Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
perhaps I should have specified this is what I meant in my original comment. I simply mean overrepresentation compared to the general population. I think if you start getting into this then you would have to control for an innumerable number of factors that would be impossibly hard to calculate. i.e grades, university attended etc
Hahaha bruh really started an online flame war just to flex about the paper they wrote

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Common CorpSmith W. You only need to do a LinkedIn search and attend open days and you can see for yourself.
White boys are the minority there.
For those who think what I said is ludicrous

Attachments

• CCD10F64-804D-461E-A7D0-CB11CF7A58DA.jpeg
    CCD10F64-804D-461E-A7D0-CB11CF7A58DA.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 449B7A15-7A4B-43FD-BB73-3E6EFB6151B6.jpeg
    449B7A15-7A4B-43FD-BB73-3E6EFB6151B6.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 232

Denver

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 20, 2020
yeah and ngl the comment "pale, male and stale" is a little offensive. Would not make a comment like this about other groups in regards to a diff profession.

There is also an overrepresentation of some minorities and women in a lot of firms.
sorry, probably shouldn't have used that phrase. when i was at vinson & elkins, the phrase was used by one of their female partners who basically leads the organisation 'arbitral women' (an amazing organisation for any aspiring women commercial lawyers who are interested in international arbitration). the phrase has basically been popular ever since they coined it in this publication : https://ciarb.org/media/11400/aw-thac-the-power-of-gender-parity.pdf

but apologies in advance if i caused any offence x
Yes, I have read this phrase in many academic articles relating to international arbitration, as the field is dominated by people with such characteristics and is meant to show how more developed countries continue to exploit less developed ones through legal means. The main legal representatives of more developed countries are male, white and old. The majority of arbitration judges also are male, white and old. The main legal representation for less developed countries is female (and of colour I think).
I personally find it important to have descriptive vocabulary that shows how legal, financial, and scientific institutions remain largely exclusive to male, European old people, especially in the highest positions.

157gg

Oct 5, 2022
folks, folks, we don't need to get into an online debate about diversity. sorry, i brought it up. let's just try to be supportive and encourage each other - the application process is challenging enough. again, my apologies for the offhand remarks x
but tbf, if we can’t bring it up here, how do we bring it up in an interview, as a trainee, as an associate, as an aspiring partner? I think it’s a valuable discussion that should always be had.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Here are the statistics then straight from your own source:

"For firms mainly doing corporate law, 18% of lawyers are from a Black, Asian or minority ethnic background – 10% are Asian and 2% are Black. ".

and on how many 'Black, Asian or minority ethnic background' people there are in the UK: "...17% and this is the figure we have used for the overall proportion of lawyers from a Black, Asian and minority ethnic background".

---

So 18% in corporate law versus 17% in general population... not sure that is an overrepresentation in my books but anyway, back to discussing PFOs.
yes, this is still classified as an "overrepresentation" regardless of it being slight? also its 13% and 17%

Last edited:

lawstudent1

Oct 19, 2022
folks, folks, we don't need to get into an online debate about diversity. sorry, i brought it up. let's just try to be supportive and encourage each other - the application process is challenging enough. again, my apologies for the offhand remarks x
At least your remark gave some VS hopefuls a chance to demonstrate the extent of their critical thinking skills for the rest of us 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.