TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    Hi! Does anyone have any experience with Arnold & Porter (having applied previously or applying this cycle)? I have a few Qs about the firm and process (I have emailed grad recruit but not yet heard back).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Asked this before but i’m desperate!
    Does anyone have any experience doing a Freshfields Vacation Scheme/ TC seat or know anyone who has any? Really torn with choosing my department preference: it's between Global Transactions- Corporate or the Disputes team for me! I'm also scared that the Global Transactions seat might be too technical. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    You might want to send a private message to @Mahesh for his views on this.

My view is that either way you would be fine. Even if a department is deemed more technical, they won't expect the vacation scheme students to have that technical knowledge. I have seen non-law students with little exposure to commercial work thrive in both departments anyway (albeit a long time ago now!).

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Does anyone know whether Paul Hastings does work placements? On lawcareers it says they offer informal work placements but there is nothing on their website that indicates they do? Is it worth emailing them about this?
    Chambers Student says "The firm does not run a formal vacation scheme, but it does offer up to 12 work placements each year, usually in early summer. These are for one week each and are paid. Interested candidates should apply directly to Yvette Croucher, managing director, talent management, with a CV and cover letter. Croucher informs us that she's more inclined to offer placements to those who might not otherwise get a chance to gain experience in a City practice and support the firm’s desire to attract diverse applicants. Put it this way: if you've already completed six vacation schemes with City firms, it's unlikely you'll land an offer.".

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    Chambers Student says "The firm does not run a formal vacation scheme, but it does offer up to 12 work placements each year, usually in early summer. These are for one week each and are paid. Interested candidates should apply directly to Yvette Croucher, managing director, talent management, with a CV and cover letter. Croucher informs us that she's more inclined to offer placements to those who might not otherwise get a chance to gain experience in a City practice and support the firm’s desire to attract diverse applicants. Put it this way: if you've already completed six vacation schemes with City firms, it's unlikely you'll land an offer.".
    Alright then, I've sent an email asking if I can apply for a work placement so will see if they are still offering them 'informally'.

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Reed Smith

We have now had the opportunity to review your Video Interview and after careful consideration we regret to advise that we are unable to offer you a place.

We understand that this will be disappointing news, but would like to stress that, by progressing to this stage, you were already in the top 40% of all applications received this year. However, unfortunately places at our Assessment Centre are limited, and the standard has been extremely high.

Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback, however, please find attached a document which outlines some general feedback which we hope will be useful.

Thank you for your interest in Reed Smith and we wish you all the best for future applications.

PFO
    I think it’s mad how 40% of applicants got invited to complete the VI, the third stage of the application process.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.