TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
hey guys! does anyone have any insight whatsoever into how many people Slaugghters interviews for their summer vac schemes and what percentage are successful in securing a place?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey guys! does anyone have any insight whatsoever into how many people Slaugghters interviews for their summer vac schemes and what percentage are successful in securing a place?
I'd encourage people not to fixate on these details.

Ultimately the firm could have a bad run of interviewees and either offer fewer people or interview more people to get to the hiring numbers they need. Both of these aspects would mean the numbers are quite different from one another. It also doesn't factor in people no-showing for interviews, declining or reneging on the offer.

For several vacation schemes I managed, I would aim for 20 vacation students per scheme, but sometimes it was only 17 and sometimes it was up to 24. That's a 39% difference which would really impact the ratios if we did want to fixate on the specifics of the interview to offer numbers.

I would create about three times the amount of interview slots to vacancies plus have a slight contingency built in, but I rarely filled all the interview slots due to people's availability, last-minute cancellations and no-shows. If I had a good run of interviewing, I often didn't fill the contingency interview slots where they were not needed. I also had about 15% of people decline/renege the offer where they accepted other roles. No-shows even happen on vacation schemes too (I have had several despite them being on-boarded as an employee).

But I would never say that anyone had a 1 in 3 chance of being successful at securing a VS. It really doesn't work like that. Your chances are determined by how you perform, not by how many people are being interviewed.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022

Ultimately the firm could have a bad run of interviewees and either offer fewer people or interview more people to get to the hiring numbers they need. Both of these aspects would mean the numbers are quite different from one another. It also doesn't factor in people no-showing for interviews, declining or reneging on the offer.

For several vacation schemes I managed, I would aim for 20 vacation students per scheme, but sometimes it was only 17 and sometimes it was up to 24. That's a 39% difference which would really impact the ratios if we did want to fixate on the specifics of the interview to offer numbers.

I would create about three times the amount of interview slots to vacancies plus have a slight contingency built in, but I rarely filled all the interview slots due to people's availability, last-minute cancellations and no-shows. If I had a good run of interviewing, I often didn't fill the contingency interview slots where they were not needed. I also had about 15% of people decline/renege the offer where they accepted other roles. No-shows even happen on vacation schemes too (I have had several despite them being on-boarded as an employee).

But I would never say that anyone had a 1 in 3 chance of being successful at securing a VS. It really doesn't work like that. Your chances are determined by how you perform, not by how many people are being interviewed.
thanks for this and you are completely rights hahahhaha its just so hard to try and not get caught up in these details!!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

law23

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022

Thanks for this Jessica, I have an AC tomorrow and it's really reduced my nerves!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Is it worth mentioning upcoming VSs on direct TC applications or other VS schemes on the work experience section? Is it too cocky? Or unnecessary?
    Definitely should be included somewhere in an application.

It might not be suited to a work experience section (sometimes you can't put future dates in) and you wouldn't be able to describe it anyway. But referencing it elsewhere in an application, such as in a cover letter, motivational question, or an extra information section to me makes sense (just keep it super brief rather than explaining it).

Reactions: jnice and ChicoAnon
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.