TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    hi all, I was wondering whether the WG test for Baker McKenzie, is like a typical WG? I remember when they first included a test in their recruitment process it was bespoke to BM and differed from the traditional WG, but I am wondering if this has changed over the last couple of years and they are now using a "proper WG"

• ℹ️
    Reactions: commerciallawyer2910

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker i applied on the 5th January for the summer vac scheme and haven’t heard from white & case. I know you don’t have a crystal ball (sadly) but if others who applied after me have heard back, should I assume it’s likely to be a PFO? Thanks!
    No - I don’t think you should assume that unfortunately (or is that fortunately!).

elladarby

Feb 3, 2023
    Hi All,

I have a vacation scheme AC tomorrow at Mills & reeve, and was wondering if anyone had any final tips/tricks?

It consists of:
    - an individual case study presentation
    - a group exercise
    - an interview
    - a written exercise

Any advice at all would be so so appreciated.

Thanks!

• 🤝
    Reactions: thelawstudent2000

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hi guys, I've officially ended my first VS cycle and managed to nab two vac schemes! I won't be on here anymore hopefully but I wanted to share my applications for Davis Polk, Sullivan & Cromwell and W illkie. I got rejected post AC for DP and S&C and post V&I for W illkie but wanted to share what I'd written for any future applicants needing inspiration (not plagarism xD). I won't share my apps for the two I got for privacy reasons but will do so after the schemes for all future applicants. All the best to those currently still in the app process and hope future applicants will find this.

Attachments

• Wilkie .docx
      17.8 KB · Views: 258
    • Davis Polk Redacted.docx
      16.1 KB · Views: 208
    • S&C Redacted.docx
      14 KB · Views: 226

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    The highs and lows that come with an application cycle are something else. I had to take some time to digest it all today. Never in my life have I been so nervous about emails. Like who actually invented VIs and why are they so hard!

Can't imagine what I would be like if I got invited to an AC or final interview.

I don't envy those waiting for decisions post-AC. You must be some of the strongest people on the planet!

Everyone should be really proud of themselves and celebrate each success as it comes along. Patting myself on the back every time I get past the application stage has helped me manage my own expectations and given me some perspective. I see everything after that as a lottery that I may win or may not win.

As long as we all persevere, we will all get there in the end!

ISABE11A

Dec 29, 2021
    Hi All,

I have a vacation scheme AC tomorrow at Mills & reeve, and was wondering if anyone had any final tips/tricks?

It consists of:
    - an individual case study presentation
    - a group exercise
    - an interview
    - a written exercise

Any advice at all would be so so appreciated.

Thanks!
    Congrats!! I had one last year, I passed the AC but flunked the interview (it used to be the final pre-VS stage).

I can’t advise on the case study presentation because ours was a group presentation. But it involved a lot commercial awareness (just pick 3 news stories, study them, try to relate them to the task somehow).

My written task related to the group case study presentation, so make sure you make enough notes during the presentation preperation time just in case!!

My interviewers read their questions off a script. It was the “why M&R, why law, tell me a time when….” questions, then 3 scenario questions eg “your supervisor gives you these 5 things to do, how would you prioritise them?”.

Good luck!!! And just enjoy it. I really enjoyed my M&R AC! And

Autotunedbird

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 15, 2021
    The highs and lows that come with an application cycle are something else. I had to take some time to digest it all today. Never in my life have I been so nervous about emails. Like who actually invented VIs and why are they so hard!

Can't imagine what I would be like if I got invited to an AC or final interview.

I don't envy those waiting for decisions post-AC. You must be some of the strongest people on the planet!

Everyone should be really proud of themselves and celebrate each success as it comes along. Patting myself on the back every time I get past the application stage has helped me manage my own expectations and given me some perspective. I see everything after that as a lottery that I may win or may not win.

As long as we all persevere, we will all get there in the end!

I relate entirely with you here, I haven't gotten to any interview stage yet despite applying to so many firms. It does get to me sometimes and I truly am happy to everyone here for how far you've all gotten! It's not easy.

Praying this week brings good news for everyone

Zm125

Oct 12, 2022
    hi all, I was wondering whether the WG test for Baker McKenzie, is like a typical WG? I remember when they first included a test in their recruitment process it was bespoke to BM and differed from the traditional WG, but I am wondering if this has changed over the last couple of years and they are now using a "proper WG"
    Issa regular shmegular WG bro

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    Just did my VI with CRS and blanked out for 10 seconds 😀 gutted because I really wanted to get through but it was my first VI so idk good practice maybe lol.

Edit: this happened because there was a loud banging on my door. Should I email grad rec informing them about this? Will this be taken into consideration? When I attended the open day, they said that if something like this interrupts the interview, 'we understand' . Don't know if it would be the right move to email them? @Jessica Booker any advice please?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.