OAP as far as this process goes 🙊 I’d be 36 when I started my TC so if age matters I may as well climb in to my coffin now 🤣

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Hi all ! I have a full-time job and waiting for my VI outcome from Bakers. They said that all ACs will be held the end of January, which is too close. If I get an invitation, I need to ask for permission from my current job, but this should be in advance.
    I know that people started receiving their outcomes already, but my question is: Can I send an email to GR to double check with if I am getting an AC invitation or not ?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I don’t want to come across as if I am dismissing your experience - you clearly haven’t had a good experience with this firm.

However, on both the age piece and the diversity programme piece, I have only experienced the complete opposite. I really do think you have just had a bad experience and that this will not be reflected in the vast majority of other firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.