TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Never be embarrassed about who you are or what you do.

Think of yourself as a tapestry made up of millions of tiny components. Every one of your fellow students is also a tapestry but you are all completely different to one another in thousands of ways. Every single one will have bits missing, pulled threads, blots of some sort on and they are your successes, failures, lessons learnt and so on.

Every tapestry is beautiful in its own way and will all suit different spaces. Some will look perfect in one room but not so great in another.

The same goes for you and your peers.

Not every trainee will suit commercial law and I suspect many will pursue it simply because they feel as you do.

Much better, though, I think, is to understand where you’re best suited and strive for that. Life is too short to be unhappy especially in the pursuit of keeping up appearances.

Back to tapestry though, each one in its ideal setting is just as perfect, loved and valued as any other and more-so than one in the wrong place. So, be true to yourself, be proud of your journey and your choices and what anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Chances are these people won’t be in your life in a few years so don’t live to impress them. They’ll probably respect you more (even envy you) for having the strength to be comfortable and confident in what you’re doing.
    Chin up!
    I like the tapestry analogy - what a thoughtful and perceptive way of framing it ☺️

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Osborne Clarke AC! I literally have only 1 day to prepare as I was on the reserve list and was just informed that I have a place on the AC with no other slots available. Any advice would be much appreciated as I am nervous!
    I don't know you but feel your pain. As just practising WG takes a lot of time and I don't know why law firms only give 1 day to prepare for an AC. That is brutal./ Good luck I hope it goes well.

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    To add on @daisy_yawn's comment, I would say use all 10 days to prepare for ACs generally but 2-3 days for AC-specific questions (i.e., why us, their recent deals, questions around specific practice areas) is enough if you're doing it full time. If you balance other obligations, I think around 4-5 days?

Having more time to prepare and think deeply about why you want to work at that firm + preparing specific questions you know will come up is always better than cramming in 2 days but it can be done if you're not planning on doing anything else other than work/eat/sleep/gym.

EDIT: it also depends on the type of AC you're doing. If it involves a technical component (i.e., A&O case studies), I think more time is needed.
    I also think there will be somewhat an overlap in the content that you are revising in some cases and especially if you are applying to similar firms. For example, for competency answers you will be drawing from the same examples (perhaps will need to tailor your wording slightly to the firm). The same goes for commercial awareness answers if you are applying to firms with similar strengths. You will already know your topics of interest you'd like to discuss. You will only need to add some knowledge which is specific to the firm, like a recent deal they have done in that area.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretrainee202X

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Never be embarrassed about who you are or what you do.

Think of yourself as a tapestry made up of millions of tiny components. Every one of your fellow students is also a tapestry but you are all completely different to one another in thousands of ways. Every single one will have bits missing, pulled threads, blots of some sort on and they are your successes, failures, lessons learnt and so on.

Every tapestry is beautiful in its own way and will all suit different spaces. Some will look perfect in one room but not so great in another.

The same goes for you and your peers.

Not every trainee will suit commercial law and I suspect many will pursue it simply because they feel as you do.

Much better, though, I think, is to understand where you’re best suited and strive for that. Life is too short to be unhappy especially in the pursuit of keeping up appearances.

Back to tapestry though, each one in its ideal setting is just as perfect, loved and valued as any other and more-so than one in the wrong place. So, be true to yourself, be proud of your journey and your choices and what anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

Chances are these people won’t be in your life in a few years so don’t live to impress them. They’ll probably respect you more (even envy you) for having the strength to be comfortable and confident in what you’re doing.
    Chin up!
    Thank you, I really appreciate your response. Love the analogy. I've wanted to be a lawyer for so long I never really thought what else I could do... I really hope I find my perfect room one day though!

Reactions: Tattyasha

Tattyasha

Distinguished Member
    Jan 15, 2023
    Thank you, I really appreciate your response. Love the analogy. I've wanted to be a lawyer for so long I never really thought what else I could do... I really hope I find my perfect room one day though!
    Not at all. I understand completely. I’ve wanted to be a lawyer as long as I can remember. At 34 I’m still trying to get there. Believe me, I understand more than most what it’s like to feel embarrassed, undeserving or unworthy, especially when I stand in a room with my husband at some event (he’s a CFO) and all I get asked is “so what do you do?” I’m a mother to 3 under 4, just finished my degree from home and have two property renovations on the go yet I freeze and instantly feel I’m actually nothing, unemployed with no real prospects. So I answer “oh not much really, I’m just mum at the moment” and want the ground to swallow me whole.
    So I get it (and I’m working on taking my own advice 😉). You absolutely have this 💪🏻

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.