TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison.jm

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2022
I recently did a vac scheme that I didn't convert (worked so so hard during it), and now have one coming up in Spring but am scared the same's gonna happen :(
two vac schemes are two more than most. You'll be better prepared now that you've been through the process. You clearly have the talent!

lawstudent22

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2022
Congrats! I've got a feeling my two above average and three average is unlikely to be successful :(
I saw from other years' posts that there was a huge mix of scores that got progressed, so I would say you still have a great chance! They also look at your SJT strengths and grades etc.

• ℹ️
Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

Denver

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 20, 2020
I mean that you can't punish your peers when they have done nothing to you for something that their ancestors did to your ancestors. How would even begin to calculate wrongness then?
I don't know why such a calculation is necessary. It's more about acknowledging that certain things are inherited from previous generations and that is something this and future generations should attempt to rectify and mitigate. It's not about assigning blame but identifying issues and finding a solution that recognises disparities :)

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022
    There is also an overrepresentation of some minorities and women in a lot of firms.
    Care to share some sources? Even law firms admit that they have an issue with lack of diversity and inclusion. Even when they may hire people from diverse backgrounds, there are issues with retention which says a lot about how superficial some firms' efforts have been.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Which firms have an over representation of minorities? This is something new.
    no, this is absolutely nothing new. I am happy to provide you with some data. This data is from 2018 so it is worth looking at the diversity data at the time. This is from diversityuk.org "In 2018 about 13.8% of the UK population was from a minority ethnic background"

In the year 2018 these are some examples of some firms and the percentage of their trainees from Ethnic Minority backgrounds:

Allen & Overy 26%
    Clifford Chance 38%
    HSF 26%
    Latham 33%
    White & Case 23%
    Linklaters 31%

Overall in 2018 the % of trainees from ethnic minorities in US city firms was 21% and in UK city firms was 20%

This is an "Overrepresentation" in proportion to the population

Again,
    I do not disagree that there is a problem at partnership level, but the denial of the data is frustrating.

I would also remark that diversity has likely improved from 2018 but more recent data is not so readily available.

Source: https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firm-diversity-201819

NotLord Denning

Esteemed Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    I don't know why such a calculation is necessary. It's more about acknowledging that certain things are inherited from previous generations and that is something this and future generations should attempt to rectify and mitigate. It's not about assigning blame but identifying issues and finding a solution that recognises disparities.
    I agree that acknowledgement of past misdeeds is obviously a good thing - but you don't have to take away from people who are not the cause of those misdeeds in the present day. The calculation is necessary because as the other guy said if you want to do a retrospective correction then you would want to make sure that you don't go too far in the opposite direction because that's obviously discrimination.

I guess the issue is that I keep hearing about the theorizing of this without any actual substantive methods on how to resolve such issues fairly.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    I crashed a drink events of theirs recently - almost everyone I'd met went to Oxford. Also, I was like 1 of 3 people of colour in the room the entire night. I basically drank all their champagne and saw first-hand how pale, stale, and male commercial law can be.

View attachment 4746
    as Jack Harlow would say,

Am I fancy enough? Am I dancing enough?
    Am I handsome enough? Tell me right now, so I can be enough

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Care to share some sources? Even law firms admit that they have an issue with lack of diversity and inclusion. Even when they may hire people from diverse backgrounds, there are issues with retention which says a lot about how superficial some firms' efforts have been.
    sure, see my recent comment :) I think a lot of the issue is at partnership level

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022
    I agree that acknowledgement of past misdeeds is obviously a good thing - but you don't have to take away from people who are not the cause of those misdeeds in the present day. The calculation is necessary because as the other guy said if you want to do a retrospective correction then you would want to make sure that you don't go too far in the opposite direction because that's obviously discrimination.

I guess the issue is that I keep hearing about the theorizing of this without any actual substantive methods on how to resolve such issues fairly.
    The issue is that it is not simply a 'past misdeed'... Colonialism and racism(s) have had everlasting repercussions. Read up on it.

cyberjaz1116

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 31, 2022
    sure, see my recent comment :) I think a lot of the issue is at partnership level
    As you said, even with an 'overrepresentation' (I personally wouldn't think 52% of females is an 'overrepresentation' with it really close to 50%) of minorities at the trainee level, law firms are still heavily middle class white male-dominated at the partner level. If minorities are given an 'unfair' advantage, how do they get weeded out in the process?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.