TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
Jan 15, 2023
I go to a uni where career is very much a status thing and pretty much everyone in my year wants to be a commercial solicitor, and sometimes I feel so embarrassed I haven't gotten a job yet even though I'm in my final year. I know it's nothing to be embarrassed about, but I guess I can't help feeling that when my juniors going through the applications process ask me about it or I see my friends getting offers :/ And being an international student makes it feel like I am on a time crunch. Just wanted to vent a bit, still determined to keep going on though ><
Never be embarrassed about who you are or what you do.

Think of yourself as a tapestry made up of millions of tiny components. Every one of your fellow students is also a tapestry but you are all completely different to one another in thousands of ways. Every single one will have bits missing, pulled threads, blots of some sort on and they are your successes, failures, lessons learnt and so on.

Every tapestry is beautiful in its own way and will all suit different spaces. Some will look perfect in one room but not so great in another.

The same goes for you and your peers.

Not every trainee will suit commercial law and I suspect many will pursue it simply because they feel as you do.

Much better, though, I think, is to understand where you’re best suited and strive for that. Life is too short to be unhappy especially in the pursuit of keeping up appearances.

Back to tapestry though, each one in its ideal setting is just as perfect, loved and valued as any other and more-so than one in the wrong place. So, be true to yourself, be proud of your journey and your choices and what anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Chances are these people won’t be in your life in a few years so don’t live to impress them. They’ll probably respect you more (even envy you) for having the strength to be comfortable and confident in what you’re doing.
Chin up!

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
Never be embarrassed about who you are or what you do.

Think of yourself as a tapestry made up of millions of tiny components. Every one of your fellow students is also a tapestry but you are all completely different to one another in thousands of ways. Every single one will have bits missing, pulled threads, blots of some sort on and they are your successes, failures, lessons learnt and so on.

Every tapestry is beautiful in its own way and will all suit different spaces. Some will look perfect in one room but not so great in another.

The same goes for you and your peers.

Not every trainee will suit commercial law and I suspect many will pursue it simply because they feel as you do.

Much better, though, I think, is to understand where you’re best suited and strive for that. Life is too short to be unhappy especially in the pursuit of keeping up appearances.

Back to tapestry though, each one in its ideal setting is just as perfect, loved and valued as any other and more-so than one in the wrong place. So, be true to yourself, be proud of your journey and your choices and what anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Chances are these people won’t be in your life in a few years so don’t live to impress them. They’ll probably respect you more (even envy you) for having the strength to be comfortable and confident in what you’re doing.
Chin up!
That was really eloquently said @Tattyasha!

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Does anyone know Dechert’s grad rec phone number please ☺️
they dont have a grad rec specific number- you can call their London reception number which is on their website and they can transfer you to grad rec. Good luck trying to get in touch with them though, I've called them several times over the last few weeks in order to get feedback on my AC back in November and they don't pick up. Once someone picked up from grad rec and said they'd be in touch to arrange feedback and they never did. SO unprofessional and disappointing especially because in an email they said they would happy to give feedback... then where tf is it?!?!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
TC secured!!!💪🏼🤩 Thank you so much to everyone on this forum for insightful posts and absolutely brilliant advice - couldn’t have done it without you all, and wishing everyone the very best with applications ❤️
Amazing news - congratulations!

excited fa cup GIF by BBC

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
they dont have a grad rec specific number- you can call their London reception number which is on their website and they can transfer you to grad rec. Good luck trying to get in touch with them though, I've called them several times over the last few weeks in order to get feedback on my AC back in November and they don't pick up. Once someone picked up from grad rec and said they'd be in touch to arrange feedback and they never did. SO unprofessional and disappointing especially because in an email they said they would happy to give feedback... then where tf is it?!?!
Oh wow ok! So sorry you went through that! I think I can wave goodbye to my AC then, as I really cannot attend the date I’ve been given 😢

• Sad
Reactions: future.trainee
D

daisy_yawn

They haven't replied to an open day reimbursement from October either. They seem to be notorious for this kind of silence

BonanzaBih_

Esteemed Member
Jan 17, 2023
Has anyone heard from BCLP post AC?
My friend got an offer last Friday
I go to a uni where career is very much a status thing and pretty much everyone in my year wants to be a commercial solicitor, and sometimes I feel so embarrassed I haven't gotten a job yet even though I'm in my final year. I know it's nothing to be embarrassed about, but I guess I can't help feeling that when my juniors going through the applications process ask me about it or I see my friends getting offers :/ And being an international student makes it feel like I am on a time crunch. Just wanted to vent a bit, still determined to keep going on though ><
im in the exact same boat and feel the same way especially on the international side. But I have faith in us :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.