TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Hi Guys!
Does Anyone have experienced the Legal High Potential Assessment and Video Interview for Dentons ?
This is for direct TC.
Any insights or advice is appreciated.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Just got my rejection from Freshfields, so make that two vac scheme rejections after assessment centres(rejected from Hogans too).

Feeling pretty devastated can't lie and not sure how to take any of this positively. They said they'd offer a feedback call in late March which feels like ages from now.
I had 2 rejections post AC's this year as well so can definitely relate to how you feel.

I initially felt like I must be doing something wrong and i was disappointed that I was 'throwing' away these opportunities. Honestly, its important to reflect and think personally about where you felt you were weaker in the tasks- Take a long moment to reflect and think about where you can improve and draw up a plan about how you will fix that.

Secondly, remember that these things are so competitive, for the most part people miss out on a place very marginally, and a huge element of luck plays a role- were you able to build a rapport with the interviewer/did you fit the interviewers vibe. If circumstances were slightly different, you may have gotten a place. So to take away, remember that you were SO close and are SO close to getting a vacation scheme. Just a little more work, and you're sure to be successful in your next.

Last edited:

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    I had 2 rejections post AC's this year as well so can definitely relate to how you feel.

I initially felt like I must be doing something wrong and i was disappointed that I was 'throwing' away these opportunities. Honestly, its important to reflect and think personally about where you felt you were weaker in the tasks- Take a long moment to reflect and think about where you can improve and draw up a plan about how you will fix that.

Secondly, remember that these things are so competitive, for the most part people miss out on a place very marginally, and a huge element of luck plays a role- were you able to build a rapport with the interviewer/did you fit the interviewers element. If circumstances were slightly different, you may have gotten a place. So to take away, remember that you were SO close and are SO close to getting a vacation scheme. Just a little more work, and you're sure to be successful in your next.
    In terms of building rapport with interviewers that was probably my weakest point, I felt that some of my answers didn't do enough to impress and I did notice an eye roll when I mentioned that I like studying law 'generally'. I am not sure if I would get these opportunities again as you say they are super competitive and now I'm in a position where I would likely have no vac scheme which doesn't help my odds at all. I believe Training Contract applications are even more competitive as people would have more legal experience possibly on vac schemes or as paralegals.

The whole process just builds your hopes up just to crush them at the last stage.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    In terms of building rapport with interviewers that was probably my weakest point, I felt that some of my answers didn't do enough to impress and I did notice an eye roll when I mentioned that I like studying law 'generally'. I am not sure if I would get these opportunities again as you say they are super competitive and now I'm in a position where I would likely have no vac scheme which doesn't help my odds at all. I believe Training Contract applications are even more competitive as people would have more legal experience possibly on vac schemes or as paralegals.

The whole process just builds your hopes up just to crush them at the last stage.
    You will get these opportunities again- if you made it to AC stage for 2 highly competitive law firms, both you and your applications are strong, and more opportunities will come your way for sure!

All you have to do is just stay optimistic and resilient and keep going- you got this!! Interviews and AC's largely take place in Feb so it's not over this cycle AT ALL! :)

I've always said the initial stage of getting past the application stage is the hardest stage in that after you reach a certain point, it's impossible to really improve the application much. But how you present yourself in video interviews, and your commercial accumen can improve SO much and can really be worked on, so really you have an easy job to do- to improve and work on the place where you can actually improve a lot. The AC stage is the stage you have most control over, so just keep going and keep developing your understanding of the business world and commercial law

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022

You’ll get a chance again! Even if it’s next year, it’ll happen. I thought I’d blown my chances last year by failing 2 ACs and also failing to convert my VS. Now, I have had multiple AC invites this year, and many more apps at different stages in the process. Ofc I’ve had many rejections too (at different stages), but realistically basically everyone who applies is good enough (otherwise they wouldn’t bother applying!!), so we just have to accept that this process is competitive and that our time will come when it comes ☺️

jennifer

Esteemed Member
    Oct 4, 2020
    Just got my rejection from Freshfields, so make that two vac scheme rejections after assessment centres(rejected from Hogans too).

Feeling pretty devastated can't lie and not sure how to take any of this positively. They said they'd offer a feedback call in late March which feels like ages from now.
    you can ask for an earlier feedback!

I told them I have an upcoming AC and hope to gain some feedback to improve and they offered an earlier timeslot :)

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Does anyone have any pointers for VIs? I’ve done 9 this cycle, I’ve been invited to 3 more VIs and don’t feel like I have any luck in passing any atm. If feels pretty heartbreaking, didn’t realise it would be such an obstacle for me.

if anyone can give tips, just generic tips, please do! Feeling so drained from this cycle :(

Reactions: Autotunedbird

Autotunedbird

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 15, 2021
    Does anyone have any pointers for VIs? I’ve done 9 this cycle, I’ve been invited to 3 more VIs and don’t feel like I have any luck in passing any atm. If feels pretty heartbreaking, didn’t realise it would be such an obstacle for me.

if anyone can give tips, just generic tips, please do! Feeling so drained from this cycle :(
    You ALREADY have the luck. The fact that you made it past the application stage means they like what they see in you and would love to have you on your team. I got to the virtual interview stage at my favourite firm last year and it was the lack of confidence in believing in myself that they had already chosen me that knocked me out during that interview. I didn't see why they chose me. Find peace in knowing that THEY CHOSE YOU.

Autotunedbird

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 15, 2021

And practice practice practice! Stand in front of a mirror, and ask someone to help you but put in a lot of practice in the type of questions they are going to ask. I did every research imaginable for that interview but didn't practice my answers a single time and that made me blank a lot of the research I had done. The pressure really does get to you in that moment.

Reactions: Ambs123

MoTheMedic

Nov 10, 2022
    Took my test mid December. I heard back about 3 days after my test in December with invite to phone interview. Booked late Jan and received AC invite the day after the phone interview. A classmate of mine took her test in January and hasn't heard anything from them, I think it's to do with how they recruit on a rolling basis.
    Was this for the TC or the DAS? I took my test 10 working days ago

Harrison.jm

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 25, 2022

Very happy to take this up in PM

Reactions: Ambs123

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021

Some great tips have already been given, but here are a few more:

Nail your why law and why x firm points by drawing on what you wrote in your application, but broaden each point with more details. (as @Autotunedbird mentioned, take time to practice so you can get it under the set time).

For each question, try to focus on saying a few points well with clear examples/depth rather than trying to squeeze too much info into a few minutes. This will help if you get easily flustered or lose your train of thought - a few points are much easier to remember. Concluding your points also helps - this can be just a very simple conclusion at the end of your answer.

Also, remember to smile - the pressure of a vi can seem immense, but you've gotten this far, so believe in yourself and try your best!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.