TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2020
Hi all, I received a Gibson Dunn rejection last week but my rejection stated that they were impressed with my application and encouraged me to reapply next year.

I think it may possibly be genuine - I did apply at 11pm on deadline day and they are rolling but I just wanted to double check - is this Gibson Dunn's standard rejection wording? Has anyone else received a rejection?

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    bruh ? does anyone know if gibson dunn are still getting back to people? I have not heard post app when I applied in mid december? I do not really care by now as I assumed I missed a PFO tbh but I havent got anything? anyone know? I am aware they are holding 2nd stage interviews at least.
    in the exact same boat, maybe they want to marinate the pfo before serving it to us :(

marfra

Jan 31, 2023
    I've not finished it cover to cover yet, but the parts I have read do make me question commercial law as a career for me and the value I feel like I could add if I were to go down that route.

I'm a paralegal in a commercial firm atm and a lot of the work banking & finance and corporate lawyers do, for me personally, just doesn't feel valuable to me despite the amount of zeros the deals are worth.

I wouldn't blanketly call commercial law a bulls*it job by any means, but after aspiring to be a commercial lawyer all throughout university only to find out how dreadfully uninspiring it is in practice - like, I've never heard a solicitor speak about negotiating share purchase agreements with joy or seen anyone express a semblance of passion about drafting a debenture. It also doesn't help that clients are straight up delusional about deadlines and expect responses at antisocial times, which leads to solicitors being constantly stressed.

I think a career will feel like bulls*it job if you're just doing it because you feel like you should (for status & prestiege etc), rather than if you personally get any value out of it.
    i have messaged you privately:) i would like to add i too think people gravely underestimate the intrinsic value to be gained from ones career at their peril!

Reactions: Alison C

traineedreamer

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Oct 23, 2019
    I had my AC on Tuesday. What they said was we were the last AC for the spring scheme. Grad rec was meeting Wednesday to discuss all the applicants from all the ACs and make their decision. Grad rec also said we would here back Thursday/Friday, latest by next week Tuesday. Still have been refreshing my email every 2 minutes though
    That's very helpful. After my AC they told us latest we would hear wad today sigh

Reactions: aspiring112

Mohammed A

Oct 21, 2018
    who would perhaps be Macfarlanes competitors?
    Similar to what others have said, but if you're looking at firms who have very strong corporate and private client practices a la Macfarlanes, I'd say that Charles Russell Speechlys are a close competitor in a way. There are some differences between them to note though - e.g. CRS is very global and based in private wealth hubs, whereas Macfarlanes only have a London base from which they do all of their international work.

TheBestSolicitorInTheWorld

Distinguished Member
    Nov 10, 2022
    sorry, probably shouldn't have used that phrase. when i was at vinson & elkins, the phrase was used by one of their female partners who basically leads the organisation 'arbitral women' (an amazing organisation for any aspiring women commercial lawyers who are interested in international arbitration). the phrase has basically been popular ever since they coined, see this publication : https://ciarb.org/media/11400/aw-thac-the-power-of-gender-parity.pdf

but apologies in advance if i caused any offence x
    This further established my love for Vinson & Elkins, higher pay and un afraid to speak the truth. Love to see it!

Reactions: j.s.cox and Uvaia
    D

daisy_yawn

bruh ? does anyone know if gibson dunn are still getting back to people? I have not heard post app when I applied in mid december? I do not really care by now as I assumed I missed a PFO tbh but I havent got anything? anyone know? I am aware they are holding 2nd stage interviews at least.
    In the same boat hahaha accepted a PFO agesss ago but would like some confirmation!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As I posted earlier, people are welcome to take the discussions around diversity and discrimination to the general discussion thread (as long as they can keep the conversation civilised) and start a new thread/conversation in there.

All other posts and any responses to them on this subject in this thread will be deleted from here on in. This is purely on the basis that the discussion is derailing this thread's purpose. Not everyone wants to see people’s opinions on this topic, but they do want to get updates on recruitment processes for vacation schemes.

If the topic is taken elsewhere, please keep it civil. You may not agree with people’s opinions, but there is no need to make personal swipes at each other to try and prove your point. Behaviour such as that will be moderated and any warnings/bans will be implemented if required.

aishaalexandra

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 3, 2022
    White & Case AC! Completed my VI this Tuesday.

I was a bit confused about the time slots though. It gives you an option to book one 45min time slot (I assume for the interview), when does the written exercise take place? Right after?
    So the time slot for us referenced the interview. On the day you receive a link to complete the written exercise at any point in that day. Could be before or after your interview so long as it’s completed before (I think) midnight.

Reactions: aniraz and Solov
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.