TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daisy_yawn

white people are not oppressed.
Racism isn't just oppression though, no? Racism is simply prejudice or discrimination directed at someone based on their race, and if this happens to be white people, that's racism. I'm not a fan of double standards, so hate it when people say racism can't be committed against white people, or sexism against men because it's just not true.

mdoeslaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 9, 2023
    Can't say - he may come back for an eighth time.

Pug GIF
    ngl this one cracked me up

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    no, this is absolutely nothing new. I am happy to provide you with some data. This data is from 2018 so it is worth looking at the diversity data at the time. This is from diversityuk.org "In 2018 about 13.8% of the UK population was from a minority ethnic background"

In the year 2018 these are some examples of some firms and the percentage of their trainees from Ethnic Minority backgrounds:

Allen & Overy 26%
    Clifford Chance 38%
    HSF 26%
    Latham 33%
    White & Case 23%
    Linklaters 31%

Overall in 2018 the % of trainees from ethnic minorities in US city firms was 21% and in UK city firms was 20%

This is an "Overrepresentation" in proportion to the population

Again,
    I do not disagree that there is a problem at partnership level, but the denial of the data is frustrating.

I would also remark that diversity has likely improved from 2018 but more recent data is not so readily available.

Source: https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firm-diversity-201819
    I think it's disingenuous to compare these stats against the UK population to conclude that there is overrepresentation of minorities (meanwhile implying that there is positive discrimination towards them). This train of reasoning would only hold if you compared the respective stats to the applicant pool of each of these firms, NOT the wider UK pop.
    Also note the firms you listed are based in London. Without looking this up, BAME proportions in London are most certainly significantly higher than the 13.8% you quoted. Londoners will be overrepresented in the applicant pools for these firms and naturally lead to greater representation there.

Also note the point of intersectionality someone else made, where there may actually be overrepresentation of some minority groups (for whatever reason), the effect of this "BAME" bunching is that BAME stats often mask gross underrepresentation of minorities within the group. Hence a conclusion that 'minorities are overrepresented' even if true for some, lacks nuance.

NotLord Denning

Esteemed Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    Of course they are not oppressed, I don't think anyone in this thread has ever argued that they are. That said, specific instances/practices might leave white people relatively disadvantaged in certain contexts. The lack of oppression against them does not negate the possibility of such scenarios materialising.
    I honestly think in the specific instance of law firm job applications nobody is actually that under advantaged - if anything affirmative action makes it easier for minorities to get in

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022
    Racism isn't just oppression though, no? Racism is simply prejudice or discrimination directed at someone of a different race, and if this happens to be white people, that's racism. I'm not a fan of double standards, so hate it when people say racism can't be committed against white people, or sexism against men because it's just not true.
    First of all, 'reverse' racism fails to address the *power* dynamic. Power is the keyword here. I do think it is interesting that the people who are so outspoken about 'reverse' racism are the same ones who tend to minimise the historical context and its implications in the present and future. There's a name for that... ;)

Denver

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 20, 2020
    Out of interest, at trainee/associate level, what exactly do you consider to be a 'HUGE' overrepresentation, given the racial demographics of the UK? Nobody is denying that there is an issue at partner level, but 82% of the UK is white.
    With 'HUGE overrepresentation', I am referring to the tradition that women or minorities were not even allowed to practise law. This means that practically all UK lawyers up until about 100 years ago were exclusively male and predominantly white, and they were seen as the best for the jobs due to their gender and skin color (obviously, class also played a role). Therefore I do not see a slight overrepresentation of minorities or women with as much worry given the historic underrepresentation.

idktbh7

Standard Member
    Nov 7, 2022
    I have just done a video interview and I had two minutes to answer the questions. But, I only answered some questions in a minute and a half as I felt I had said everything I needed to. Will this be viewed negatively?

Also, the webcam on my laptop isn't great and the background of my house isn't empty/white. Will this be a problem?
    Pretty much same story with me and the SPB interview. It was difficult to really develop on the questions asked. Wouldn't worry about it at all.

Reactions: Law Student

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    I honestly think in the specific instance of law firm job applications nobody is actually that under advantaged - if anything affirmative action makes it easier for minorities to get in
    I don’t think affirmative action works that way buddy. Affirmative action doesn’t make it “easier”, it allows for equity. It levels the playing field for historically marginalized groups who have faced systemic barriers and discrimination, providing them with equal opportunities to succeed. It’s important to understand that affirmative action is not an “advantage” but moreso a correction.

NotLord Denning

Esteemed Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    First of all, 'reverse' racism fails to address the *power* dynamic. Power is the keyword here. I do think it is interesting that the people who are so outspoken about 'reverse' racism are the same ones who tend to minimise the historical context and its implications in the present and future. There's a name for that... ;)
    No long-standing dictionary definition of racism has ever accounted for a power dynamic. That introduction has been made by radical leftists who try to excuse racism towards certain races. But even if we don't consider that let's use a bit of common sense here. Regardless of whether we call it racism or not, being prejudiced towards another solely based on the colour of their skin is discrimination. And unfair discrimination is wrong regardless of the perpetrator's or the victim's race

AnOptimisticStudent

Standard Member
  • May 20, 2021
    A quick google search will tell you that affirmative action is actually illegal in the UK. Adding to this, to suggest that it somehow makes it “easier“ for minorities to get in is very, very offensive when minorities have traditionally been kept out of the legal industry and still have to fight tooth and nail to get a foot in the door. Really showing your true colours.

D

daisy_yawn

I wouldn't go as far as saying affirmative action makes is 'easier' for minorities than white people! It's still a highly merit-based selection process, and access initiatives and measures are aimed at levelling the playing field, not clearing the path entirely for minority students.

Last edited by a moderator:

NotLord Denning

Esteemed Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    I don’t think affirmative action works that way buddy. Affirmative action doesn’t make it “easier”, it allows for equity. It levels the playing field for historically marginalized groups who have faced systemic barriers and discrimination, providing them with equal opportunities to succeed. It’s important to understand that affirmative action is not an “advantage” but moreso a correction.
    But how does it do this? I know firms who have progressed applicants to the interview stage purely because they have a disability, for example. That to me is literally being prejudicial towards certain candidates not based on merit, but based on immutable characteristics.

pineappleonastick

Standard Member
    Feb 9, 2023
    I know you think you're being ever so nuanced with this take, but it's utter nonsense. Stop repurposing words to suit your agenda, which is coming across as a pretty discriminatory.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.